Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nice solid race today. My stretch goal was 65 flat and my realistic goal was 67 flat.<br><br>
THe weather was in the mid 60's which is a little warm for me. My legs felt a little tight as I sat in the crowd waiting for the start. The elite ladies were given their 5 minute head start and then the rest of us took off. I knew my first mile would be slow due to the crowds but even after the crowds thinned out my legs never really woke up and I couldn't pick up the pace for the lost time due to that first mile. Considering the weather I was pretty happy with my time and place. I did finish in the top 10% so I got the hat they give you for being in the top 10%. I wish I could give you some other running commentary about how I felt but I usually zone out during my races and runs as I try and make it from mile marker to mile marker so I don't remember anything spectactular about my run.<br><br>
I was happy that i finished early so I could get a few beers very easily with no wait before the mass of people finished.<br><br>
Here are my splits from my watch:<br>
Gun to start mat: 71.99 feet in 28 seconds for a whopping pace of 34:37!<br>
Mile 1: 1.01 in 7:15 for a 7:10 pace<br>
Mile 2: .97 in 6:54 for a 7:54 pace<br>
mile 3: 1.03 in 7:00 for a 6:50 Pace<br>
5K: .12 in :51 seconds for a 6:58 pace (21:38 total time to here)<br>
mile 4: .91 in 6:23 for 7:01 pace<br>
mile 5: 1.03 in 7:18 for a 7:06 pace<br>
mile 6: .99 in 7:21 for 7:28 pace<br>
10K Split: .23 in 1:45 for a 7:37 pace (45:18 total time to here)<br>
Mile 7: .79 in 5:44 for a 7:17 pace<br>
Mile 8: 1.03 in 8:00 for 7:46 pace (This is up the Hart bridge in Jacksonville)<br>
Mile 9: 1:03 in 6:56 for a 6:44 pace<br>
Finish Line: .32 in 2:07 for a 6:45 pace.<br>
Total Time: 9.47 miles in 1:08:07 for an average pace of 7:12<br><br><br>
Overall place: 526/13 - 14,000 (I haven't heard what the final count was)<br>
Age Group: Not available.<br>
5K Split: 22:02<br>
10K Split: 44:50:00<br>
Chip Finish: 1:07:37<br>
Gun Finish: 1:08:06<br>
Average Pace: 7:19<br><br><br>
Because I have been doing the Guana 50K for the past few years I don't do much speed training since all I am working on is distance runs so I think that is part of why my speed isn't where I think it can be. Maybe once I get off this ultra distance kick I can try and work my speedwork outs into my routine and get the leg turnover and speed back that i Need to make a run at a PR again.<br><br>
Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Nice run - Hey wasn't this the USA national 15k championship? Who won the male / female challenge - Did Ryan Hall amaze and delight again?<br><br>
THis would have been a cool race to be at -

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I finally found an article and results - Hey we are the same age.<br><br>
Hall ran significantly slower than his 1/2 marathon USA record to finish 2nd behind Meb and Kastor won the male/female challenge.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct, Deena Kastor won the race with a 5 Minute head start of over Meb.<br><br>
Meb did end up with first place in the men's and Ryan Hall was second.<br><br>
Here is a short article from the local paper:<br><br><a href="http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/031007/spl_run.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin.../spl_run.shtml</a><br><br>
It is a fun race to do and it helps that is a local race for me.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
I like your attitude. You came close to your realistic goal, and as you said, you've been working on stamina and distance.<br><br>
What's it like to run in the same race with "the names"?<br><br>
Will this race change how you finish up training for the 50?

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't see any of the famous people. I was back in the pack.<br><br>
The next 2 weeks are just easy taper weeks. I am planning on another 10 miler on Wednesday morning and then some more 6 milers and 4 milers until the Thursday before my race.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally had a chance to go back and look at my previous results for this race and I ended up posting my second fastest time ever. My PR is 65:12 so I was about 2 minutes slower than that but I was about 2 minutes faster than last year when I really struggled.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got some of my race pictures up at:<br><br><a href="http://purduejax.org/currentrun" target="_blank">http://purduejax.org/currentrun</a>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts