Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I would like to upgrade my bike shoes and am thinking about potentially changing my pedals in the future. Right now I have SPDs and Exustar MTB shoes I got of of eBay. I'd like something more fashionable!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was thinking about road bike shoes that would accommodate SPD cleats as well as traditional road cleats...but I am concerned because I don't spend every moment clipped into the pedals. Sometimes if there's a lot of traffic or if there are two stoplights close together, I ride with my shoes on top of the pedals. Many road shoes seem to have a slippery surface on the bottom and I worry that I might slip off the pedals if I did this. Maybe this is not a valid concern?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My husband and I are also thinking about taking a weeklong cycling tour with a tour company next year, and walkability might be a nice thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What brand of shoe would be best?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I welcome all suggestions!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>Might want to look at cyclocross shoes. I don't have the brand off hand, but they assume you will be off running and jumping and getting muddy and need to clip in. I found them insanely easy to get in and out of. Someone more versed can probably give names of the stuff, but these rock.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>Sidi makes a very good shoe, the women's models are often discounted.  Specialized makes a nice shoe, lakes are OK but fall apart faster.  Shimano makes nice shoes too.  Most shoes have either a 3 bolt or spd style cleat mount.  I like my speedplay x pedlas, they have a lot of flaot and work well, they are not the greatest if you plan to walk around a lot.  House brand shoes and pedals like nashbar are really awful chinese junk of the worst sort, cheap shoes just ruin your day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>An mtb shoe is good for walking around, but lousy for riding on the road.  The connection is less solid and the shoe is much heavier and doesn't breathe as well.  I like the new carbon soles a lot, but they are useless for walking.  I have been using a top line specialized for the last 4 years and it has held up really well.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.