Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Best bike for my son???

426 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jroden 
Any of the major brands will have a decent bike at that price point, they will save money on the crankset, brakes, seatpost, stuff like that and use a lower end Shimano drivetrain like that one below the 105. A wheel upgrade would be a good thing to consider on most bikes in that range. Most of those bikes will have triples, which he may not need or want, that can be swapped.<br><br>
You could get a decent used aluminium race bike in that price range with Ultegra 9 or 10 speed. If you are comfortable checking it out or know the history, that's not a bad way to go. The aluminum can get knocked out of alignment in a crash and a poorly maintained bike can run into a lot of expensive repairs.

An entry level bike is really quite nice, especially in the $700 range. The shop may need to swap out bars and stem for fit, but for the most part the components will be very nice, perhaps the brakes will have a more rubbery feel and the shifting will have a longer throw, but that's life. I'd get a new bike if it were me and be done with it.<br><br>
Mostly, on the entry level bikes the wheels are real abject garbage. I'd like to have something with 32 round spoke per wheel and a rim that doesn't require special tubes, plus cup and cone bearings in a hub that says "Shimano" rather than a Chinese hub with press fit cartridge bearings. Maybe they can work with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.