Did it (Week 5 Day 3) - KickRunners.com

#1 of 8 Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Ok, after spasmodic pain in the shins and calves I was a bit afraid to try the 10 minute run. I wrapped my shins and hit the pavement with my complaining husband (it was -15 c with wind yuck!).

I lost track of time and we ended up running for 12 or 13 minutes. And I probably could have run for another 10....with no pain. In previous runs it was getting very frustrating having to stop, not because I was out of breath, but because my shins hurt so much. Today was awesome!

I almost don't want to go back to the interval training for the first two days of week 6.

So, yay, I am proud of me!

(oh and my hubby too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Likes Earned: 11
Great job. That is one nice hurdle to cross. It's more of a mental hurdle than anything. Way to go!

2011 - ThisĀ  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
#3 of 8 Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks! It was a nice hurdle to cross. Now running for the 30 min. doesn't seem so unattainable.

#4 of 8 Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 52
It's not unattainable

You're doing great.

What kind of shoes are you using?

This post is not meant to offend, demean or alienate anyone in any way, and if it did so please contact me by PM so I can rectify any offense as may be fitting. The opinions stated above are the sole property of the poster and in no way represent the opinion of this website or its members.

Run,...
#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerbread View Post
It's not unattainable

You're doing great.

What kind of shoes are you using?
Thanks

I'm wearing these:

http://store.nike.com/?country=US&la...d-1/pid-284062

This last week has been hard. Even with wrapping just above my ankles my shin muscles are cramping up badly.
#6 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Addicted Member

I wish I knew what to suggest to help with the shin issues. I saw from the post you had in the introduction thread that you're a runner returning to running and know the importance of getting fitted in the correct shoes. So, my question may have been superfluous.

This post is not meant to offend, demean or alienate anyone in any way, and if it did so please contact me by PM so I can rectify any offense as may be fitting. The opinions stated above are the sole property of the poster and in no way represent the opinion of this website or its members.

Run,...
#7 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 PM - Thead Starter

Oh, not superfluous at all.

I did explain my shin problems to the sales lady at the Running Room before I even tried on any shoes. She checked my gait and suggested these. But I don't really think that the shin problem is a shoe problem as it happens when I walk up hills too.

I'm going to try stretching just before my first run and see if that helps. I am a tad afraid to do that as stretching in the past has led to an extra painful walk. I am also going to try wrapping my whole shin in a slight compression wrap and see if that helps.
#8 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Addicted Member

Well good luck! I will say that whenever I've had shin cramping, and it's been rare, it happened more if I was walking than running. I think because of having a greater tendency to lift my toes when I walk vs. lifting my foot leading with my knee, if you will, when I run. Maybe the speed of your walk makes it worse, and going uphill would exacerbate it, I would think.

Run,...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page