Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hey, I have an opportunity to ride the RAIN (Race Across Indiana) 160 mile bike race with the roadies I trained with over the winter this Saturday.  It won't be an easy race, they want to push.  I may get dropped.  The question I have is that I will need to ride my road bike, will this long ride still serve me well with my IM training? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The following week I'll do a long ride on my TT bike.  I'm looking however to do something new and mix it up.  I figure a long hard ride with my road bike might be good for me.  Any opinions?  Do it?  My alternative is to do a half iron on Sunday, but I'm getting tired of those...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Scott</p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>just some random thoughts</p>
<p>- Mentally a change would be good, and the distances isn't TOO much more - and overdistance on the bike not such a big deal</p>
<p>- How is your body holding up? You're trading a 8+ hour bike fest as opposed to a 5 hours s/w/r. The body has been falling apart on the run this year yes? How about on the bike? You're gonna do a hammerfest + Long = a little worrisome- but it is not like you don't have the cardio fitness so it's really about the legs.</p>
<p>- ARE YOU RECOVERED from Cda? That's a big question. If you layer another hurtfest on top of Cda hurtfest you could be injured and then forget Moo</p>
<p>- We know you CAN do this, but SHOULD you do this?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not gonna tell ya what to do, but I thought some other perspectives might help</p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>oh last thing. Why are Halfs getting boring? Is it because you're overtired/trained/fried? just something to consider there too</p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thank Ron.  I just found out last night the guys pulled out of RAIN and are doing the Evanston Gran Prix.  Bummer.... So I'm not going to do it by myself.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm feeling good, running well.   My resting heart rate was 40 yesterday.  Isn't that a good sign?  I said I was "tired" of them, but probably didn't use the right words.  I really tried to get into Racine, but it closed out.  Door county is the other option... but that one is tough :(  Almost 1000ft gain on the run.  Maybe I'm just being a wimp about it, I think it might be good training.  I always find I feel great after doing one of these things.  The effort is just in driving 3.5 hours or maybe more north.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've never done a long bike race before so was wondering about it.  If those guys were doing it, I would have done it, but now I'm not sure what I'll do.  I'm signed up for door county, I'll decide on Friday when I have a rest day.   By the way, I'm doing Steelhead</p>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<p>You don't say when these races are -- the bike race and the IM. That could be a huge factor here. But if it is not, why *not* do it? You want to do it, right? It is something new for you, right? Ironman is a dime a dozen or maybe a couple a year for you, right? Go for it. Life is too short not to sample that which you desire. And I bet in the long run, as long as you don't over cook it, you will be stronger physically and mentally for it. Have fun.</p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>The bike race is this saturday and the half im is on sunday.  The bike race was appealing because we were going to do as a team and I could get a ride back from the other side of Indiana, and we would have some fun afterwards.  But now its just less attractive and more of a logistical nightmare.  I'd have to wait for the shuttle to get me back to the start and probably have to stay another night, or get home late.  I know some folks at the half im so its a little more appealing.  I'll meet fox-runr to, probably as she's blowing by me. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>However there is another bike race which is a 100 mile loop in Wisconsin on August 8th that I will do solo. </p>

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
<p>I was about to recommend you do it.  But now that the fun factor has been removed, I say definitely bag it.  Half the point was the group aspect.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I were you, I'd bag the HIM, too.  Do something new and crazy, shake it up.  Strap the road bike to the car and take it somewhere new, do a century ride on all virgin roads, and drag your butt home with a smile on your face and a bunch of new road memories in your head.</p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<p>That's a good option, one I've been thinking about.  Maybe "tired of those" was a bit strong.  This him is a race I always wanted to do, but was never around.  Its in a a beautful area in Wisconsin.  I did a new HIM about a month and really enjoyed it.  I get in a pattern of doing the same races over and over.</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>Isn't that a bike tour?  I think it would be fun to do, if the people you ride with are strong it would be good training.  There are some really crummy bike handlers on those bike tours, they crash all over the place atthe slightest provocation, often from just riding alone.  Be careful out there, have fun.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.