My first marathon - thanks Voo - KickRunners.com

#1 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I ran my very first marathon in May of 2007.

The Flying Pig in Cincinnati.

The 30s group had made it a big meet-up weekend.

Was I nervous at the start?

Of course.

Was Voo right by my side?

Of course.

Did he make me feel at ease as each of those miles ticked away?

He did indeed.

Did he laugh when I became the official 3:50 pace leader in my first marathon, if only for a few minutes?

Yes he did.

He ended up leaving me towards the end of the race (only when he saw I was doing fine and was also being supported by Bob).

You see he only knew how to run one way.

Hard.

He poured on the gas and tried to pass as many people as he could.

He finished a few minutes ahead of me.

Was he waiting to embrace me at the finish line and offer his congratulations on my first marathon?

Of course he was.

I have plenty of other VooDoo running stories but this is the one that means the most.

Miss you buddy.

(Thanks to Bob for these pictures)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
this is beautiful, LL
#3 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 17
Likes Given: 3
well done LLmarathonberg.

here is what I sent to his family:

For Joe Truini's Family and Friends

or for Voodoo as I've know him over the last few years.

I was lucky enough to meet Joe several times over the years at races and discussed many things with him via e-mail etc.

The picture is from 2005, Chicago Marathon, Post race beers at Celtic Crossing in chicago and Joe's story of the that day typified, to me, what he was all about. Joe had a terrible raceday that day. He had to climb a fence to get into the strart of the race and strained his back in the process. He proceeded to run 26.2 miles in pain for most of the race when a lesser man would have dropped out. Joe wouldn't do that. He just had to have a finishers medal. After the race, he met us for beer and in spite of his race day experience you would have never known that he hadn't won the **** thing. He was a jovial and upbeat a person as I had ever met and it was so fun to sit and get to know him better while he also appluaded every other runners day.

A couple of days later he sent me an e-mail about how disappointed he was in his race and that he really hadn't felt like he gave his all and some other totally undeserved criticism. Of course, I told him that he was full of it and that he had many great marathons ahead and that I was duly impressed with his running and his fitness. It was the only time I ever remember him being negative about anything and after I answered that e-mail, I never remember him being truly negative again.

I'm trying very hard to emulate Joe today with that infectiously positive attitude in spite of knowing that I will never be blessed to talk with him again. I will miss him.

your pal,

Glenn DesRochers (oache)

I start cussing at the farm animals as I pass. Really, punk cow? Now you wanna race? WTF where you the first 10 miles? That's right, you were sitting on your ass chewing some cud. lazy POS......refinnej

#4 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
I remember being "stuck" at my sisters house with severely cramped up legs after Chicago 05 (also my first), desperately wanting to meet up with you guys but unable to manage the walking and train ride that would have gotten me there. There was a problem with the first choice and you ended up across the street, right?
#5 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Addicted Member

yes....we were supposed to go the clark street ale house but they didn't open until 5 and we were thirsty so we scrambled across the street.

I forgot that you were going to join us too.

I start cussing at the farm animals as I pass. Really, punk cow? Now you wanna race? WTF where you the first 10 miles? That's right, you were sitting on your ass chewing some cud. lazy POS......refinnej
#6 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Funny oache I remember the fence story well and it does typify what Voo was about.

I have a similar story.....

2007 Philadelphia Marathon.

Around mile 18 or so I see Voo up ahead walking with a bad limp.

I pull along side him and ask if he's okay and what happened.

He proceeded to tell me how he'd twisted his ankle at around mile 6 on one of the trolley tracks in the middle of the road.

He looked to be in a lot of pain and I asked him if he wanted to pack it in. I offered to walk him back the start or to one of the medical tents.

He told me no, he'd be okay and pushed me to go on.

I did.

When I crossed the finish I remember thinking how stupid of me it was to suggest to him of all people that he quit. I knew there was no chance in **** he be getting to the finish line any other way then on his two feet.

Sure enough sometime later as I stood in the grandstands with the group of Kick folks that had gathered there, he came running up the chute and across the line.

Tough as nails.
#7 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Addicted Member

perfectly Voo.......Right?

