Check in... - KickRunners.com

#1 of 9 Old 05-05-2010, 02:00 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
How's every body doing? I have actually been sticking with it for more than a month. One thing I am GREAT at is starting, not so good at speed or finishing.

2011 - This  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Likes Earned: 0

I've just started back at it after an injury and an operation put me out of commission for 10 months.  I'm extremely happy to say that the fasciotomy surgery I had completely cured the compartment syndrome problem.  I can't tell how nice it is to run without pain.

I'm working up to running for 15 minutes (the run that I'll do in about an hour).  The only problem I'm having right now is a side stitch that is difficult to deal with after running for about 12 minutes.  I'm going to monkey around with different cures.  Currently eating a small meal of oatmeal an hour before running helps the best.

My 11 year old son has been running with me.  I love running with him.  He's so chipper and we talk about so much.

#3 of 9 Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 5

Hello Dawn, hello Tranquilsea,

I feel like I'm in confession here.  Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been two years since my last long run. 

Tranquilsea, I know the pain of the return after injury.  I've had some heart issues (no, not heart attack, but valve problems), and a badly injured shoulder.  I'm a couple of months into my "just running for fun" return to running.  I'm in the range of 15 miles a week, slow and steady.  Gone are the days of the "easy" 40 mile weeks!

I NEVER ran/walked in the past, but now I am doing so and I find it is helping me both in terms of keeping symptoms at bay and in building stamina.  In my case it is distance based (run 1.44 and walk .6) because that is what feels right at the moment, but I worked up to that.  How about running 10 and walking 1 or 90 seconds and see what that does for you.  Or... mix it up.  Do a ladder.  5 mins / 1 minute, 10 minutes, 90 seconds, 5 minutes 1 minute...  play with it.

Good luck!

Purveyor of Awesome since 1958.

#4 of 9 Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM

I've actually picked up on the last two weeks of the C25K programme.  My first two runs are 3 minute runs with 1 minute walks in between.  I actually end up running 21 minutes in total.  Next week I'm aiming for running for 20 minutes no stopping but I'll be ok with having to stop if I absolutely must.

On my run yesterday I had to stop at the 12 minute mark partly because of a side stitch and party because I just ran out of gas.  I only stopped for about 30 seconds before I started running again.

The issue I'm being super duper careful about is my knees.  I ended up bruising my kneecaps 7 months ago and had to stop all exercising.  It took months and months for them to heal.  I'm generally a person who really pushes myself but I am trying really hard to be easy but not too easy on myself.

I've re-started my weight lifting routine so I weight lift one day and run the next.  The running will probably suck for a while until my body adjusts.

As I graduate from the C25K I'll probably up the length of my run vs. walk time.

#5 of 9 Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Special Member

I never made use of C25K, but have used it in helping others to start running, most recently a year ago with my college-bound son.  It is a great program, but like all tools it needs to be understood and used in your own context.  It is okay to retreat a week, to repeat a week, sometimes even to repeat two weeks as a block.

One thing I have to ask is whether you are running too fast.  Can you carry out a reasonable conversation while running?  If not, slow down.  Yes, I know you might feel like you are incredibly slow already, but the trick is to get your body including your heart and lungs used to this activity.  They sit there and ask "Are you NUTS???" and ramp up to super speed - you have to lull them into a sense of familiarity.  "Oh, she's running again.  Big deal"   Familiarity that is until you pick up the pace...

#6 of 9 Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 PM

I am able to carry on a conversation whilst running.  I'm having a bit of trouble with muscle fatigue but that should resolve itself after I maintain this routine for a few weeks.  I may also need to give myself a break here and there.

When I started the C25K programme I did each week for two or three weeks in an effort to circumnavigate the shin problem.  That didn't work so I had further tests and ultimately the operation.

I'm in this for life and not to participate in a 5k run.  I'm actually not interesting in running in a race as I quite like setting personal bests but also paying close attention to what my body is telling me.

I was quite active as a child and a teen.  I'm really enjoying the activity again.

#7 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Special Member

Bravo!

#8 of 9 Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM

#9 of 9 Old 12-16-2011, 02:02 PM