Check in.... - KickRunners.com

#1 of 26 Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
Who is out there lurking? What are you up to? What's your running goal?

How are you doing?

This message brought to you by the curious Willrun4chocolate.

2011 - This  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Hay, I like your use of the 'olde-tyme' leafs logo! I've been training for the Montreal half marathon this summer... it is next weekend! I've haven't run in any kind of 'race' situation since what, eighth grade? Quite nervous! You? goals? wild aspirations?

-craw
#3 of 26 Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM

I've been lurking for a few weeks, trying to figure out where to jump in. My vague goal is to get fit/lose weight. However, my current, more exact running goal is to get down to a 10:00 pace for my easy runs.

I started running about three years ago, then stopped after a dissappointing half marathon. Stopping is silly, I know, now I'm just that much further behind. However, I've been back on the running wagon for about a month now, trying to get my base back to ~30/week by the end of the year.

Thanks for providing a thread for me to easily jump into. I'll try to be more vocal.

Ryan

#4 of 26 Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 PM - Thead Starter

Welcome Ryan and Craw!!!

I'm currently injured with a hip injury, but I'm working on it and physio things that I will be able to get back at it soon.

2011 - This  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
#5 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Addicted Member

Welcome aboard!

What happened at your half? Injury? Bad Weater? Start off too fast? Just realized that it sorta hurt?

Getting out there consistently is probably the biggest, most key ingredient in improving.
#6 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Addicted Member

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it went.
#7 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM

I guess I would say I started off too fast, but I was not really that fast. I missed the significance of following a plan that was designed for a 'to finish' goal as opposed to 'run strong the whole way' goal. My longest run before the race had been a very forced 11. As far as sub-marathon distances, I've read enough to realize the importance of over-distance training.

My next half won't be until May, and I plan to have several 15's in before then. I'm shooting for a sub 2 hour. As you mentioned, if I can get consistent, then I have the most important item that's been lacking.

Ryan
#8 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

I've lost my motivation and my mojo. I haven't seen any improvement in my running in the last six months and I really don't know why. I bought a heart rate monitor and tried the Maffetone but man do you run SLOW on that program! I'm currently in a funk along with Lichtenstein (see other thread) but didn't gain any inspiration there either. Still looking for a sign I guess as to where I need to go next. Sigh.
#9 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Addicted Member

What does your typical running week look like?
#10 of 26 Old 09-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 1

How long have you been doing the low intensity heart rate training ? It does work but it takes a lot of patience and commitment . . . its a tough program to follow.

Smile, breathe and go slowly  ~ Thich Nhat Hanh 
#11 of 26 Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Likes Earned: 12
Another lurker checking in...

Currently training for Detroit Freep Marathon (Oct 18 )
Planning to move into ultras in the coming year - Rocky Raccoon, Umstead (yeah, I got in), and Burning River.

Finally getting my groove back after an injury. Had an awesome run today trying to incorporate some Chi Running technique/form - felt so easy and pace was quick (for me).
#12 of 26 Old 09-12-2009, 08:53 PM - Thead Starter

Welcome Buzzie.

#13 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Addicted Member

Hi buzzie.
#14 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 03:12 PM

I'm typically running 4 days a week and dancing on the off day. I do allow myself rest on weekends but most of the time I'm going full throttle. I guess I'm just bored which made me lose my focus. I feel like I'm just putting in time so I won't feel guilty about not exercising.

#15 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 PM

I considered the Maffetone an experiment. I never fully committed. I've been in a weird funk and haven't figured out what I need to do to pull out of it. I feel like I'm scattered in all directions: should it be speed, endurance, mileage. I don't know. I'm just "spinning my wheels."
#16 of 26 Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Addicted Member

Don't overthink it. Running more will help you run faster. Tack on a bit of mileage here and there, perhaps add an extra day at some point. There's a slogan/mantra/whatever you want to call it

run lots, mostly easy, some fast

and that's about the long and the short of it. Consistency is key. Be patient. Keep moving.
#17 of 26 Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Wow, I thought if I was taking it easy I was cheating. This sounds too good to be true. Are you trying to trick me?
#18 of 26 Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 52
It works Ms. Hipster, from what I can tell. Getting in the miles overall helps quite a bit.

