Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

2008 Chevron Houston Marathon RR

1K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  wa5yom 
#1 ·
Follow the URL to my Long Chevron Houston RR<br><br>
Thanks in advance for reading.<br><br><a href="http://www.twentysix-two.com/race-reports-2008/" target="_blank">2008 Chevron Houston Marathon RR</a>

#2 ·
Great report Tim. I know how frustrated you were not to meet your time goal. But the most important one was "not to leave anything on the course". If you can say that at the end of a race you've done well no matter what. As Rhoon Phast says - there is another one coming up. I'm already looking for an October race.<br><br>
good luck

#3 ·
You don't know what you can do without trying - sounds like you're not far off at all from sub 3:30 or better. I think a few early fast miles cost you, and perhaps some slightly uneven pacing (not too bad but 30 second swings from mile to mile can hurt you later, unless the course is dictating it or you're getting fluids, like you mentioned).<br><br>
Good effort - not what you'd hoped for, but you shouldn't be disappointed with having a go at it. Next time, you just need a slightly better day, maybe a little easier start and who knows?

#4 ·
Tim,<br>
You had us all wondering where you had gotten to!! Don't keep us waiting so long next time. I like your final thoughts, you went for it and left nothing.<br>
Any thoughts on what to do different next time? A pace group maybe?<br><br>
Barb

#5 ·
Wow Tim! It really was a strong effort and one to be proud of. The size of the wall depends on fueling and muscle fatigue. The faster you go out the higher rate of fuel consumption and the greater chance of muscle fatigue. It looks like you were riding that fine line a bit on the fast side or maybe not enough fueling. Tricky. Marathons are a beast, like wild bull riding. And you hopped on a mean one and still came out good! Great race and RR! Congratulations (on leaving it all on the road!). Hey, that's still another BQ! Now rest up so I can run with ya in Bean Town!<br><br>
Steve

#6 ·
Tim, I have been waiting for your report too!<br><br>
As I read through your pre-race doubts, I was hoping you would be able to set them aside and really go for it. As you say, it did not turn out how you wanted, but you really tested yourself, and you know you gave all you had.<br><br>
I have no marathon experience, but I have read enough reports to know that a lot of things have to come together to make your best race. On another day I think sub-3:30 will be there for you.<br><br>
Congratulations, and I hope you are recovering well.

#11 ·
Hi Tim,<br><br>
I've been wondering how things went for you! I agree with Hally about your final thoughts: You went for it and left nothing. What more can you do? You always do such a great report and I enjoyed the photos.<br><br>
C

#13 ·
Well, I'll fall in line with the others and admire your competitive spirit.<br><br>
Tim, as analytical you are, I really liked that you cast that to the roadside and just decided to <b>go for it</b> and give it your all.<br><br>
Keep at it and you'll get that PR!!!

#14 ·
Tim,<br><br>
You can't give any more than your best and that's what you did. I can relate to you a lot in how much of yourself you throw into this sport that you obviously have such a passion for. As you pointed out, you could have cinched a PR and sub 3:30 with a more conservative approach but you went for it all. Nobody can fault you for that--I know that I sure don't. You have much to be proud of.

#16 ·
Thanks for taking the time to read my Long RR...as many of you know....mine are usually long...<br><br>
On the subject of even pacing...I would have to agree...usually I am quite good at holding an even pace....however during my training...my MP runs were not as consistent as I would have preferred and I think it showed at Houston. The Pfitz program does not offer many pace runs.....thus it becomes difficult to "memorize" the pace...so I will likely add more pace runs next time....<br><br>
On fueling......around mile 22 I considered another PowerGel.....but just never followed through.....since I had followed my typical fueling plan.....<br><br>
One thing I failed to note in my report....typically I take notice of my cadence.....but never even though of it during the race......which is unusual for me.....could of had an impact on my inconsistent pacing.....<br><br>
Also, I was faster than planned on the first 2 miles......but not faster than my training pace, meaning, during my MP runs I usually hit 7:42 most of the time (which was actually the MP that I originally had planned to practice, but backed of since my half marathon goals were not met)..<br><br>
So with that in mind I was not alarmed...but it is a good possibility that it had a negative impact on my performance.<br><br>
As we all know, too fast in the first few miles can make the final miles awful.<br><br>
I am not sure about the blisters, historically I get a blister on the same toe all of the time, but I have not had any blisters after the 2006 Boston (I had horrible blisters at Boston, but discovered that I was not tightening my shoe laces enough), since then I have run blister free until Houston....during the race I could feel my right sock slipping...I am sure that caused the problem, but not sure why.<br><br>
Anyways...I knew I was taking a big risk..but just felt like I had to..but when all was said and done I still had fun.<br><br>
I have a busy marathon year ahead of me, Boston and NYC, neither of which will be PR's, so I am not sure when the PR opportunity will come again....<br><br>
Thanks again...

#17 ·
Thanks for posting your report... I didn't think it was too long at all! Kept me on the edge of my seat with your mile-by-mile plan vs. actual descriptions. Hard to see those planned paces slip. But I agree with everyone else that if your goal was to leave nothing out there, you did it. Way to go for the whole shebang, and I can understand being disappointed in the other (time) goals going aside. Good job though, and I know you've got a PR coming up soon.

#18 ·
Tim-<br>
sorry so late with this...<br><br><b>Congratulations</b> on getting another marathon under your belt!<br><br>
(<i>condolences</i> on coming so close to a very fine race and having the wall destroy it at the end)<br><br>
Keep your head high as it takes a lot of guts to hang on after a bad patch and it's worse when it comes at the end of the marathon. You are one tough competitor.<br><br>
I don't think the slightly faster early miles hurt you at all. I think the lack of medLR's with uptempo and not enough MP runs hurt. It doesn't sound like a fueling or hydration problem either...<br><br>
Enjoy the rest of the year as this was a very solid training block on which to build. You will crush that PR of yours, I <b>guarantee</b> it.

#19 ·
Tim,<br><br>
Sorry this is so late, but I'm just getting caught up here. I was glad to see you enjoyed Josephine's. For me, a big part of the fun of a marathon weekend is enjoying new restaurants! After all, we can eat what we want. I also liked the spelling of the Houston airport, like the beer, not the President!<br><br>
I loved all the details of what you were thinking because I can't remember that well enough for my RR's. I was wondering about your hydration when I read the report, but then I read the good Doc's reply, so maybe not. Excellent running!

#21 ·
Well, I followed the Pfitz 55/24 plan...so there were loads of MLR's....I am wondering if I would be better off with more Tempo's and MP's that Pfitz requires...Maybe skip some of the speed wotk and replace with more Tempo's and MP....Any thoughts?

#22 ·
medLR's that are done correctly are very, very useful. I believe that it's imperative to get a solid base done. This is best by lots and lots of miles with at least 2 mLR's during the week and a longer run (90-120min) on the weekend, with easy running in between. The pace on the mLR and LR should be at your best aerobic pace.<br><br>
Then when marathon training starts, you put tempo into these runs. I like short fartlek type tempo (for 3-5 minutes) first then longer/sustained tempo. Fast finish and progression runs cap off the trainingfor these runs. It is also crucial to do enough MP runs and practice at that pace so you know it like the back of your hand.<br>
Do these things and you will PR.

#23 ·
I am not sure that the speed work had a great positive influence on my performance.....I would have to agree that the Tempo/MP/MLR/LR are the most crucial....<br><br>
My Tempo's weren't the best this time around......and more MP runs would have helped me memorize my pace...I through in an extra one during training...but still had a hard time finding pace during the race...too many fluctuations......My LR's were much better/faster and often times I ended up at a nice quick pace....so I was pleased with them.<br><br>
I like your idea of the fartlek Tempo run leading up to sustained runs...I try to get up to 7 miles at a sustained Tempo pace...<br><br>
A PR should come soon as long as age doesn't catch up with me before hand...I do feel, however, that I am very close to my limits......<br><br>
Thanks for the advice...

#24 ·
there isn't a great need for true speedwork in marathon training, but the idea of running with good form at a pace at goal MP and slightly faster is important...running above LT (somewhere between 1/2MP and 10KRP) is a magic place to train. If you can get lots of 'speed'work at this pace, you'll do very well.<br><br>
You've got p-l-e-n-t-y of time to push it gently and continue to PR, IMO.<br><br>
Best,<br>
Dale

#25 ·
Well..I do hope I have time...<br><br>
Then basically what we are saying is lots more tempo runs (at 1/2 MP and 10RP) with more MP runs is the best choice for me....<br><br>
I did this in 2005 when I first BQ'd at Houston.<br><br>
SO, I will need to modify my Pfitz training plan.....actually this doesn't surprise me...<br><br>
Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.