#8 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35

I finally got to meet voodoo in may .. when I finally made it to the start line or a marathon after training for 2 others I didn't make it to ... I met him in jenna's hotel while we were waiting to go out for our pre-race feast

while waiting for jenna to get ready he and I talked running and training ... and then at dinner I got to sit across from him ... and we talked running and training .... and a little about weight lifting, ha, since I'd been working out some this spring ... and then ... after the race, back in the hotel .... we talked about the race experience each of us had had that day (jenna and bikegirl did the 1/2 and voodoo and I did the full) but he and I also got pretty animated chatting like kids on Christmas morning about training plans, motivation, gutting it out ... it was sooooooooooooo cool to meet somebody so positive and excited about doing your best and having fun at the same time ...

I'm really sad that I won't get to run with him again ... or get to know him better ... but I'm really glad I got to meet him ...

he was a sweet guy ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#9 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM

words cannot come close to describing the magnitude of the hole i feel in my heart today. i know how much the rest of you are hurting, too, and there is no amount of solidarity to take the edge off this. and yet, perhaps our being together in this will allow his family a glimpse into the man who touched us all so deeply. and so permanently. thank you, those of you who have shared stories and photos. thank you, to all of you who go to support his family today and tomorrow. i'll be running with you all tomorrow morning at 10.

voodoo junkie and i 'met' as our thirty-something thread exploded into existence. some of you here today were there. it has been a long, lovely road since august of 2004, hasn't it? i like to think that it took us needing each other to hit critical mass in order to have the gravity to pull together. gravity. and levity. and, now, brevity.

i've enjoyed his intelligence and level-headedness here on the thread for years. i've strayed away, and he's one of the personalities for whom i returned. i regret that i was waiting until this week to call him to catch up - and now it's too late. there are some aspects of my friendship with him upon which i am leaning now, and there is some comfort there.

he knew that he was loved. he knew that he inspired folks. and he was so generous in letting others know that he had been touched by them. it takes a real man to admit the extent to which he's been inspired and challenged by people in his life. voodoo was not only the legend, he was such a man.

he did not complain. unless there was a humorous story to be had in the telling of the details. i cannot count the number of times this man had me laughing out loud in a room by myself (and sometimes, more embarrassingly, in a room full of people who had no clue). he could be hard on himself. in so doing, he raised his own bar of expectation to a level that allowed him to complete runs that many of us couldn't fathom. run in winter in inclement weather in holey blue shorts? not a problem. run three minutes after downing a whole chipotle burrito? not a problem. did he need a long run for his marathon training? ****, he may as well just go run this marathon the next town over. and he did. if discomfort is temporary, he exemplified the indomitable human spirit that should demonstrate to us all how to vtfu and get through it.

i've had the honor of running alongside him. i've had the honor of gasping for breath trying to keep the **** up as we chatted and ran. we've spent adventure time together away from racing events. we've spent many an hour working through conversations about life's roller coasters of issues. i've even called him from the treadmill before because no one else was going to be able to help me through the **** 'i hate runnings' the way he could. no one believed me at work the next day when i had to explain that i lost my voice cheering someone across the finish line at a footrace. but i would give months, years, of talking away to yell him though in under four hours just one more time... most likely even more.

he WAS the best of all of us. and i love that he was vital and cowboying up, right to the very end. he wasn't done. we can take those torches. let's do so. and RUN.
#10 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
That's simply lovely, Staci.
#11 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm in that picture at the top. Kind of surprised me, but there I am.

Joe kicked my ass that day at the pig.

Joe's second marathon ever was Glass City in 2005... I met him there along with katholeenie and mheaton. I knew he was trying to break 4 hours and I knew I was gonna be right at 4 hours. We didn't run together, but I knew he was right behind me. Sure enough, he passed me like a freight train around M21. Later he said he never saw me ... the man was FOCUSED.

Alas, he ran a 4:00:57.

Was he mad or disappointed? Not that I saw. He came down to the awards ceremony later that day and talked my ear off. He wanted to go get a drink, but I wasn't up for drinking with the legendary Voodoo. That man could DRINK. When I declined, I knew that I really wanted to go. Ah well, life is like that.

I ran my own race at the pig in 2007. Mr 4:00:57 dropped his time down to 3:44. I got the chance to talk to everyone after the race... and sadly missed drinking time again.

At Surf City in 2008, our man ran a 3:42 in just dreadful awful suck weather. Was I there to high five him on the best run ever? I was supposed to be. But nah, I had given everyone from kick the big "**** off" the week before (I have my reasons; not important to the story) and went east coast instead.

(edited to add: it has been so long that I got the story wrong. I actually bailed just before a similar race in Oct 2007 - Long Beach. I went east for that weekend. Had I not bailed, though, I am quite sure I would have been at Surf City)

I wish I had that day back.

Because no matter how I felt about "stuff", Joe was the man. And I missed his big day.

Later on he smoked a 3:40. ****, bruddah.

I kept up with him off and on through the years. Alas more off than on.

Sometimes things go that way.

Many of you know I've been working on a book. It is almost done. Well, was. I think I am going to add a chapter about Joe.

If there's anyone I've met who added "happy" to a run, it was that guy.

And if you ever need an example of how a not-2:30 marathoner can improve your running... including your outlook on life, it was that guy.

I miss you man.

Sorry I didn't do it right.
#12 of 18 Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Beautiful tributes and stories, everyone. I think each one shows how much love and respect we had for the man.

I know not everyone has Facebook, so I wanted to make sure this post was available for reading by all here on KR

RIP Voo (1971-2009)

This photo was taken during my first "in real life" encounter with Joe Truini.

Of course, those who knew him relatively well liked to call him Voo, short for Voodoojunkie. Indeed, the man owned a pouch in which he carried around his mojo that he picked up in New Orleans.

Before this meet up, which took place in 2007 in Cincinnati at the Flying Pig Marathon, I only knew Voo from his online postings in a running forum. I did know that he was a big and more muscled than a typical runner, and that physical size was matched by his running tenacity, which he documented in lively fashion whenever he posted a race report.

He also sported dreadlocks and a goatee. I had been to many a meet up consisting of people that prior I had only met on an online basis. Most of the time, I had a good idea of what to expect. I admit it was probably due to wariness based on his physical appearance, but I didn't know what I would be getting with Voo.

As it turned out, any wariness was unwarranted. Voo greeted me, like everyone else, with a warm smile and a handshake. As I watched him at future meetups, he would always greet people with at the very least an interested expression. As we talked, if it was like I was a long lost friend with whom he was getting reacquainted; I'm guessing that's how he treated most anyone.

I felt I got to know him a little more than most, as I have met him at three running races and a separate meet up when he came by my neck of the woods in California. My reality check in my mind says that's probably not the case, but Voo was the type where one meeting make you feel like you've known him all your life. So thus my little tidbit of a story.

We met over at a bar along Haight street that I knew had numerous beers on tap that he'd probably appreciate plus a place next door that served up scrumptious sausages that you could bring over into the bar to enjoy with your brews.

We talked about this and that for at least a couple hours. I knew he was a journalist who reported on the waste industry, and having worked for a company which cleaned up wastes in the environment, I was interested to hear his take on things, although in reality his reporting dealt more with the recyclable end of the waste world as opposed to the cleanup business. Nevertheless, it was fascinating to hear how in the heck he actually got started in that world; I doubt too many children come out of their young years saying they want to report on the trappings of waste industry.

There was much more fun stuff to talk about than work. His short-lived boxing/MMA stint was always a favorite topic of mine as well as his adventures with his Jeep. Of course, our mutual love of running invoked a whole myriad of tangential conversational pathways.

Later, we walked around the Haight looking for a replacement rasta hat, as his was on the verge of shredding apart. We figured the Haight would be a good place for finding one, but we found no such luck. We came upon one man who sported a fine specimen of a cap, but turned rudely away when Voo asked about its origins. Voo turned to me and joked that most people need to safeguard their drug sources, not their rasta hat contacts.

Further on, we found a children's clothing store that sported a shirt that would suit the children of a mutual running friend of ours. The T-shirt sported a drawing of a tattoo and a phrase written out in kidprint saying something to the effect that their daddy's tattoos were way cooler than those of the T-shirt reader's daddy. Voo broke out his camera and took a picture and posted it later that night for all to see.

The Haight during the day is generally safe, but still it was nice to have an imposing figure like Voo walking next to me in an area I don't normally visit. And you knew based on his past that he could impose that physicality if he really wanted and needed to do so.

But I knew Voo inside was one of the least imposing people I knew, but rather a very kind and caring soul. It almost sounds like a bad sitcom storyline, but I'm sure that little bird appreciated his efforts to try and save it after Voo had found it injured in his yard. Or that neighbor, unbeknownst to them, in which Voo's frustrations over an touchy issue were eventually resolved with cooler heads instead of fisticuffs.

I think he saved a lot of that imposing for his runs. There were times when he didn't feel it on a training run, but more often than not he would cowboy through it. And he would often pull up a personal record type effort on a race, despite a lack of adequate training or the race being not as important to him in the bigger picture. I think the ultimate display was in races where he broke out his caveman outfit - the vision was both apropos and endearing all at once.

When we eulogize someone, we tend to gloss over their faults and boost the individual to some pedestal that might not be completely deserved. I think the best thing about Voo was he was who he was and was comfortable with his faults, which in reality are minor ones compared to the major flaws we've seen with far more publicized people.

If you could accept him and all his faults, any of your relatively minor faults were not an issue to him. And for those who couldn't, no offense was really taken - he just continued being who he was.

In other words, Voo was a REAL person, whose large and, at first glance, imposing outside appearance was supplanted by an even larger sense of kindness and warmth on the inside.

Of course, 37 years is way too short a time for a person to live, as those who knew him are coming to grips now. Ironically with Voo, I think it only took a couple of meetings to feel like you had known him for 30-some-odd years.

Your life on this world may have been much too short, but we'll find a way to cowboy up, and the fond memories we have of you will linger within our minds for a long while.

Rest in peace, Voo, and may your running be easy and effortless in your new home.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#13 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 AM
2oh
Special Member

joe, thanks for posting that. i have fb but don't really ever go on.

i got a txt that there was a group run on thursday ~11 AM EST. i was locked into kidcare at that time (while on vacation) so i ran in place at the playground for a few minutes (flipflops, boxer briefs & high humidity don't make for perfect running conditions). i got some funny looks as i jogged - pushing dd on the swing, feeding her some snacks - but i didn't feel funny.

in fact, it's a **** good thing i had my sunglasses on. i think i soaked my shirtsleeve w/tears.

here's the pint we said we'd tip together, big man...

sorry i missed out.

anyone ever inquire about the book he was writing? status? whereabouts?
#14 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
One of my favorite Voo memories is him telling us at the Flying Pig finish line about how he leaned forward and just let it rip down that steep steep hill yelling "Get the F outta my way!"

I can just see the dreds flying, people jumping out of the way, and him just PLOWING through.

I think of it often, generally when someone is moving very sloooooooooow in front of me at the grocery store or something. It makes me laugh - usually out loud - and calms me down, and then I'm not annoyed any more.
#15 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4
Seeing Moon and Staci's posts here reminded me that I'd posted this on my own FB page, and I wanted to copy it here as well. So, here it is. Miss you, Joe...

~~~~~~~~~~~

I know I'm not the first, nor will I be the last, to try to put into words what Joe "Voodoojunkie" Truini meant to me. I won't be the most eloquent, and I won't have the funniest stories. But that doesn't diminish the respect, admiration, and love I have for a friend that is too soon gone from my world.

I met Joe in cyber-space, on the CoolRunning boards, about five or six years ago. I don't know how it started, but a thread developed for "30-Something" runners, and he and I were among the first regular posters. He was a fairly new runner, like myself, but even then I knew he had something special. He had a quiet determination to make himself better every day, with every run, and when his workouts didn't go quite as planned, he would step back, take a critical look, and then move forward to the next run without dwelling on what might have been.

I was incredibly lucky to have met Joe in real life, first in Indianapolis at the Indy Mini Marathon in 2006, and then again at the Flying Pig Marathon in 2007. I'll never forget in Indianapolis, him walking down the street chatting with my dad (whom he had just met) like they were old friends. That's the kind of guy he was...he never met a stranger. I think we all loved that about him.

He was an incredibly multi-faceted individual, and the longer I posted on the boards, first at CoolRunning, and later at Kickrunners.com, I realized just what an incredible person he was. It's easy to say that about someone, but with Joe it really was true. I've never seen someone so genuinely full of life. Joe enjoyed everything he did, it seems. One of his most recent escapades involved building a shed in his backyard...sans foundation. Then after the fact, he decided it "might be better" to put it on one...and I remember him referring to "horsing it up" onto the newly built foundation, and then dancing around in his yard using his power drill like a six-shooter. You could just hear the pride in his voice when he commented that not a drop of rain got inside after the first rainstorm. That's the kind of guy he was...if it's not right the first time around, you make it right.

Joe had a kind word and encouragement for everyone he knew...and it's that part of him that I will miss the most. It didn't matter if I had a bad day, a bad run, or a bad date (and there were quite a few of those!)...he always told me that he knew I was a good person, could have a good run, and to just keep going because it would work itself out. It's hard to explain what value that kind of support gives to your life...but believe me, it's rare.

Today, Joe was laid to rest in Mingo Junction, Ohio, and several of our 30's members were there to pay respects for the entire group. Because not all of us were able to go, we decided that wherever we were, if at all possible, we would run during the time of his service as a memorial to the man we all knew and loved. Long, short, running, walking...it didn't matter. We were going to "Voo The F*%K Up (VTFU)" and toe the line for our friend. I went out to Isle of Palms, by the beach, and like many others I planned on running and biking for a total of two hours (what Voo would always refer to as a "Deuce"...which usually had to wait until his boss was out of the office!). It was close to 90* by 10am, but nothing was going to stop me from running.

4.12 miles later, I was sweatin' like ten whole men...and I took a short break before my bike portion to walk over to the county park. I sat on a picnic table overlooking the ocean, and thought about Joe. The sky was overcast by now, and the waves were really quite rough...and like so many other times the past few days, I put my head down and began to cry, because it just wasn't fair that he was gone. At that moment, the wind picked up, and literally began to rock me, just like a mother rocks her baby. I picked my head up, and the wind intensified even more. I know it was Joe, telling me one more time that it was okay, that I would be okay, we ALL would....and that I better stop goofing around and get on my bike for a few more miles. At that moment, for the first time in days, I felt a tiny bit better.

Grief is strange...it comes and goes like the ocean tides. I know that my tears aren't nearly over. In some ways they probably won't ever be truly over. Voodoo was a huge part of our 30's group, and the hole he leaves behind won't ever be completely filled. I don't think I want it to be filled, truth be told. I think the lesson that Joe leaves behind for me to learn is this: Love your life, because it's the only one you're going to get. Live it with no regrets. Don't ever waste an opportunity to tell people how much they mean to you, because you may not get another one. And friendship truly is the greatest gift of all...so don't be stingy with it.

I'm going to miss you, Voo. I'll see you at the finish line...save me a spot at the beer tent.

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#16 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
2oh
Special Member

Guys,
OBX wants to do a human interest story on Joe (I was in touch w/the race coordinator and she brought it up). If you're interested in contributing, please let me or Theia know - once we get the information we can pass it along. There's some really good stuff included here and I'm sure they'd love to hear/print it!
It wouldn't be appropriate for me to provide input to the story but I'm willing to help facilitate it.

Dan

(i'll cross post this in the OBX confirmed thread)
#17 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 7
Yes! I sent you a PM, But I'll do anything I possibly can to be part of this.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

~Aristotle

Greatness is a lot of small things done well, stacked on top of each other.

— Ray Lewis 

#18 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35

that's so great, Dan ... thanks for helping this happen ... it's nice to think that voodoo is being remembered in this way!!!

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page