Let's try a comeback!! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 10 Old 04-10-2018, 05:40 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
Let's try a comeback!!

I'm back! I think..

Anyway,question. I'm taking a full-time travel job. Any advice on how to train for IM for the next 4 + months?

Adam

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Traveling locally or getting on a plane type travel?
#3 of 10 Old 04-10-2018, 10:51 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Probably on a plane every week. If I drive, I can take my bike and trainer. I hear I may be going to San Diego.

#4 of 10 Old 04-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 358
Likes Given: 3
I travel often but have never trained for IM.
Are you going to be at a same place all the time or different locations? My case is latter and planning is the key. I always searched state parks and such with mile markers in advance near my trip destination or en route when I was training for a marathon. Also there are some good websites to tell you where to swim. On more than a few occasions I joined a local masters workouts, which were fun. I belong to a national gym chain (lifetime fitness), which has been very useful. I’m sure you will find ways to get in workouts on the toad. I would imagine the challenge may be how to keep a good balance between squeezing much needed long rides and family time and whatever else needs your attention when you are home.

Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 07:26 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks YoSake. You've nailed my thought exactly on what I was thinking. I think it will be the same place for weeks at a time, but i'm not sure. Luckily Monica gets the "family time" and and long training. I've only got 4 months, so we'll work it out. I'm just going to have to figure it all out.

#6 of 10 Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
I have no better advice than Yoshiko and she knows better than anyone what travel is like combined with training.
#7 of 10 Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 112
Likes Given: 227
Same.

I have not trained for an IM, but when I was training while traveling, I booked hotels with a decent gym and running trails nearby OR the hotel had an agreement with a local gym. If that didn't work, I would find a local gym that allowed day passes. Same goes for a pool.

San Diego - you should be able to find ALL kinds of great places to work out!
#8 of 10 Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
I worked on the North Slope and trained for an IM, so my situation was similar but not exactly the same. For my two weeks at work I did all my training on the treadmill and exercise bike with no swimming. That meant some 2-3 hour treadmill runs and 4 hour exercise bike rides. The two weeks at home were periods of intense training.

It's not optimal, but you can do it. ****, people have successfully trained for IMs while being stationed on aircraft carriers. You can put up with an awful lot for a defined period of time as long as you understand and accept that there are limitations and that your results may not be as successful as if you were at home.

Mike
#9 of 10 Old 04-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 136
Likes Given: 1
Hey just got back in town. I usually connect with a local tri club before I go to an area and I post on DYST (did you swim today) this usually gets me some people who will show me the ropes and have workouts, may have bikes you can borrow or rent. Once I've connected with a few people and workouts I figure out if I will go solo or if their schedules work for me. If its San Diego I can likely connect you with what you need to train outdoors. There are groups swimming at 6am in the ocean all the way to just before sunset. The San Diego Tri club has regular workouts for ow swim, pool swim, bike and run. There are Tuesday/Thursday evening after work rides at Fiesta Island and tons of places to run and several running clubs. Masters swims all over the county. If its not here then I imagine you could find something similar.

When I had a lot of commuting to the DC area I wanted to buy a bike but never did. I find that the most challenging thing is I want to train on a real road bike. Several places in San Diego rent but it can get expensive fast. You might be able to work out something with one of the local shops (I did that for my texas trips).
#10 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 358
Likes Given: 3
Sounds like AdCo hit a jackpot with the SB's post!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page