Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Why do you want to go Gluten Free? are you having digestive issues?

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
have you been diagnosed with hypothyroidism?<br><br>
have you tried a rotation diet? a rotation diet you rotate foods or entire food groups in and out of your diet to pinpoint what may be causing issues. My husband found out by accident almost, that he was lactose intolerant. His IBS went away when he gave up dairy several years ago!

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
I would look into eliminating dairy and sugar, as well as processed and highly refined foods. I do not know of any correlation between hypothyroidism and gluten, but maybe someone else will know. Are you on synthroid?

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
I don't know a lot about it, but my mother was diagnosed with celiac disease, and after many years of crazy symptoms and feeling horrible all the time, she started a gluten-free diet. In addition to the bad symptoms going away, she reports that she has much more energy.<br><br>
So definitely try out the dietary changes! It might make a huge difference.<br><br>
Edited to add: Since she likes to cook, I bought her some gluten-free cookbooks, but there are a lot of foods available in a gluten-free form.<br><br>
She has to be VERY careful, since just a bit of gluten in the starch used to thicken a restaurant sauce can give her problems. The more natural her foods, the better.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
altoids, Gastroenterologists are finding more and more patients with Celiac, and learning more about it by the day.<br><br>
Did you catch the posts in the CH about Nigella Lawson's Clementine Cake? It's not made with any flour: just almond meal, whole oranges, sugar and eggs. I find lots of gluten-free flours, like almond flour and chestnut flour, at Whole Foods. And most Passover dessert recipes would be good for your mom as well.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I try very hard to eliminate mostly just wheat flour, whole wheat or the white stuff. I also do not eat High fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils. I limit my intake of other wheat products too, like bulgur wheat, etc. It was kinda hard at first but it is getting easier. My tummy troubles are improving and I am leaning out too. But, I think that is because I am so much less bloated.<br><br>
So, see it is very modified right now and it's only been 2 weeks. IT will be a slow process but I think I will get there. I reccomend it highly so far if just to make digestion smoother.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
nor do i. i've never heard a thing about gluten issues stemming from or otherwise related to thyroid problems. most thyroid patients need to avoid goitrogens in food until they are adequately medicated/treated.<br><br>
(foods containing goitrogens: brassica veggies, soy, pine nuts, millet, spinach, strawberries, radishes, canola, peaches)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<a href="http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/graves_disease/54749" target="_blank">http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/..._disease/54749</a>

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
do you have graves' disease?<br><br>
i do have it; i've never experienced any gluten sensitivity, nor have any of the people i know w/thyroid disorder.<br><br>
have you been tested for gluten sensitivity...? or, is your doc just suggesting this <b>may</b> be an issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually have Hasimoto's (sp?) and it was a suggestion not a requirement. Plus I my gut is also bothering me so he said with tthe combo of both to try to go dairy and Gluten free but it takes away really everything I eat.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
sorry 'bout the dairy bit; my mother, aunt, grandmother, great-aunt, etc., etc., etc. all have/had hashimoto's... none of them could swing dairy after initial diagnosis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts