1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>This one caught my eye tonight ....</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>"... Last weekend, with less than two months left to pursue her candidacy, Pettigrew was struck by a Cadillac Escalade during a pre-dawn bicycle ride around the Baltimore suburbs. She was up early training for a triathlon, the Maryland State Police said.<br><br>
Doctors at Prince George's Hospital Center pronounced her dead at 10:30 p.m. Monday. The driver of the SUV, who could not be reached for comment, did not stop but called the police after arriving at home and discovering Pettigrew's bike lodged under her SUV. She has not been charged with a <a class="inlinked" href="http://www.aolnews.com/category/crime/" target="_blank"><span style="color:#004173;">crime</span></a>, the police said."<br>
 </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Check the driver's cell phone records to see if they were cluelessly yammering away while they murdered this cyclist.  Makes me hesitate about encouraging my kids to get into cycling.  Dam.</p>

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
<p>It's going to be difficult because there's no way of knowing who was actually driving.  Granted, SHE admitted to driving, didn't stop because she was afraid because it was an isolated place, etc.  BUT, can they actually convict?  What if she comes back later and says that no, she wasn't actually driving?  The witness can identify the vehicle.  Did she see the driver?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There was a fatal accident here a month or so ago.  It was an organized bicycle tour, police had traffic stopped and a driver disregarded the officer and hit and killed the rider.  It took about a week, but eventually he was charged.  BUT--even if he's found guilty, he'll only get 90 days in jail plus a fine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Long way of saying, they might still file charges.  Not holding my breath, though...........</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.