Friday, August 9 Workouts - KickRunners.com

#1 of 6 Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 216
Likes Given: 164
Friday, August 9 Workouts

Hey all,

Usual 41 mile commute for me, with a solo walk at lunch.

Tomorrow's bagelry ride will hit the beach for a bit. Not entirely flat (one road with some good rollers), but nice to have an easier route...

What's the story with the horse (?) statue you use as an avatar, Yo?

geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 341
Likes Given: 3
Geo - I have no idea actually... it looks to me more like a Chinese statue than Japanese. These stone animals are often used at the entrance of shrines to protect the gods from outside. Often used are dogs, foxes and don other animals that are unidentifiable/imaginary. Like this one.

Got nothing. A part of being busy for the last four days is DS has developed some medical issues and being in excruciating pain. Pilonidal cyst flare-up (1st time). Horribly bad timing, with our departure to Hong Kong next Tuesday and school starting a week after our return. Many calls and two doc visits and tons of worries and effort to try to come up with the best plan (in case a surgery was needed) between. He is doing better and we are keeping fingers and toes crossed that he can go onto this trip (and climb Mt. Fuji) he has been looking forward to. Please send a good healing vibe to his way!!
#3 of 6 Old 08-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 1
Oh Yo sorry about DS and illness, seems to be a lot of strange illnesses striking around and about

For Aug 9 I took up my annual tradition of a birthday swim. I had a friend visiting who often paddles to support my swims. Launched him at the voat ramp midway down new fork lakes
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...4d-109.9467087

THen drove with SO to the trail head where we departed on @ 2 mile hike to the far east/back end of the upper lake. We were actually racing my friend in the kayak

Then I began my swim, it was @ 57 degrees and @ 7,800 ft and that section is up to 600 feet deep. I swam on top so I suppose it doesn't matter @ 1.25 miles in we came to the narrows between the 2 lakes which had an eddy pushing us backwards, once through the second lake was noticeably warmer (@60) and we attempted to head down the center to the little cove at the far end however the wind blew us far to the side 9roughly south side) and we continued on a cloud parked itself over us and discharged rain and hail. When it was done the sun began to come out but strangely we were pulled across the lake, it seemed to be in part the discharge/outlet into the new fork river and partially wind so we passed right by the cove and ended on the "north" side of the lake before finally making it to the end @ 3.5 miles of more excitement than I expected. saw some Kokanee (no idea how to spell it) a kind of landlocked salmon.

We flowed up with food and cake. Speaking of which CAK/cake is amongst the missing here

#4 of 6 Old 08-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 1
hey it didn't attach my photo the first time..maybe this time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190809_104534.jpg (408.5 KB, 4 views)
#5 of 6 Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 216
Likes Given: 164
That looks gorgeous (and pristine) Sbee!
#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 341
Likes Given: 3
Happy belated birthday SB! And sounds like a fantastic adventure to swim in the cold temp at 7k above sea level.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page