Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I received a private message regarding this and wanted to address it here - because I feel it's important enough that the answer is seen by those who use this site via a mobile device other than an iphone.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It was implied the reason the iphone issue was fixed so quickly was because I have one and it was more important for me to fix that and because I don't use a blackberry I care less about that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It was also implied that this is just a business and I really don't care about the 'input' of the members like I did in the past.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can see how it may appear as exactly as the implication is written - and for that, I apologize.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please understand - in spite of the fact that kickrunners was built by, well - me - I've done it by finding either an add-on that I paid for to meet the mobile needs or a coder to write the code for the site - the running log for example.  I have never written one piece of code and to that extent, it was really trying to find solutions. I know it's hard to remember, but when the mobile template request first came up - it took me MONTHS to find a solution - and yet, no one accused me of not be 'responsive'. And even when we did get a mobile template, it didn't work perfectly - but it worked.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The difference now and then? The platform Kickrunners is now on - isn't VBulletin where there are all kinds of coders out there writing applications and add-ons that I can either buy or download or customize. This is a totally different platform that is built and developed by huddler.com. And, because of that - huddler developers write the code and create the updates and do the fixes as they are found.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They are working on a mobile template because we are not the only site on this platform. We are the smallest site on their platform and the other sites want the same features we want - because of that, we benefit as well. Huddler agrees with you and me that a GREAT mobile template is needed, but they don't want to cobble one together (like the one I had on vbulletin) - they want it right and one that reaches the most users. I wish I could tell you that it will be here next week - I just can't. I communicate every request and bug that is reported - and the developers are also on here every day reading your comments and really are working hard to fix them and create a community platform for the long term. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now as to the feeling that this is a business and I don't care about the input of the members like I used to. I don't know what to say. If I could get to the code and knew how to make changes - I still don't know if I could do it. I respond as quickly as I can to everyones comments and questions -  I don't think I've blown anyone off - I know I've not responded in the most 'professional' manner at times - and I've apologized to those already. There's never an excuse to be rude or short and I won't excuse my comments. The only thing I can say is - I guess - I've bitten off more than I can chew in my professional career. My role has changed significantly since first starting this site (four times in fact) and my career responsibilities just don't afford me the hours that I used to have. I am fortunate if I can log in here once a day for more than a minute. It's not that I don't care or I'm not trying to be responsive - I'm just, well - tired and am doing my best to juggle my financial obligations (career) with the work required to keep kickrunners going.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, why did I move the site to the Huddler.com platform? Because if I didn't, I probably would have closed the site. Not because I wanted to or because I didn't care - but because I simply can't keep the pace I was going with my job and the amount of money it took to keep the site going. I do appreciate all the subscribers and their financial contribution and that helped a great deal - but truth be told - those have long since quit coming in. Not that I blame anyone - in the economy we're in, every dollar matters - and well - I'm not sure I could justify '$35.00 a year for our services any longer. Many of you offered it because of the site and I did my best to try to bring enough value to you for your contribution.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><br>
Huddler.com offered to take the server over; bring in some greater technology (for example, I no longer have to manually approve members - and we don't get spammers because their software has spam detection that cleans and learns our posters to keep spam out) - this saves me an hour a week easy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Huddler also hosts the site and pays for all of the maintenance, upgrades, add-on's everything - at zero cost to me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What do they receive in return? A % of advertising revenue generated by ad placement and product reviews. The product reviews create content (valuable content) and that content generates ad interest - the ad interest allows huddler and kickrunners to get high quality ad placement and hopefully - things you will find of interest.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did I 'sell out' kickrunners.com? I don't believe so - I am still 100% owner of the site. Huddler has no authority or rights to this site and when our contract ends  - if I don't renew, they will migrate us right back to a vbulletin format. They can't change our content; our forums; our rules, or decide what or what can't be posted or who can or can't join. The Moderators still do that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I believe I've always been as candid as possible with everyone on this site. I will continue to do so. I can't promise I can be as timely as I have in the past; I can't promise I can get everything done you request - but I promise to do everything I can to keep kickrunners on the air. If  in the end, kickrunners doesn't meet your need or you find another place to be on the Internet, I completely understand. The site will be here as long as there are members. And as long as kickrunners is up, I will do all I can to keep it going.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best,</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Rich</p>

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
<p>Rich-</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I, personally, completely understand the delay in the mobile template.  It's annoying, sure, but I can deal with it.  What I really have an issue with is the fact that you CAN NOT post from a blackberry... it just doesn't work.   That's what I'd like to see fixed, sooner rather than later.  My understanding is that the same issue existed for the iPhone platform, and that was fixed... is the platform so different for the blackberry that it cannot be fixed without adding a whole mobile template?   If that's the case, I guess I'll deal, but I won't be happy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't understand why we can't get any other skins for the non-mobile site.. doesn't huddler.com have them developed for any other sites?   Is it a cost issue?  (and that I understand.  no one expects you to be running a charity here.. and that's why I'm a member)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, can you clarify for me your comment regarding ad revenue?  Do the reviews generate revenue, or does their presence just increase the amount of revenue generated by the ads?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This place has been really great for me, and I'm glad you created it, and your hard work, time, and money is definitely appreciated.  I'd hate to see technology annoyances damage the strong communities that have been built here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monica</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Monica:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will talk to the developers again about the posting from a blackberry. I never mentioned just that, because I didn't know that was the issue (honestly). I thought it was 'cumbersome'. The Iphone is modified version of Safari which is a full OS - so, I ASSUME that's the difference.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regarding the ad revenue and the reviews. No - there is no ad revenue on the product reviews. That is 'content' (words, phrases, etc..) that show up on search engines - which drive ad revenue by driving traffic in searches. It's a value added content that is topic specific. Eg.. Running related. We don't review, TVs or Books or stuff like that - it's all content related.</p>
<p><br>
Regarding the multiple skins - the issue there is everytime there is an update on the software - every skin has to be updated. Even in Vbulletin - every time I did a major software revision, or added a new functionality, I had to manually edit and modify each skin. It took me hours to do upgrades because of it. That is why - currently, we don't have multiple skins. Huddler has about a dozen forums on the platform. So, imagine every forum with 2 skins - that's 24 different views that would need updated every time a major revision is made.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We can modify and change the basic colors and fonts etc.. because then it's set, but new skins require new logos, new layouts - etc.. all that have to be updated each time a new update is pushed out. Eventually - I'm sure there will be some skin selections, but I wouldn't want that in place of new and better features of our site.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There is much more capability to this platform for future applications than with vbulletin. Not to mention a more stable server. If the site would have gone down in the last 30 days - because of my job - it would have been down for days before I could get to it. This platform gives us a full time staff to take care of everything - where before it was simply me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>rich</p>

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
<p>Rich, thanks for the update.  I think there was some confusion as to the role of the review (other than to help us share info w/each other, that's obvious).</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.