Who has hiked on Vacation? If so where? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 23 Old 06-07-2008, 03:00 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Because we don't have kids and both work we can afford to travel quite a bit and mostly we do races or hikes when traveling.

So we have done the tour Of Mt Blanc in France,Italy and Switzerland; hiked in Africa Twice (Kilimanjaro,Mt Kenya, Crater Highlands,
Oldolengai) A running tour of Patagonia and six other trips to Italy. we are hiking in the dolomites this summer and I am going to Nepal at Christmas (see my blog in my signature)

I can post some photos if you like RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM

Likes Earned: 11
I can't remember the last vacation I took that was not centered around hiking, aside for family visits (and that's only because no one in my family hikes other then me). This summer I am going to the Washington Cascades (this will be my 5th or 6th summer hiking vacation out there) to attempt Mt Shuksan and Rainier. This will be my first attempt of Shuksan and first attempt on Rainier with our a hired guide (although the defacto group leader I am going with seems to have his climbing and glacier travel skills down so well he might as well be a guide). Almost all of my big trips in the last 8 years have involved going with a packaged mountaineering trip with guide service. In the last 3 years I have started doing international trips, went to Nepal Khumbu region (Sagarmatha National Park) with Adventure Consultants out of New Zealand, the next year went to Mexico with Alpine Ascents International out of Seattle, last year went to Ladakh, India with KE Adventure out of the UK (that is where my photos that I posted here are from). I am 42 year old man, single with no kids and Engineer, and I deliberately bought a "low end" house so I would have money to travel.

Even when I travel to Marathons it often involves a hike. For example I traveled to the Phoenix area several years ago to run the lost Dutchman marathon, I stuck around a couple of extra days to get a hike in, I climbed Superstition Mt.. When I travel to the Sugarloaf Marathon in Maine I like to stick around an extra day and climb Bigelow Mountain.

I started running because the fitness benefits it made hiking more enjoyable.
#3 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 11:23 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Sounds like you travel quite a bit yourself. I tend to do trips with local guides which cuts the group size down, in fact in basically insures a private trip. For nepal it will be me and my hiking partner with our own guide and our own porters.

Its also cheaper by about 50%!

How about the Grand canyon? This will be my 15th time this October.

#4 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 5
Do you mean travelled to hike? If so then no, but every vacation... every one has hiking in it. Not all have backpacking.

Last summer we backpacked as a family in the Rockies - back country camping. From the time our kids were 9 months we've hiked with them, first in backpack carriers then holding hands and pushing bums up the trail.

Purveyor of Awesome since 1958.

#5 of 23 Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Day hiking in Utah - Bryce & Zion National Parks. And then many a weekend getaway in the White Mountains in NH. To me that counts as a vacation - since I unplug completely!
#6 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Utah is great hiking. I still need to go to Canyonlands and Arches. Did you do the Narrows hike in Zion? You really miss out if you don't start at the top.
#7 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Special Member

Loved the hoodoos in Bryce Canyon! Beautiful camping and hiking.
#8 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 06:57 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

It's one of my favorite places. this october will my 15th time.

#9 of 23 Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Hi! I'm new here, but couldn't resist this topic. Pre-kids my wife and I used to vacation around hikes all the time. Heck, we did our honeymoon in the Presidential Range here in New Hampshire...and moved to where we now live because it's an hour from the mountains and about 45 minutes from the beach. We've also done vacations in the Bigelow Range in Maine and the Smokies.

Now that the kids are older, I'm starting to get them into it too...we all did a quick run (literally for me, but...) up Mt Major in New Hampshire last weekend. The kids moaned and groaned all the way up, but they were all pretty proud of what they had done afterwards...I'm thinking it's time to get them backpacks...
#10 of 23 Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Setting out on my forth trip on the John Muir Tral in July. However, tis will be the first time since having cancer. I call this one the [email protected]#*k Cancer Tour If you are on the trail I'll be the one with the T-shirt that says it all.

#11 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 AM

I did a trek in Morocco a few years ago, fun - warm but fun

Most of my holiday revolve around walking in scotland at the moment. The weather varies thought:

This is actually cloud not mist!

