Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>With the Xterra Nationals in 2 wks, I just wanted to push my body a bit but not over the cliff. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ran 10K on Sat before the cold steady rain hit the area.  Legs felt heavy for the days before the race.  So it wasn't surprising (but certainly dissapointing) when legs started complaining even before Mile Marker 3.  Barely cleared 48min.  Pretty difficult run... and PW.  Oh well.  A good discovery - I can't race 10k to my satisfaction when I don't do proper training.  I haven't done any tempo/threshold runs.  I am taking some short cuts doing hills repeats and short track workouts but I guess they don't help with LT or muscle endurance which are important components for 10k.  Wish 1st AG would have brought more personal satisfaction. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then Sunday was Addison Oaks Fall classic MTB race.  Just a long-ish MTB training day for me - estimated it would take me about 2hrs to complete 3x7mile=21mile singletrack based on some comparison between this course  vs my usual course.  This is only my second MTB race and I should belong to 'beginner' category but with the same entry fee of $30 I decided to challenge myself to get into 'sport' category.  Beginner does 2laps and sports rides 3 laps - same course.  The first 2laps went well, like 38min/39min, but as I started 3rd lap, several groups of 'beginner' started their races.  Every few minutes a pack of young boys, guys, middle-age, then clysdale men just ran over me.  Plus, I was just getting totally out of energy.  On the two hills, three big guys were pushing their bikes, as I came and shouted 'On your LEFT!!  I don't wanna stop!!!  MOVE OVER'.  I don't even rememer much about how I made the 7miler.  Last lap was 43min or so.  Ended up 5th out of 6 40+ women.  2hr:2min of hard workout.  I am glad that I did 3 laps though.  If I raced beginner, I would have finished 2nd.  Lesson learned: I work so much harder on the single track than on the road; Calories/hydration required for 2hr ride on the singletrack is so much more than 2hrs on the road (150calorie/30oz gaterade wouldn't cut it especially after taking only 400calories before 12:30pm start - what an odd time to start  :( )  I went in hungry.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now looking ahead to the Nationals.  I am a little scared.  DH's friend who did the Nationsl last year took 2hrs to finish his ride there.  Yesterday he rode in 'exper/elite' category - 4 laps, took him 2hrs. (30min or so per lap).  So, mathematically speaking, it will take me approx. 2hrs 40min to ride the National course, mostly uphill.  Yikes.  I have never ridden MTB that long.  Hopefully my fitness from riding on the road 3+hrs many times will take me to the top of the mountain.  And being able to run 10k on the tough trail.  I am just telling myself I wil make it up there by just riding granny gear easy and steady for... oh about 14miles. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>One question is how much I should taper for 9/24 Sat race.  I know tapering depends on how long the race distance is and how hard/long you have been training.  Race distance is only 1500m/30kMTB/10k trail run.  But it will take me probably 4.5hours.  I have been training 10-13hrs/wk for a while (except HIM race week/recovery week).  I am pretty tired.        </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for reading and any advice is always welcome/appreciated.           </p>

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
<p>I have zero advice...but I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Take it one event at a time.  First swim.  Then bike.  Then run.  Fuel, fuel, fuel is going to be key for you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>YAY!!!!</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>I think a regular easy week should bring you back around, though you may wish to cut the volume back in the week prior also as this time of year is dicey for getting tired and catching a virus.  I'd look to take 1 or 2 days off per week and avoid doing an overlong ride, especially in bad weather or a lot of hard anaerobic work.  Make sure to get a good diet and sleep, wash hands, all that stuff. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Work some on your setup on the bike and try to get it comfortable.  Assume you will need to take in a fair bit of calories during the ride and just pace yourself on the bike.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think you will have fun, I love riding around in the woods on a bike.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.