Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, CR transplant here! You guys (merigayle, especially) have done an excellent job recreating the feel of that site pre-active.com!<br><br>
I'm planning on running the Burning River 100 in NE Ohio this summer. Since this is only the second year the race has been held, there's not a wealth of information available. Most of the info I found is from the race website. It was moderately helpful, but there aren't too many personal accounts of the race. Specifically, I'm looking for race reports or other tips about this course. This will be my first stab at a 100. From now, I only have about 16 or 17 weeks to train. I want to make my training as specific as possible to the terrain I'll encounter.<br><br>
Thanks to anyone that can help!

·
Registered
328 Posts
the first 30 miles or so are very flat and very runable. Dont fall for it, take your time and dont go out to fast. Then last year it got realllllllly hot. Some sections are longer then they say. At one point I believe it said 4 miles to the next aid station, well we ran about 45 minutes then hit a paved toe path where the miles were marked and did another 3 on that. But, we all had to go the same distance. Beware of miles 80 to 84. Very hilly and hard. This race is lots of fun as well though. At one point maybe around 60 miles or so you go though this little town, I think the whole town was out there to cheer us on. Another place you run thru these rocks that are so high it makes you seem you are in a cave. Then near the end is the many many stairs you have to climb...yuck. Great race though, great aid, very friendly volunteers, they will do anything for you. I think I will be there again as well.<br><br>
Later<br><br>
Marc

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
There is a message group on yahoo. You will get good responses to your questions there. I think you can find the link on the race website.<br><br>
The course is a good mix of all surfaces: road, trail, and towpath. There is a short rocky on the Ledges trail in the CVNP. Many good trails come after nightfall, including the "Sound of Music" hill near Pine Hollow, depending how fast you are.<br><br>
From my experience, comparatively speaking, the BR is about an hour faster than the Mohican course. Totally subjective and weather dependant opinion of mine, but there is much more road and towpath at BR than Mohican, and less elevation change than Mohican.<br><br>
Yes, it was hot last year. I worked the aid station at Station Road Bridge - not a cloud in the sky and it felt like a furnace. Add to fact that like sk8dog said, the first 30 miles are very fast and runnable, resulting in many runners out too fast in the early miles.<br><br>
There is an FA run coming up on miles 64-75 of the BR100 course next month. Check the Vertical Runner bulletin board website for info.<br><br>
I am going to work the Station Road Bridge AS (mile 30 & 36) again this year. Hopefully some cloud cover will provide a little relief from the sun.<br><br>
Good luck training.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It will be HOT and HUMID. Train as much as you can in hot nasty weather.<br>
The first part is very runnable; many many runners went out way too fast, take your time. It is a nice mix of running surfaces. I would wear gaiters, there is parts where you could end up with tiny rocks in your shoes. I don't think you need trail shoes to run it though.<br>
I'll be there, at some AS or another.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think I put my race report on CR. I'll try to find another copy to post. It's a fun run. I agree with the main details already posted. Hot - humid - lots of variety of running surface without anything too rugged. A few good hills. Light on water crossings unless it has been raining recently. Course is super well marked.<br><br>
Not really any special training required. Just normal 100 mile stuff. Get out and run. Run in the heat. Run hills. Run long. Run at night on trails.<br><br>
If you have any specific questions - send them out. We'll do our best to answer them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! It will be very helpful! I do have one specific question I couldn't find on the BR website or the accompanying Yahoo group- Are there any sections of asphalt I'd encounter during the hottest part of the day (11-6pm or so) on Saturday?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found my RR - posted it to the archive.<br><br>
At the 51ish mile mark you'll get a half mile of asphalt climbing up to Brandywine Falls.<br><br>
I thought the worst part was the towpath right before and after Station Bridge at around (25 - 34ish) miles. You're hitting it right around noon. It gets mostly sun and is baked hard - white crushed limestone, so the sun is reflecting right back at you.<br><br>
If you're at the front of the pack you may hit the couple miles of asphalt/all purpose trail between station K (Pine Lane) and L (Happy Days) ( on the split chart) from 4 - 6PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts