Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up 22 weeks training for a Labor Day Marathon for which I averaged 76 miles per week and did 13 long-runs of 20 - 24 miles. Finished the M in 4:02 and had nothing left in the tank. I had strong muscle cramps afterwards ( what am I thinking, all muscle cramps are strong and suck...) but no pulls or bruises, just normal soreness. I have started running at recovery pace and have signed up for a 50k on October 28th. It's a road run on hilly course and I am wondering about the mileage and a training schedule to allow recovery now and some preparation for the 50k. How many long-runs should I do between now and then? I have never gone past the marathon distance and will be doing this to finish. Other than this forum of course, could anyone suggest some resources and training schedules for doing ultras? I want to be ready for a 50-mile trail run next May. FWIW I ran over 2,600 miles last year and have ran nearly 2,100 miles in 07. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Other people can suggest training resources. Kevin Sayres site comes to mind.<br><br>
If you had a lot of muscle cramps, the most likely culprits are Sodium, food, hydration. You can get away with not taking enough of one or more of those in a marathon, but you really need to get it fixed before an ultra.<br><br>
This is not conventional wisdom, but I would be leery of trying to find a training plan for this interval and sticking with it. Much more should go into carefully paying attention to your own personal recovery and training as it allows.<br><br>
If it were me, I would plan that the marathons and long runs will carry over to the 50K. My priorities (but I may be off in the weeds) would be 1) finding the slower pace 2) fuelling/sodium practice 3) time on feet and maybe, just possibly getting a weekend double or two in.<br><br>
Have you thought about doing a 5-8 hour training walk (with possible run breaks) while you're still recovering?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice and the site mention. So much structure for a marathon or tri that ultras seem like freelancing. Salt replacement could be SaltStick Caps, Pringles or Chicken Soup. Answer is yes to all three, see what works for you. Will plan the 5-8 hour walks and double long run weekends. Chance of injury not withstanding this weekend would be good for long and slow since I wouldn't be worth a damn for speed anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Well, you probably do not want to kill yourself between then and now. Do you plan on running the entire 50K or does the course lend to a run/walk type of strategy? If you plan on doing any run/walking i suggest this is what you focus on during your long runs. It is actually quite hard transitioning from running 26.2 miles straight to a run/walk in ultras. Towards the later miles in a 50K that transition can be quite tough. 8 hours for a 50K is overkill, imo, and i do not think i did more than one 8 hour run (not including races) before my 100 milers. 5 hours should be enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts