<p> </p>
<p>Overall:<br>
Time: 1:08:53<br>
Overall Place: 253/505<br>
Age Group: 42/79</p>
<p> </p>
<p><br>
Long Version:</p>
<p>This is one of those races that is a love/hate thing between me and it.  I love to run it but I seem to always hate my results.  The last couple of years it has really done a job on my ego.  I always go in knowing it is going to be a tough set of races but I figure that since I train in the heat and humidity I should be able to do okay.  Then reality sets in.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This  years goals were:<br>
4 Mile Run: 34 minutes<br>
5K: 24 Minutes<br>
1 Mile: 6:30</p>
<p> </p>
<p>THese are all well off my PR's for this race but I thought I could do it.  Now you get to read about how it went. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So on Friday night, It is the 4 mile beach run.  I get out to the beach after work and I sit in my truck and relax until about an hour before the race.  I feel okay.  Not great and not bad but good so I just hang out and try and relax.  I get my new garmin set up to use the training partner to keep me on pace for 34 minutes.  I find some of my friends from my old job and we chat some waiting for the start.  The race director changes his mind a couple of times on the start time due to the possibility of some rains but finally they end up sticking with the original time. </p>
<p>The cannon goes off and I start running with a friend.  He says he wants to run 8:30ish also so we agree to run together.  After fighting through the crowds a little bit everyone starts to thin out and we settle into a pace.  He keeps creeping up to an 8 flat pace and I keep trying to remind to slow down some, but stupid me I hang with him.  We hit mile one in about 8 flat.  I feel okay, I am warm, but I grab 2 cups of water, one to drink and 1 to dump on my head.  My friend starts to pull away some but I am trying to keep my own pace closer to 8:15 since I know I can't hold an 8 flat pace for 4 miles in this heat.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hit the turn around in about 16:24 and I take 2 more waters.  As I began to head north on the beach again my stomach starts to bother me.  Not like I am going to get sick but like a rock was growing in my stomach.  I have never really felt anything like this.  I can feel my pace dropping off.  I look at my watch and realize I can't tell if I am ahead or behind the training partner so I switch my watch to just regular pace mode and I can see that I am still running about an 8:20 average.</p>
<p> I hit mile 3 and I just hit the split button on my watch and keep plugging along.  I glance at my watch and it looks like it is saying I am running 8:38 pace or faster so I think I am okay heading down the final mile.  I am getting passed left and right and I have no leg turn over.  The rock that is my stomach is still there. I don't feel like I am going to get sick, I just have a big old rock in my gut. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>As I get within about a 1/4 mile I hear my garmin at me saying I have passed 4 miles.  In the past I have just finished the race and then looked at my time since it kept the timer running.  As I closer to the finish line I hear it beep again and apparently it has stopped itself.  I guess. I was to busy trying to just finish the race to worry about it.  I get to the finish line and see the clock says 35:xx and I am like wtf!  I could have sworn I was able to hang on to the 8:30 pace I needed to finish under 34.  I stagger through the chute.  I grab a cup of water, chug that and then I strip off my shoes and socks and electronic gear and go take a walk into the surf to cool off.  After cooling off, I grab my stuff and drive home.  I get home, grab one beer, shower and climb into bed to try and get ready for Saturday.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Saturday morning, I wake up and download the race data from the night before.  Apparently using that training partner thing on the 305 doesn't allow you take splits.  WTF!  oh well. I use the software to figure out my splits based on the distance and I come up with splits of:</p>
<p>Splits:<br>
1: 8:02<br>
2: 8:11<br>
3: 8:59<br>
4: 10:06</p>
<p>My official time was: 35:22</p>
<p>Wow, I must have really been mis-reading my watch or something on the last mile.  I knew I was slowing down but I didn't think it was by that much.  Oh well. Not much I can do about it.</p>
<p><br>
Saturday 7:30 AM - 5K on the roads:</p>
<p><br>
I grab my gear and I drive off to the start of race #2.  The 5K, <br>
It is still warm and humid for 7:30 in the morning.  Low 80's and the humidity was probably around the same area.  I do about a half mile to 3/4 mile jog with my friends again and then we are called to get set up.  I try and set myself back in the crowd a bit to keep myself from going out to fast.  Based on last nights 4 miler I decide to shoot for a 26 minute 5K since. The cannon goes off and I drop into a pace that feels comfortable, while I try and figure out what a 26 minute 5K pace should be.  I pass through mile 1 in 8:28.  I feel like I can maintain that pace for 5K so I decide to figure out what that would give me for a 5K.  I don't remember if I ever did figure out what that pace would give me to tell you the truth.  I grab 2 waters again and I follow the crowds onto mile 2. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am still working and laboring hard to keep my pace. I am reading my garmin closer to see if I am doing better on keeping my pace and I seem to be.  I hit mile 2, I hit the lap button on my watch and keep going.  I get some more water and now i feel the fatigue kicking in.  My stomach isn't bothering me but now I am getting tired. I try and maintain a pace but I am soon just fighting to not walk.I can feel my pace dropping and I am getting frustrated with myself.  But I refuse to walk. I know it is less than a mile now to the finish.  I see some of the fast runners heading backwards on the course and I think how much I hate them for finishing and then rubbing it in by running the course again.  I know they aren't but at that point that is what my mind was thinking.  I hit mile 3, take a split, not caring what it is, make the turn and I see the finish.  All I can do is just hold my pace across the line.  I cross the line and I do feel like I might hurl but I don't.  I grab a bottle of water, 2 bananas and 2 muffins (for the kids, not me!) and I drive home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>5K Splits:<br>
1: 8:28<br>
2) 8:25<br>
3) 9:20<br>
finish: 58 seconds</p>
<p>Chip Time: 26:50<br>
Raw Time: 27:09</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I get home, tell the DW that I survived, hit the shower and I try and relax before the next race in a few hours.  I nap a bit, I eat lunch, I nap a little more, I watch some Premier League soccer and finally it is time to go.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Race 3:  <br>
I drive downtown and find a spot to park a couple of blocks from the start and finish.  As I climb out of my truck, I see that it says it is 92 outside.  Ugh!  I walk down to the start finish and I am already sweating.  I find my friends and we all do a jog to try and loosen up.  They finally call for the Master division to get to the starting line.  After a few minutes the cannon goes off and we head out for our 2 lap sprint around about 2 blocks.  They have the 1/4 mile distances marked, but I just run whatever I have, but I do hit the lap button on my watch just to see how I end up doing.  After the 2 quick laps it is over.  My legs are tired, now I feel like hurling again but I don't.  I get my medal, grab a bottle of water, and then it is time to go find the pizza and beer. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Splits:<br>
1/4: 1:41<br>
1/2: 1:37<br>
3/4: 1:42<br>
4/4: 1:41</p>
<p>Official Time: 6:41</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Boy am I glad they run the Men's Master division first.  By the time the women's races were done, the beer line was LONG!  I take off my shoes, socks and electronics and walk into the fountaing that kids play in all the time and cool off some and finally sit down to drink my beers and eat some pizza. </p>
<p>I spent about an hour or 90 minutes chatting with my friends and drinking beers and eating pizza before finally heading home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Like I said, yet again this race series has kicked my butt.  I am guessing I need to start taking my goal times and then adding on about 10% more just to make them more realistic.  I know I am not as fast as I was a few years ago but I somewhere there is a disconnect between my brain thinks I can run for these races and what my body can really do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Well for now I will relax for a day, start running again tomorrow and figure out my fall race schedule.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for Reading.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Floridaboiler</p>

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
<p>Well, sorry to read you aren't happy with how it went, but it sounds like the beer and pizza and hanging with friends was good!  Sometimes (most of the time?  All of the time?) that's my favorite part of an event!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for the good read.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HJ</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
<p>Nice job.  I blame everything on the heat this year.  I ran almost 1 minute slower on my 5K last Saturday than I did the same race last year.  We've ben having the same heat/humidity combo, usually around 83* and 80% humidity right at race start times (8:00am).  Its been tuff. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did you know you can set your 305 to automatically lap at certain distances?  I have mine set to lap every mile.</p>

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Hey BBS,</p>
<p>I know I can make it lap for me.  I prefer to take the splits where they have them marked.  Just my preference.  I do use the autolap feature when I am doing my training run.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I looked up my results from last year.  Sort of scary:</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>               2009          2010</p>
<p>4 mile       35:23        35:22</p>
<p>5K            24:20        26:51  - WTF!!!!</p>
<p>1Mile        6:42          6:41</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Pretty bizarre that my 2 book end races were so close in times but the middle one sucked!</p>

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
<p>FB - sorry the results weren't up to what you wanted but doing three races that close together in this heat & humidity is still impressive. Think of it as good training for the fall! (that's what I'm telling myself after some recent disappointing results in the same type of weather).</p>

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
<p>Sounds tough in the heat and humidity.  Good job getting through without puking or passing out.  I do like that you say: "drink my beer<strong>s</strong> and eat some pizza."</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.