This post is not meant to offend, demean or alienate anyone in any way, and if it did so please contact me by PM so I can rectify any offense as may be fitting. The opinions stated above are the sole property of the poster and in no way represent the opinion of this website or its members.

Run,...
#19 of 26 Old 10-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Ok, I guess I'll come out to play; I'm a newbie to kick but am from the old CH and post over at the other place. But at any rate I've been getting back into running and just focusing on getting my miles up. Goal race is the Dallas Rock n Roll half marthon on March 14, 2010.

I got into running through the old C25K program and just kept going; had a few injuries along the way (multiple stress fractures) and then got sidelined through the pregnancy and birth of my triplet boys. So this is my journey back to running and trying to fit everything into my crazy life
#20 of 26 Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM

I can vouch for her advice as it was the only thing that ever helped me speed up; I tried the Maffetone stuff and it just drove me batty and made me a slave to my HR monitor. But once I just slowed the majority of my runs down and started adding on the miles, the speed came naturally.

What is the difference between your race pace or goal pace and your training pace (what you should run the majority of your miles at)?
#21 of 26 Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Rob here...

Not really "new" but I'm definitely and off again/on again runner and poster. I started at CR with so many of the 30-something folks but due to deployments and family stuff; I am not as consistent as I should be!

Back to running and the past few weeks have fallen in love with Trail Running. I just love being in the woods and it seems to be easier on my shins (which I usually suffer with) than running on the road.

I'm always on Facebook and often posts notes (or blogs) on there. I'm going to try to post more on KR now! A friend of mine (Tim-runs marathons and full Triathlons) has suggested that I should submit some of my running stories to magazines an such. Does anyone have any idea how to go about that sorta thing.

Running goals: Be Consistent!! Complete as many 5K's/10K's while working up the the half marathon distance. I had planned on doing the St. Judes (Memphis Half) this December but my oldest son was hospitalized for a few months this past summer and all my training/fitness went in the dumpster! Overall health/fitness, weight loss, consistent running and a half marathon are my goals for running.

I'm from Poplar Bluff, Mo. a pretty small town. I'm a soldier in the Missouri National Guard/US Army and have 2 deployments since 2005 and getting ready for my 3rd one in 2010.

Did I leave anything out?

Rob
OlllO
It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand!
#22 of 26 Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 AM - Thead Starter

Wow Rob, you have quite the life tale to tell.

Welcome to KR!!!

Has your son recovered?

#23 of 26 Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 AM

And then some..

Recovering! He does PT 3X a week, has to use a hearing aid in one ear, complete loss in other. There's severe nerve issues in lower right leg below the entry point for the ECMO cannuoles (sp?) and we are looking into surgical intervention to eventually improve that leg. Thanks for the welcome!

Rob
OlllO
It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand!
#24 of 26 Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Ok, ok....I have been lurking for a while. I signed up last year but i never did post. I am just starting over, had a baby a few years ago, and between work, 2 kids, blah blah, blah, i just havent gotten back to it yet. I have a treadmill, a big dog, all the necessary tools....I am hoping that by posting here, reading about all that you guys are doing, that is going to help with my motivation. I am south of st louis, way out in the sticks, I would like to be running some races by the spring, summer.....
#25 of 26 Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM

I'll post...

I used to post here a while back, but I injured my hip, got frustrated, and basically disappeared for over a year.

To make a long story short, I changed my stride and the hip got better. In September I did my first half-Iron length triathlon. I managed to do it in 6:05 and won my age group. Once again I'm jazzed about running and tris. So I decided to come back around here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page