Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I've only been down here 13 years, but I've learned that there are some things that Texans accept as a matter of faith.  And now this...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just got my weekly e-mail from Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchens that included a review of supermarket vanilla ice cream.  Horror of horrors - they rated Blue Bunny as far better than the iconic Blue Bell.  The "down on the farm" Blue Bell gets caught using HFCS and artificial vanilla flavor.  And their panel just plain didn't like it.  (The obvious Ben&Jerry and Hagen Daz came in 1-2, but B-bunny was a surprising 3rd.  Edy's was considered barely edible.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This may mean nothing to the rest of the country, but it's heresy down here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sadly, I have no dog in this fight any more.  Since the MI, all that butterfat is no longer on my diet and I'm down to fudgesicles & Kroger frozen yogurt (sigh!).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>yar</p>

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
<p>Wow!  I lived in Texas in the 80s.  And, Blue Bell was the $hit fer sure.  But, that's back when ALL of it was made in Brenham.  We had a family who lived across the street from us and the Dad loved his Blue Bell.  They moved to San Fran when he got transfered and when we drove out there, we took 5 1/2 gallons on the car trip with us.  Yes, 3 day drive accross the desert in the summer with my parents finding dry ice every morning to repack the ice cream for that day's trip. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, Blue Bell came east all the way to Alabama a few years ago.  They have sattelite dairies do the production.  I can tell you that it's not the same level of production quality that we experienced back in the 80s in Texas.  Oh well. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.