Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Black Fly Int'l Tri – Saturday, July 10, 2010</b></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Waterville Valley, NH</b></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"> </p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>.25swim/20.5bike/5run</b></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Short: I had a blast in the rain. It was a fun event in the most logistically friendly venue ever. The weather was not a repeat of Mooseman.</b></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Swim:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">7:50 1:46/100yd 204/404 OA</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>T1:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">3:19</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Bike:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">1:19.28 avg. 15.5mph 376/404 OA</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>T2:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">3:22</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Run:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">47:07 9:26pace 327/404 OA</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Total Time: 2:21.04 357/404 OA 18/24 AG W40-44</b></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Weather: 74, humid, showers 77.5 water temp making it wetsuit legal</b></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Fashion:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">Black DeSoto tri shorts, Pink/black/orange/white swirly Zoot tri top, Xterra Vortex 3 sleeveless wetsuit, LIT Hat</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><b>Breakfast in stages:</b> <span style="font-weight:normal;">Green Mt. Double Black Diamond coffee, mini wheat bagel with PB, water, DD iced coffee & egg/cheese wrap</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Alarm went off at 4am and I fired up the computer to check the weather radar hoping that it wasn't going to be the repeat of severe t-storms as it was at Mooseman. The big green rain blob was just covering Vermont. The second I headed out the door at 4:30 it started raining. No ominous rumbles of thunder though. Had an uneventful drive to Waterville with a Dunkin Donuts stop along the way.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">As I headed up rt 49 into WV there was no rain and the sun was poking through off in the east. It was already in the low 70s and very humid.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Waterville Valley is this tiny town situated at the base of Mt. Tecumseh where the ski area is. There is a central town square area, a few nice hotels, lots of condos, an ice rink, golf course, skateboard park and pond. I go there fairly often to ride, ski, bring DS to skateboard camp, etc. This morning when I pulled in at 5:45 I was able to park in the same place that I always do with no hassle. Cool. Get out of the car, look around, and Dougie Fresh is right across the lot. Great! We left our gear in the cars and walked over to pick up our packets. Super easy. None of this schlepping all gear a ½ mile from the parking lot and standing in line at packet pick up. Next stop, the super secret real bathroom on the lower level of the Town Square building. Very few people had figured out where it was and there was never a line. Awesome! Eventually I got my stuff set up in the very spacious transition area. The volunteer told me that they had enough space to only put 6 people on a rack instead of the 8 they normally squeeze in at Moosey and Tman. Luxurious! This made the transition area rather long to run through though.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Swim: The moment I put my wetsuit on it started pouring so I just got in the water and did my swim warmup. The water was barely wetsuit legal so I wore my new sleeveless suit won at my last race. Because the pond there is so small it was a time trial start by race number with each person going out in 5 second intervals and then swimming around the buoys arranged in a large circle. I really liked this. There was little contact/splashing/crowding and I managed to pass at least 8 people before crawling out of the water. My new wetsuit is so comfortable – I love it. I forgot to set my watch at the beginning of the swim so I had no idea of how fast I was. 7:50 swim time is a PR for me and the 1:46/100 yd is my fastest ever swim pace in a race. I've also done ½ the volume of swimming that I did last year at this time. Go figure.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Long run into transition, got bike gear on and headed out in the pouring rain.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Bike: 20.5 miles with the first 9 or so miles all downhill into pelting rain. Given the weather conditions I tried to go as hard as possible but it was so wet and my glasses kept fogging which made it really hard to see. The final 10 miles were obviously all uphill and I got passed quite a bit but I did the best I could. This is one of my favorite rides so I tried to enjoy it. Overall time 1:21. I had hoped to do it in 1:15 but at least I averaged 15.5. I'm still working to break the 16mph avg barrier.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">T2: Slow again as I took off my sopping wet socks and put on a dry pair with my dry running shoes.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Run: The rain had slowed down and the clouds were thinning as I started the run. I felt great on the run. Took in some gatorade at the first water stop and kept going. The course was an out and back on paved roads that featured many lovely second homes. There were 2 brief hills that I had no trouble with. By the last mile, the rain had stopped and it was turning into a decent day. My goal was to average under 10 min/miles and I did it. Pace turned out to be 9:26/mile. This was faster than the 9:58/mile pace I ran a few weeks ago during the 5k run at the Eastman Sprint and I felt so much better today. Go figure again – longer bike ride today, longer run today and I did better.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">Overall I'm very happy with my day. I had a great time and I can't wait to do this race again next year. In fact, I'm considering doing the "Lord of the Flies" option of a Friday night bike time trial, Saturday International race and Sunday Sprint race and just making a weekend of it with my family.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">This was probably the most calm and relaxed I've felt at a race. While I do enjoy the size and craziness of Moosey and T-man, this race was just so logistically pleasant and easy.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">After the race I hung out with a few friends including Dougie Fresh before heading home.</span></p>
<p>

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<p>Great job! Glad you had such a good time - I've heard great things about that race, well the whole weekend, really. I do enjoy racing in Amesbury this weekened every year, but maybe I'll have to change things up and join you guys in the future! Congratulations!</p>

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
<p>WTG, Kiersten!  Sounds like you had a really great day!  Sounds like Black Fly might be the way to go for folks who like the Endorfun production without all of the m-dot bs...the only thing keeping me from really seriously considering this race is the way short swim distance.</p>

·
Registered
118 Posts
<p>Glad you had fun and enjoyed your race. </p>
<p>Today's weather was the total opposite of Saturday.</p>
<p>I found it almost surreal the rain pinging down on my areo helmet as I flew downhill.  Sounded like rain on a tin roof.</p>
<p>I'd highly recommend making it a weekend next year and staying there.  There is so much to do with family, especially if the weather cooperates..</p>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<p>Woah, Ksup... it looks like everything came together for you. Remarkable run speed after a longer bike than before, and that you felt good tells me that you were in control, and when you're in control, that's when things come together where, once you have that, you can really push to the edge of that and hold on. Great job!</p>

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
<p>It was great to see you at WV.  It's funny how we ran into each other right away in the parking lot.  I have to second everything you said, especially the luxuriously relaxes atmosphere of this very well put together and small race.  I think next year I'd like to try the TT.  It wasn't too long a ride from Winni.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Congrats on your great result, especially the swim.  Way to tough it out through that bike.  We should count our blessings on the run with the clouds because if the sun came out we'd have been in trouble with the dewpoints in the low 70s.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for my RR: what she said with different results ;)</p>

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
<p>Nice racing Ksurp!! I have always worried about racing in the race- slippery roads, no brakes, etc. but you make it sound easy & fun! Lord of the Flies sounds like fun too! Couldn't get your pics to open on photobucket? :(</p>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.