Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Weekend Workouts - 23/24 May

405 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  regiolanthe 
#1 ·
Day off #2 - and I am loving it!

multitude of errands done, including trading my old road bike in for a LBS credit - one less thing in the house. :)

Yo- we didn't adopt from that litter, tho did agree to adopt a different rescue dog - who will arrive on June 6!

#2 ·
Bet there will be a buyer for your trusty old steed in no time, Zoj! Apparently bikes are in again :) Good luck with the new household member ... Hopefully he or she is a delight!

Didn't go out yesterday. Today made up for slacking with an easy 3.5 mile run w/DD (about 9:25 pace) followed shortly by a 43+ mile solo bike ride (also slow). Re-did the beach route from last week - nice to see the ocean. Windy day though....

Geo.

#3 ·
Zoj - how many bikes do you still have?
How exiting on a new doggie coming to your way? What kind?

Geo - nice double! I don’t think I can say I ever ridden a bike by ocean.....hmmmm. Sounds picturesque.

Got lots of flowers from the local flower sale. Proud of our community sticking with mask wearing. 6ft distancing is... a bit harder but every one was doing their best. tomorrow is the day for the yard work. We did another section hike on the Waterloo trail. Great 8 miles hike.

#4 ·
I almost moved to Fla (like Julie I guess) but chose winter and wyoming for "now" in another decade or 2 will be conisdering a loess remote location.

Geo I hope your back imporves.

this week was a muddle, actually come on here to try to figure out which day i played hookey and decided to go for a ride before the wind and between the storms. Maybe it was tuesday or wed? I road up the dirt road toward the upper green river lakes (one of the summer trail heads that yo will checkout some day). I put on sunscreena nd a short sleeved shirt (and tights) and then a jacket. On the way up I disocvered a culvery had been blown out by rising waters. THe culvert had this broken metal top that had distracted us in March trying to figure out how this peice of metal was coming out of the snow. Anyway I found some people who had been out in their rv's trapped on the north side (as there was now a running creek crossing the road) and people on the south side impatient to go north. They were toursits and none of them seemed to understand when I told them the south side people needed to head back a few miles to where there was reception and call to get sheriff or forest service to send a crew to fix the road. So I left and thoroughly enjoyed my ride up past the "drift" race. I saw a grizzly running way up above me and scared a herd of Elk. It was so warm and sunny I took off my jacket and headed back "down". Of course the wind came up going back down and it became a crazy strong headwind but I didn't put my jacket back on.
At the culvert a team was trying to get a backhoe in place to make a repair but the backhoe kept sliding in the mud. I waited for a while until they stopped trying and then waded back across, with all the messing around the creek was waist deep mud. On the other side someone was asking the crew where he could go instead and when would they be done so I took over directing him elsewhere then headed on down towards home.

I have been using my road pedals (speedplay)first because that was what I had but later after being given some older spd's I just never got around to mounting everything (cleats and pedals) so on this trip I kept having issues with dirt getting into the cleats and then they either wouldn't' clip or unclip. The mud made it worse and I finally gave up and went to the river to was everything out.

SO now wet and really windy (nearby weather station was reporting 35 knot headwinds with gusts to 50) I encountered someone I knew at the parking lot and they asked if I needed some kind of ride. Since it was only @ 4 miles more I said no. It took me an hour to cover that last 4 miles of paved road that goes mostly downhill! For a total of 28 miles (20 dirt).

After arriving home I discovered I had badly sunburned my elbows and tops of my forearms. From the pattern I believe my jacket had scraped off my sunscreen and I ended up with a high altitude burn. The last painful burn I can remember of this sort was when I was 8 years old!

So the rest of the week it was of course cold and rainy or snowy no memorable workouts but daily hikes and walks. Had a decent 8 mile hike Thursday. Friday was pretty stormy and work busy so I just changed out my pedals and cleats and cleaned my chain. Woke up early Saturday to 8 inches of wet snow..so no ride.
I managed about 5 miles of snow showing I think (didn't turn on the tracker). Today was wall yoga class. This weekly online class is really helping with some of the abdominal flexibility I lost from injury. When I attended in person classes they were not as often or as targeted so that's a small plus.

I was hoping to get more landscaping done and its been raining at the house (snowing just above) in the am so I think I can try to dig more holes for bare root plants preposterous as it seems...

I think I'll go back to shopping for a new satellite communicator (garmin vs spot) when the precipitation comes back and maybe try to get a leg up on the work week so I can take off later next week when the weather improved.

#5 ·
Wild weather and crazy experiences as always, SB! Hope your sunburn has calmed down a bit. Good to hear wall yoga is helping your abdominal issue.

I spent more than a few hrs cleaning the greasy grill. Boy that was a lot of work. Then got all the annuals done (4 flats) while DH fixed sprinkler heads. By the time we got on a bike it was 5:30pm. But felt good to get things done first before a playtime. It was supposed to be a 1.5hrs or so of ice cream ride but ended up with 2.5hrs of solid effort. Without ice cereal.

#6 ·
My perfectly normal bike rides always pale in comparison to you adventures SBee! Snow into mid May just isn't right... I suppose the spring stuff is wetter than the powdery winter flakes... That burn sounds painful... a running grizzly sounds magnificent (and a bit scary).

Yo - when I read "flat" I immediately thought "tire" and was wondering how you combined that with gardening :). Took me a few seconds to straighten it out in my head...

Myself - repeated the Saturday ride (44 miles), a bit faster but not fast.

Also - can't remember if I said, but DD's position is opening back up in DC. They wanted her to start in a few weeks, but looks like she'll hold out til' July when she can get a housing situation straightened out. She's excited and a little sad at the same time (to be ACTUALLY facing adulthood).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.