Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Return to running after back injury?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rundadrun 
#1 ·
I suffered a herniated disc two years ago and have yet to feel I'm at the point of lacing up. Since that time I've put on around 10-12 pounds (not really happy about that, but that's life). I was going to physiotherapy quite regularly until my bank account had it's own hernia. That was about a year ago. I still experience an aching pain that runs down the length of my right leg and has been present since the injury but not nearly as painful. i get plenty of walking in each day, anywhere from 1 - 2 hours.<br><br>
I lack the self-discipline to do my exercises and stretches on my own and need motivation. I guess you could say I've given up on myself. I've pretty much feel that running is no longer a choice for me..but...still...in the back of my mind I need to run. It plays havoc with my moods too. Try telling a border Collie it can't run, no?<br><br>
Have anyone of you suffered a serious back injury only to return to the level of running you once knew?

#3 ·
I listened to the head back surgeon from Mayo Clinic on NPR. He said that he prescribed running as the best treatment (better than surgery) for a herniated disc. The key is to start slow, but keep it up and gradually increase. One of my running partners was diagnosed as basically crippled for life. He couldn't run, so he started by walking - built up to 10 miles a day, than started running. His back pain is gone.<br><br>
Also, and I can find the link if you want, there was a study where they did MRIs on folks over 50 with NO back pain. Over half had herniated discs, just no symptoms.<br><br>
My recommendation is to run if you can, walk if you can't, build up slow, and you'll be back.

#5 ·
Torque, did you end up having surgery on your back, or did you only have non-surgical treatment?<br><br>
I was also unfortunate enough to suffer a severely herniated disc, but in my situation, surgery was the only option. I was completely immobile in my right leg since the disc herniation was completely pinching the nerve roots. All non-surgical treatments failed.<br><br>
Anyway, I just had the spinal surgery this past Tuesday and was (amazingly!) released from the hospital the following day. I still have a LONG way to go for recovery, but luckily I no longer feel the pains in my leg. I am still currently unable to bend over or put any pressure on the incision site, but I'm HOPING to be over that within 2-4 weeks. I'm pretty young (25), and was in ultra-marathon shape pre-injury, so the doctor's say I should anticipate a pretty fast recovery.<br><br>
I'm kinda wondering things about running as well. At this point my doctors said that I should be able to run again eventually. However, I have just been noticing that I am crooked - it appears that sometime during my nerve injury my spine became crooked (scoliosis). I'm not sure how this affects the future prospects of running. At this point I don't seem to be experiencing any extra pain because of the crooked spine, but I can only imagine that my new gait, etc, will completely wreak havoc on my ankles, knees, etc.<br><br>
I am having a follow up appointment in a couple weeks to get my stitches out, and that is going to be my whole focus: is this scoliosis correctable, and will I ever be able to run again?<br><br><br>
It's pretty frustrating to know we may never participate in the sport we love, huh? Sounds like you've been going through this much longer than I. I feel your pain.....<br><br>
I'm glad I set a 5k PR in my last race this year. If that has to be my last race EVER, at least I'll have gone out with a bang......

#6 ·
Sounds like you've been through a bunch too, Nirvana. how did you herniate your disc? I herniated mine by straining to dislodge my trailer hitch the was frozen to the ground.<br><br>
No surgery for me. Although I would have gladly cut my head off at the time of the injury if it would have eased the pain. I was off work for 4 months with 1 month spent entirely on my basement floor. Thank God for percacet. I was stoned for at least the four months too. But had to be careful with those too...way to easy to reach for one. I weaned myself off that stuff last January.<br><br>
Hope your road to recover is a smooth one and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have good news about your "crookedness".

#7 ·
I had some serious back issues several years ago just as I was starting my return to running after 20 years off. I ws told I needed surgery, but opted for the therapy route. I was having bad leg pain and some muscle cramping in my calves because of the nerve pressure. But I responded very well to therapy and was able to resume running about 1.5 months later. I occasionally have a flair up, but if I do my stretches and exercises, they are minimal. I am now coming back from an unrelated hip issue that shut me down for a month, but that is another story. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.