Montreal Kicksters..... & Active/CR refugees - Page 103 - KickRunners.com

#2551 of 6206 Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Great time Merc. Are you sure however that you didn't finish 41/15? That's what I saw (Last time we met, your name was not "Unknown See Timer", who finished first in the agegroup SMNOAGE). Anyway, I am happy that no resuce mission was necessary. Maybe we can meet each other down there one of these years.

Today I did my long run again on "The Wall". Since I knew what was coming, the ascent wasn't that much of a problem. The following trails however were pretty exhausting. Rocks and mud, mud and rocks. Up and down, down and up. I ran a full minute/km slower than planned. Moreover, the trails are not marked so that it is difficult to know which one to follow. And sometimes they are hardly visible, too. It will take me some more runs to get to know the network and not "following my nose". The Grollies would probably love that terrain.

Follow your nose - Ralf

P.S.: Note to my memory. Next time I should remember to carry my cell and a bear bell.

Don't drink and derive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2552 of 6206 Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Ha ha. That's me Ralf. The runner with the bag over his head! I don't know about that 40 placing. On the tent, the results had me 40th, on the results page.....?uhoh2.gif Don't know what it all means. Just know I couldn't beat all the 40+'ers.biggrin.gif Sorry we couldn't meet up though. Pity!icon_salut.gif
#2553 of 6206 Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Note for clarity: "bear bell" != "beer belly"

Don't drink and derive

#2554 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM

Good work on the Run for the Toad, Mercury! It sounds like you had a good time.

I finally ran over the weekend.. I had been sick twice in the last few weeks, so I hope I am over that for the rest of the year! It was good to get back running, and I wasn't sore or anything. Maybe a little slower, but I was pushing the stroller also.

Have a nice week everyone!
Truxx
#2555 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Merc: Congratulations, sounds like the trip was well worth the travel time.

Ah.. the end of the training cycle is here. I made it! The last ten days have been both physically and mentally demanding, The 20 miler was run conservatively with my heart rate remaining below 150bpm. The average pace was about 5:35/km. I took the running gel 2 hours into the run and it did help sustain the energy levels. My legs felt heavy after two hours as they lost their spring. I was left to grind it out toward to the end. I made a detour and decided to run the reverse course of the Run for the Cure. I saw a few friendly faces which lifted my spirits.

Ran this morning for an hour and the legs are alright. The spring is slowly returning but I realise the cumulative effects of the last 10 days are making themselves felt.

On the menu this week: track workout, a 15km at marathon pace and a 2 hour long run.

Have a good one,

TB
#2556 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 4
I don't know why you insist on taking only one gel ... you know, it would be more beneficial to take more than one ... and the less you burn yourself on the run, the faster you will recuperate.

Nutrition is of utmost importance during an endurance race ...

Sally
#2557 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Special Member

I heard somewhere that Lance Armstrong took around 20 gels in his first NY marathon. But then again you would need a full time staff just to open them up and hand them to you.confused.gif
#2558 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

SS: One gel was sufficient for the long run. My heart rate was under control, given the pace. It's beyond the two hour mark of a run that the consumption of a gel proves to be of benefit.

I'm trying to determine the optimal number of gels to take. I was planning on using 2 gels for the race: one midway into the race and the other at the 32km mark. That should be sufficient. Although I've benefited from them, the fact that I have not used them extensively in training, leads me to be more cautious about how frequently I take them.

TB
#2559 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

TB, I agree. If you're expecting to be on your feet for only 3.5 hours, you should be fine with 2 gels. Stay away from refined sugar if you can.

Roly, Lance is really into taking stuff.

Looks like I'll have to put The Toad on the long list of what I want to do.

Fourth in a series:
Sitting in a hospital bathroom, staring at a poster of a 15-step handwashing procedure while your sweaty tush is sliding around the rim, really drives home the fact that germs are everywhere.
#2560 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Df7
Advanced Member

Regarde dans ta boite au "lettre" - photos pour te rendre malade.

Sorry folks, would have put them here, don't know how, and munchkin needs the pc.

Going out in a bit for an short out and back - all I have time for - anyone run today besides Ninj ?
#2561 of 6206 Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Special Member

7 tours of France tittles. I would like to have a liitle of that stuff.

That series of your just gave me a bad visual. AAHHGGG get out of my head.

Go get em Df7.
#2562 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM

I went running last night for a short run at the regional park. I had some time before the kids hockey game, so I used it to train. I increased the spped in some parts, and I am getting back into shape quickly.

Truxx
#2563 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Df: nothing in the mail.... (edited to add: just saw da thing... Brrrrrrr)
TurtleB: In your shoes, I would be extra-extra-extra prudent against local virus. I got hit 4 days ago. I'm flat & shivering the whole day. Stay away from humanity.
#2564 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

MLC: Thanks for the warning. My hypochondria is starting to surface and I'm wearing extra layers wherever I go. In addition, to the reduction in training, I'm reducing the time spent outside and focusing on staying home and resting. However, if I am fated to catch this bug, I'd prefer that it be sooner than later. I'll remember to wear extra layers for track workout this evening.