I've probably got some great weather ones floating around somewhere

Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance.
#12 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 36
Likes Given: 12
Tell me about Morrocco. I'm debating going back to Nepal and doing the Annapurna circuit or doing an organized trekking trip to Morrocco starting in Casablanca and ending in Marrakesh. I'm truly torn! I love Nepal but Morrocco seems so exotic.
#13 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 PM

I am so jealous of you both two hikes I always wanted to do Hadrians Wall and treck the Himalayas.
#14 of 23 Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Special Member

Suddenly I remember that Peanuts cartoon where Linus and Charlie Brown are looking at the clouds. Linus waxes poetic about seeing the Apostle Paul at the Temple of the Areopagite, etc. Charlie Brown says, "Well, I was going to say I saw a doggie and a horsie, but I think I'll just be quiet."

I'm terribly envious of all your great international and significant US hiking adventures!!

I'm a single mom with three kids ( 16, 13, & 8 ), and I'm just getting them into hiking. So far we've done only day treks, 3-10 miles in the George Washington & Jefferson National Forests near our home in Virginia. We're planning to hike in the White Mountains next month, and possibly do a 2-3 night backpacking excursion in the Alleghanies or Blue Ridge this summer. All the kids have their hiking shoes, sleeping bags, internal frame packs, and trekking poles - they're pretty psyched.

(We hiked 7.3 miles on Mothers' Day. DS8 got tired about 5 miles in and asked me to carry his pack. I would have refused, but decided that if I didn't take the pack for a few minutes then, I'd be carrying him AND the pack before we got back to our car. When I shouldered his pack, I realized it weighed 'way more than it should, so I asked him what was in it. Turns out he'd packed his sleeping bag and a $*%#load of toys. Just what we needed for a pleasant afternoon in the woods!)
#15 of 23 Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 PM

You've got two very different ones there

I've just met up with Jen and Vogel for a few days in NH during my visit to the states.

Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance.
#16 of 23 Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Special Member

We hike in the Adirondacks every fall- not such a long hike but we let the day and weather dictate what it will be. We are just day hikers.
I also will tie a short hike into a marathon trip weekend, and we hiked for two days in Stowe on just such a trip. Other than that, just trails in Western New York for the most part.
#17 of 23 Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 15
Before kids, we did a lot of hiking in NH and ME. We'd go for a week camping in Acadia NP and hike all those mountains. We also did some hiking around Moosehead Lake (Gulf Hagas comes to mind), Mt. Battie in Camden and some of the mountains up in the North Conway area. We've also hiked all over the Belknap Range near Lake Winnipesaukee and of course Mt. Major many times with nieces/nephews.

The kids are now old enough we have them doing local walks-in-the-woods and they are enjoying it. We are hoping as they get older they'll enjoy the hiking/exploring/camping vacations we used to take before they were born.
#18 of 23 Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Special Member

I mostly post on the 30's thread but saw this thread and had to add that if you CAN ever go here, do it...the Island of Kaui'a, Hawai'i. It's laid back and NOT what you would think of Hawai'i tourist-y--the residents of the Island work hard to keep traffic down and limit tourists.

They have hiking all over a small sland, but it ranges from Grand-canyon like features on the south side, to intensive tropical rain forest and more rugged terrains in the middle of the island, to really intensive hiking (advanced skill required) with second-to-none views of the ocean on the north end. The thing that impressed me most was that everything is something you've never seen before--from the birds to the bugs to the flora.

I really love it there--and they have hiking for every level. PM me if you want details! Here's a good website that shows the variety of natural features:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D18%26um%3D1

Craney
#19 of 23 Old 12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I love hiking in the Adirodacks. Always fantastic. We also did some hiking in Ireland in Killarney Park. Acadia Park in Maine has some excellent well mapped and maintained trails as well.
#20 of 23 Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 PM

We hiked in the Troodo mountains on Cypress when we took a Mediterranean Cruise last April. It was beautiful, but it really reminded me of the hiking I do right here in West Virginia all the time. The terrain was almost exactly the same.

J.
#21 of 23 Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM

We hiked in the Troodos mountains on Cypress when we took a Mediterranean Cruise last April. It was beautiful, but it really reminded me of the hiking I do right here in West Virginia all the time. The terrain was almost exactly the same.

J.
#22 of 23 Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 AM

Recently spent a weekend at Lonesome Lake Hut in the White Mountains of NH. Gotta love the Whites. Before that, summer hiking around Crested Butte CO.
#23 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I've hiked a lot of places, some already mentioned here. My favorites:

Zion Canyon - Angels Landing
Bryce
El Yunque in Puerto Rico (the only tropical rainforest in the US Forest Service system)
Dunloe Gap in County Kerry Ireland (near Killarney)

Closer to home I can always hit the AT at Skyline Drive and further south in Virginia, Crabtree Falls is pretty spectacular.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page