Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH is very athletic but the man can not touch his toes to save his life! He is so inflexible that his chiro consulted an herbalist to try and find something to help him, but no go! We tried a yoga session from On Demand the other day, he couldn't get into the first position!!!! So anyone have any suggestions on a super easy beginners yoga/pilates/stretching program? I have even considered a "senior fit" program but not sure he would go for it. What say you?!

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I have a book by Wharton on stretching that I really like. You use a rope to help for many positions (which is good for the non-flexible). I think it's called Active Isolated Stretching or something like that. I can give you the exact title when I get home.<br><br>
It takes you through a whole routine of stretches; he should give himself a week just to get the stretches down before he tries to do all of them in a row.

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah bu the thing is he literally can't even sit Indian-style on the floor, so when i said basic, I mean basic!!!! He won't go to a class now cause it will just frustrate him! But good idea to just focus on some core stuff for now! Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Lori, call around to the various yoga studios/YMCAs/wherever classes are and talk to an instructor. find one who is understanding or has a class of new people, take him by to watch, let him see other people struggling with poses. Then bring him back a second time to participate.<br><br>
I know I'm not flexible, but when I walk out of a class if feel 10000000x times better and more stretchy.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
But core won't help flexibility. I can't touch my toes due to my inflexibility, esp calves. Probably why I have now torn each calf. My PT says enough cannot be said for the good ol "lean against a wall and push with one foot in front of the other" and the heel dropping on a step.<br><br>
I understand where he's coming from about going to the ymca. My first pilates class, I know people where supressing giggles. The 72 year old next to me said "don't feel bad it took me 3 years to do this". If he gets courage to go to a class, I'd suggest letting the instructor know that he needs more "flexibility" rather than "strength". Our pilates instructor would give modifications and mostly it was just me that was doing the range of motion stuff rather than strength.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Beaker, Are you talking about my husband or yours?? My DH has the same problem! I'm constantly amazed that he can't even touch his toes. I am very curious to hear what might work for your husband.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts