Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, when training for a stand alone marathon...how religiously do you follow the run schedule? (and still get in quality bike time)<br>
I'm using Pfizer 70 mpw, which is not a problem for my running...but now throw in a few hard bikes and one long bike...and whoa...not only time, but recovery! So do you swap any runs out for a ride? Just wondering what my MS friends thought...thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi. I'm a big believer in cross training. This past year has been my first year of pure marathon training and I think it's really hard on the body. I haven't kept up with the biking as much as I would like due to time constraints. However I do keep up pretty well with swimming. I only run 3 (quality) runs/week. If I could sqeeze in more workout time I would add more biking, not more running. My first marathon was Chicago... well that was a tough race. So, I don't know for sure if my only running 3xweek was a factor. In 3 weeks I get to test myself again at Gasparilla.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes! I actually did this last year. I had a summer full of tri's and then a September marathon. I cut down to 4 runs/week: 1 long, 1 speed, 1 tempo, 1 easy (usually a brick). And I actually got a pretty big PR at my marathon. I was worried because my milage was low compared to previous marathons where I was <i>just</i> run training but apparently that didn't matter too much. I just made sure I was getting all the <b>important</b> run workouts in.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Short answer - Yes, you can swap runs for rides.<br><br>
It depends on your priorities though. If you are looking to aggressively PR the M, then you need to be serious about LR's, Tempo runs, and Speed Work. Even then you can replace some routine recovery runs with bikes. You still get the workout in, and you get benefits of an easy day (running wise). If you replace easy recovery runs with bonking hard bikes, you risk over training (which you should always be wary of anyway).<br><br>
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I'm hardly a multi-sporter (only 3x sprint triathlons/lifetime), but I do cycle and swim during my marathon training seasons. Mainly as recovery (swim 20-40 min x1/week). I do better in summer, when I bike commute everywhere (to work and the track), and had my best marathon season while averaging 50 mi run and 40-50 mi cycle per week.<br><br>
A long ride for me is 20-30 miles, but I found it is great for speeding recovery from the long run. If I run long Sat, then a good ride on Sun move the accumulated toxins out. The cycling allows recovery and I am in a good state to start up a new week of running.<br><br>
That all said, I don't think cross-training should excessively replace running, if the marathon is the goal. It's the running volume that will toughen the body for the rigors of racing 26.2. If you're hitting the mark with your run program AND adding in substantial cross-training, you are on way way to a super marathon.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm currently doing the Pfitz 70mpw plan as well. So far, I've subbed bike rides for my Thursday recovery runs and need to be better about riding on my Monday rest day. I can't say whether it's hurt my running or not, but I haven't seen anything significant one way or the other so far.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured Thursday or Saturday was a good "swap" day...Monday is still a quality bike workout (about an hr, AT workout), Wed or Thursday is an easy hr on the bike, and then Saturday I'm going long(er)...maybe 2hrs. I figure this can help me "maintain" my bike during marathon training...maybe find time for one more workout as the week unfolds...but my focus is on running a good marathon currently...thanks for the input (everyone!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts