Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I thought I had a plan for this week.  Tues ride the 70.3 course.  Wed swim.  Thurs b/r brick.  Fri swim.  TBD long stuff over the weekend.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then came today's workout.  Very happy with my OW swim.  Manged to negative split, and that was into the wind!  The bike felt decent, although it took a bit to get the leg turnover.  On the flats I was holding 18-20mph.  There was a 10mph wind, but it certainly felt like a tailwind, even though it was a rectangular loop. (Wendy's if anyone has done it).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's the problem--although I was holding 18-20, my average was 17.  What killed me was the hills in the first section.  Most of you would probably call them rollers rather than hills, but whatever.  I still suck at hills!  Although I was keeping the RPM and power up, I was still only 12-15mph. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know I need to work on hills!  Tuesday we will hit some hills.  There's a certain hill into Katawba that needs to be owned!  So I'll get some hill work there.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had planned on doing the b/r brick since I've had a lot of trouble heading out of T2.  But now I'm wondering if hill repeats would be better?  If so, how many and how long?</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>it depends on how many minutes it takes to climb the hill, you use hills like any other form of resistance when making up an interval workout on the bike, it's not like running where you use different muscles to run up hill.  You can replicate hills on the trainer also, which has the advantage of being able to control the length of recovery.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think any workout that incorporates some speed or quality makes sense this time of year, just working out at endurance pace all year long will make you one a speeder.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.