TB
#2565 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Be careful TB. Everyone is sick at home. I'm the first of my family to recover.

I'm going to test out the tibia on a treadmill today. *gulp*
#2566 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
Wearing extra layers is one thing, bringing extra layers to change into (to keep dry) is another and changing into them is even better (as you know...)!

hint hint.

Things to help your immune system:
I think the #1 more underrated is
1- Getting enough sleep...
2- eat plenty of veggies (vitamins). If you can't find any, make an appointment with me, I'll gladly go to Scores with you (or anyone). Scores has a salad bar with fresh veggies, amazing soups and great chicken.
#2567 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm... I went for a 15-minute treadmill jog. Super duper easy, but in the middle of it I heard and felt a "click" in my shin. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't enjoyable either.

Anyone with shin splints ever have this happen to them?
#2568 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Special Member

KZ: uh that doesn`t sound good... I'm guessing the click came from your shin (and not your ankle)? Cause my ankle clicks...
#2569 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

I clearly felt it in my shin, maybe an inch above my ankle. Almost like something falling into place. It didn't hurt but it didn't feel like a knuckle-cracking kind of release.

Sitting down and doing the ABCs with my foot - flexing and stretching the whole ankle area - it feels okay.
#2570 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Special Member

Am I the only one hating the darkness in the morning?
#2571 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

KZ, dispite my long history of shin problems, I never had this happen to me. On the other hand, I always stopped running before it became really bad. I have a vague memory to have read something about a audible sound related. I will see, wether I can find the reference tonight. Not sure however, that I can locate it. I have read so much about shin problems that it is hard to remember the sources. Do you have any signs of inflammation in your shin, like slight warming? Is there a spot on or close to your shin which hurts if you put pressure on it?

DR: Get up later. icon_salut.gif

Follow your nose - Ralf

Don't drink and derive
#2572 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

KZ: I just checked everything I read recently about running injuries but can't find what I believe to remember. Sorry, I will keep tying to find it. Nevertheless, take a look at my previous questions.

Follow your nose - Ralf

Don't drink and derive
#2573 of 6206 Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Ralf,

Slight warming - YES. The whole shin muscle along the outside was warm and throbbing (but not painful) after the jog.

Specific area of pain - NO. I can't feel any spot that I would say is painful. I'm pressing pretty hard around the whole area and I wouldn't qualify anything as painful.

I iced it a couple of times already and I definitely won't try jogging until Thursday at the earliest. I read that stress fractures (not sure if I have one though) may not respond very well to NSAIDs, so I'm laying off them and taking calcium and Vitamin D supplements instead. I know that the right order of things is to get diagnosed before starting a treatment, but they're only vitamin and mineral supplements... the worse that can happen is some unnatural bone growth... not necessarily a negative outcome, come to think of it...

If I feel okay tomorrow, I'll continue the shin muscle exercises and stretching out the calves. I just might be able to start running in November.
#2574 of 6206 Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like the "cracking" of connective tissue, nothing more. Some hear that sound from the knees when they squat down, for instance. It's the tendons that span a joint that make the noise.....nothing serious.

Ran hard through the hills on the mountain today, quite agressively. I'm paying for it now in the form of a very strained groin, the same that bothered me all winter & spring. Will it ever end?roll_eyes.gif
#2575 of 6206 Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Hej KZ,

I wouldn't think that it is a stress fracture although this certainly can't be excluded. In most cases, a stress fracture has a very well defined tender spot.

If it is warm, there is definitely inflamed tissue. Therefore, I would not do any strength training or stretching or whatsoever. While the inflammation is there this will only delay the healing.

In your situation, I would continue the NSAID's for some time. Yes, some sources say that they may interfere with the bone growth. Other sources say that you can take them for some time to get rid of the inflammation. And since you don't know whether it is a stress fracture but you can be reasonably sure that there is an inflammation I would go with them.

Diagnosis is not always easy. I am not sure whether you know my story. After a marathon and a 25 km race in the mountains (the famous Dragon-Run) I stopped running in January 2006 due to persistent shin problems. Since they did not go away, I got a bone scan during the summer of 2006. Diagnosis: most likely a stress fracture. Ok, I paused for increasing amounts of time but with no result. In the summer of 2007, I convinced my family doctor to obtain an MRI. Result: no signs of a stress fracture (and they usually see old ones, too) but a mild periostitis (aka shin splints).

How did I get rid of it? I am not sure that I did. At least not completely. After another encounter with the injury, I paused for 3 month. After that I restarted training according to a beginners program (the C25k type). Even with this, I had some setbacks. When I increased the weekly distance, I sometimes felt the injury flaring up again. I learned to back off when this happens. Right now, this works much better (I increased from 12 km in January to 18-20 km per week. This sounds little but is a increase of 50 %. And it is better then no running at all). I am still pretty careful when I increase length or intensity of my workouts and sometimes I still have the impression that there is something. But after such a long time I might just be a little hypersensitive. (Yes, call me a whimp. Gro, Chops, anybody? I prefer to be a running whimp to being a non-running hero). Good luck with your shin KZ.

Follow your nose - Ralf

Don't drink and derive

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page