Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my final test race today. It was called the Boogie to Bridge 5k/10k/HM (Kamloops) and I chose to run 10k....5k out and 5k back on a more or less flat course along the N Thompson River. I had not run very much this week so I was a bit hesitant to push it much, despite my plan to run at 5:10 per km and see how long I could last. I woke up with legs feeling pretty good, including my sore adductor that has been bugging me for the last few months.<br><br>
Race was at 9:30 AM and I arrived about 45 min early and immediately went down the course to warm up. It was very narrow over the first 1.5k, and I realized it would be difficult to get up to speed quickly because of the size of the field (about 500 runners) and the number of walkers, so I resolved just to sit back and relax for the first couple of k's, and then try to push the pace for the final 8k. My kilometer splits were:<br><br>
6:24, (uphill and crowded) 5:22, (downhill) 5:29, 5:28, 5:29, 5:31, 5:27, 5:34, 5:38, (uphill) and a final 4:50, (downhill) for a total time of 54:56. My 5k splits were 28:05 and 26:50.<br><br>
The first k was very crowded with slow runners and walkers. The second was much better, and had a long slightly downhill portion that helped pick up a few seconds, but I lost them on the 9th k when I returned back up the same slope. The middle k's were very evenly run, and I felt like I was running on the edge of my ability for today. I could never seem to pick the pace up any faster without watching my HR go through the roof, so I just held the pace and slogged along. These k's suggest I should run around 5:40 for the HM, at least for the first 15k or so. The final k was mainly flat to downhill, but I picked up the pace and ran hard for the final 500 meters.<br><br>
Overall, a pedestrian effort meriting a C+ for results. I am not overjoyed, but am satisfied that it was all I had today. Next up....Vancouver HM on May 6.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
A few things to consider:<br><br>
1) You had not run that much this week<br>
2) You ran very consistent miles for most of the race and still had some in you to push the pace (yes, even with help from a downhill) at the end.<br>
3) The experience of the race is a good thing in preparation for May 6th.<br><br>
I think you'll do great in two weeks. I really do. "Pedestrian"? Well, I dunno. You didn't have speed today, but do you run at 9:30 am? Do you?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points Griz. I normally run at 5 AM in camp. Usually finished by 6:30. Now that it's daylight til 8 PM I will switch to outdoors in the early evening when the road is dry.<br><br>
At home in Timmins I normally run around 7:00 AM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts