Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4BM: I made this up myself. DH has to do dinner now and has been really stressed about it, so I made this on Sunday thinking he could just pop in the oven Tuesday. It came out really good, but it's hard to write it down exactly, so play with it.......<br><br><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Julie’s Super Quick & Yummy Mexican Lasagna</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Ingrediants:</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">9X11 Pyrex Lasagna Pan</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">4 chicken breasts, poached and shredded</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Emeril’s essence seasoning (to taste)</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">1 28 oz Can Enchilada sauce (red)</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">1 28 oz Can Enchilada sauce (green chile)</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Tobasco or hot sauce if you like</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">1 cup onions, chopped</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">3 garlic cloves, chopped</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">2 jalapenos, chopped</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">1 cup cilantro, chopped</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">1 bag Mexican cheese blend (or monterrey, or cheddar, your choice)</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">1 cup low fat sour cream</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">tortillas</span></span><br><br><ul><li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Spray bottom of pan with pam.</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in skillet until translucent. Add jalapenos and sauté for a minute more. Add chicken and cilantro, mix well. Add emerils seasoning to taste (I added about 2 tbsp). Add hot sauce to taste if you like it.</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Put a thin layer of the red enchilada sauce on bottom</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Lay 2 tortillas on bottom</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Put a layer of ½ of the chicken mixture on tortillas</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Put enchilada sauce on top, then cover with 1/3 of the cheese, then add ½ of the sour cream (just dollops around)</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Repeat with tortillas and mixture.</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Add last layer of tortillas and top with the entire can of green chile sauce. Add last 1/3 of cheese.</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Cover with tin foil (can be made ahead, I made mine 2 days ahead, refrigerate). If made ahead, bring to room temp before cooking.</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Bake at 350 with foil on for 40 minutes. Take foil off and cook for 10-15 minutes more, until it is bubbling and cheese starts to lightly brown.</span></span></li>
<li><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Let sit for 5-10 before slicing.</span></span></li>
</ul>

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Looks good! I'm thinking I could convert this to a vegetarian dish by using tofu or beans. Did you use corn or flour tortillas? I'm assuming corn as you're using enchilada sauce?

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Ah!!! That would be my sister's Mexican lasagna!<br><br>
My Mexican casserole is:<br><br>
40 oz can kidney beans<br>
15 oz can some other kind of beans (garbonzo, black, etc)<br>
whatever kind of cooked meat on hand--chicken or ground beef<br>
half of a large bag of frozen corn<br>
16 oz jar salsa<br><br>
cheddar/Mexican blend cheese<br>
biscuit dough<br><br>
Mix first four. Heat if in a hurry. Place in greased 9x13 dish. Top with cheese. Place biscuits on top. Bake uncovered until biscuits are browned.<br><br>
You cna use prepared biscuits. I make my own, and replace some of the flour with corn meal.<br><br>
Serves 6 (or probably could feed more, but we have two teenaged boys...)

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next time I will add corn and some black beans..........I used flour tortillas, you could use whatever you like.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
In US biscuit = something akin to a scone (though not as dense) ... basically, a quick-rise (baking powder) roll.<br><br>
UK biscuit = US cookie (as I'm sure you know).<br><br>
You're playing silly buggers with us, aren't you.<br><br>
Reg.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I make something very similar though I don't have a formal recipe. For the sauce I blend fat-free sour cream, fat-free milk and salsa in a blender with chopped fresh garlic. For the chicken, that can be either grilled or sauteed. I also sautee onions, peppers and mushrooms. I put a little of the sauce in the bottom, then add the tortillas, veggies, chicken and shredded cheese with some sauce. I repeat that layering again -- tortillas, veggies, chicken, cheese and sauce. Then top off with a final layer of tortillas, sauce and cheese. That then gets baked in the oven at 325F for 30min or whatever it takes to melt the cheese. Other good veggies to throw in are black olives and/or corn.<br><br>
Yum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts