Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Black Fly Tri Weekend RR

716 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  niemsco 
#1 ·
<p>This was my second year of doing this race, run by Keith Jordan of Endorphun Sports.  It consists of a Friday Night Bike TT, Sat International Dist race, and a Sunday Sprint.  Participants can do one, two, or all three (in the "Lord of the Flys" competition).</p>
<p>My wife and I have made it into a fun weekend getaway, staying in the lovely confines of Waterville Valley (this time joined by our loving pooch).</p>
<p>Friday night was a beautiful evening.  There were 138 pre registered for the TT with ~ 40 more entered on that day.  Since they went alphabetically on pre-reg, and with me being a Z, I was # 138.  The race began at 7 PM, with races starting ~ 15 second intervals.  The long wait gave me time for a great warmup of almost 15 miles, so I arrived to the line ready.  The only tricky part is the starting ramp.  They hold our bike and start you like a real TT.  I only saw one person fall off of the side.  The race is 4.40 miles.  The first half is mostly downhill ~ 250 feet of elevation loss, around a turnaround, and back up.  I felt very good, pushed hard and finished in 12:05, a 40 sec improvement from last year and ave speed ~ 22 mph.  I was 2/9 in AG.</p>
<p>Saturday morning dawned cloudy but warm with impending storms.  Warming up it looked like the rain may hold off.  Just as I was thinking about getting into my wetsuit, he sky opened up to a steady rain. We swan in a small pond for the .25 mile swim.  We were started every 5 seconds, running across the mats into the water.  The water temp was 77 degrees, a SHARP contrast to last years 52 !</p>
<p>The swim went uneventfully, and my time was ok, 6:47.  After that, trouble began.  I slogged into transition, ran down the wrong rack, struggled to put on wet socks.  I wear glasses and have perscription sunglasses for riding/running.  I put them on, but realized running through transition they would be worthless in the now harder rain.  So, I took them off and struggled to get them into my pocket, which took seemingly forever since I had to stop, support my bike...a real horror show.  Transition was an eternity at 2:54.  The bike course went downhill ~ 7 miles, went through some neighborhoods, and back UP 10 miles.  20.5 miles total with starting elevation 1500 feet and minimul elevation 650 feet.  I felt great, event though I couldn't see, and was being pelted by rain, and passed at least 40 people on the return. I finished in ~ 1:00 (which includes at least a minute of transition runs, for an average of 20.5 mph, which I'll take.  Better transition to the run, which was just short of 5 miles. Run time 33:57 for a ave pace 6:48. 68th OA, 4/17 in AG (damn that transition)</p>
<p>After the race, of course the rain let up.  We had a few hours hiking with the dog, and some great beers (both great in tast, and better because we had 4 free beer coupons that are give at the finish of each event) with friends in the evening.  There was also a wedding at Town Square for two of the Endorphun crew, which we attended from afar.</p>
<p>This AM was beautiful, warm and sunny.  I could wear my glasses and see.</p>
<p>The swim was the same.  The only problem was that one of the bouys was directly in the sun, so I missed it, almost, and had to swim ~ 30 seconds to circle it.  So swim time sucked at 7:47.  Transition was MUCH better.  I decided to go sockless, which was a smart move.  Today's bike course was 16.0 miles, downhill for 8 miles ,then back 8 miles with about 750 feet of climbing.  OK time, legs a bit tired.  I kept thinking "this is harder today.  Is my break pad rubbing?" Time for 16 miles ~ 46:30 on the road, but ~ 47:49 with transition run in and out to timing mats.  I scamperd out of transition on the run, felt great and smooth, really enjoying the entire day.  I wished the run was longer, because I felt in the zone and passed many people.  Run time for 3.5 miles (actually 3.25 on Garmin), was 21:15, pace 6:32.</p>
<p>I finished 44th OA, and 3/13 AG.</p>
<p>Overall, a great weekend for us (although my wife was not real pleased about her results) and some top-notch competition, nice swag, and free beer. It is nice when so many athletes are staying in the village and chatting and socializing with everyone.  Plus, I got nice engraved Maple Syrup bottles for awards (like the ones they give at Timberman)</p>

See less See more
#3 ·
<p>Congrats on a great race weekend especially AG hardware! Enjoy the maple syrup on a big stack of pancakes!  I had such a difficult time seeing through my fogging glasses with the rain pinging me all the way down route 49. At least I was nice and warm and having fun.</p>

#5 ·
<p>WTG!  Congrats on your maple syrup HW and for making it through the bike on Saturday without glasses!  Yikes!  I'm waaaaay too blind to be able to do that.</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.