What do you all eat during long rides? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 11 Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
What do you all eat during long rides?

Hi,

Haven't been around much, but I'm looking for food ideas and how many calories you try to get in on IM length rides or half or any endurance.

I'm trying to find new stuff or new options.

Adam

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
PBJ
poptarts
frito corn chips half way through in bike special needs bag during race

I generally eat fewer calories than others but it works for me. I eat about 175ish calories and hour an hour on the bike.
#3 of 11 Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 136
Likes Given: 1
Hi Adam!!
I’ve only been riding up to @ 50 miles and I’ve fallen back to very old habits from racing in the 80’s, I eat small boiled potatoes with salt (kept in my pocket), chunks of apple with some glucose tabs as back-up. I save the gals and carbopro for swimming.

#4 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
I always stuck with bars and gels. I had tried getting my calories in via liquid but didn't like carrying packets and having the prepare them, plus having a bottle to take away from straight water. I was also successful at going with bars and gels (plus a few other things) AND liquid calories but that only lasts so long for me because I just don't have the time -- and I do not want to take the time in race -- to prepare.

In general, I gobbled the equivalent of a half a bar every 15 minutes (or a gel). That gave me roughly 400 to 500 calories per hour when racing. I stress when racing because, I found, it was the only way to get me to run hard -- like to run more than plod, to be in control rather than suffering a death march. In training I probably did 3/4 to half of that. I'd start the first few hours on target and then fall into my ride. But it never mattered because my brick runs were at most 5 miles after 100+ mile rides.

On top of that, I knew I was not a programmed machine, so I listened to my body. I think this was always one of my greatest strengths. Sometimes I need to catch up on calories. Often times I actually need to SKIP feedings or feed less.

To be honest, if carrying my own liquid calories was easier, I would have done that both in long course triathlon and in mountain ultra running.
#5 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 07:41 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks, thor, I drink a lot of my calories but try to eat as well.. i'm just trying to play with things right now.

#6 of 11 Old 03-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdCo View Post
Thanks, thor, I drink a lot of my calories but try to eat as well.. i'm just trying to play with things right now.
What worked really well for me was being flexible. It's more my nature anyway. What I mean is that just because you think (through calculations and trials) that you need x calories per hour, if you are constantly assessing your body and how you feel and are performing, taking into account everything, including energy exertion, weather, water, salts, calories, etc. and address anything that comes up (and if it doesn't work, assess again and try something else), I always was able to smooth over any failed plan, because let's face it -- our bodies aren't exactly programmed machines. After any given race got hard, from that point forward I would spend the rest of the race constantly assessing needs. And I would not be afraid to try to fix. Because even if you screw up, you're burning so hot that whatever you put in will burn quickly for another try again.
#7 of 11 Old 03-03-2017, 07:28 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
What worked really well for me was being flexible. It's more my nature anyway. What I mean is that just because you think (through calculations and trials) that you need x calories per hour, if you are constantly assessing your body and how you feel and are performing, taking into account everything, including energy exertion, weather, water, salts, calories, etc. and address anything that comes up (and if it doesn't work, assess again and try something else), I always was able to smooth over any failed plan, because let's face it -- our bodies aren't exactly programmed machines. After any given race got hard, from that point forward I would spend the rest of the race constantly assessing needs. And I would not be afraid to try to fix. Because even if you screw up, you're burning so hot that whatever you put in will burn quickly for another try again.
I try to be flexible, but I have to try things out as sometimes stuff doesn't sit well, etc.. that's why I'm looking for different options NOW while I don't have to stress too much and carry them all aroudn..

#8 of 11 Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 136
Likes Given: 1
Adco-I know what you mean and what Thor means and its good to try them out as mileage is building so you dont' blow a major ride with the wrong food. For longer swims (where my digestion is more of a problem) I always had what usually works, a back up that generally works and then something completely different for the actual channel events. To that end I found adding the things I need into the drink helps more than premix-I use water, diluted juice or green tea as a base (and several other swimmers have found the last to be best) add in carbopro which is a type of maltodextrin, then electrolytes (bought the powders from now foods and add salt). For cycling my stomach is easier than swimming but I need more salt. (my blood tests show a perpetual low sodium and after a ride its sometimes a full deficiency).
So I mentioned the potatoes (more potassium than bananas) , these are boiled new potatoes in a size small enough to consume direct out of the pocket and I throw sea salt on them, I have electrolyte tabs for when its getting worse (I like the new saltstik chewables and the old caps) water and sometimes I add vitalyte if my stomach is acting up, it comes in single serving pouches so I can just dump it in as needed.
I also have enjoyed fig newtons (get the king sized 2 cookie packs), pb&j cut into bit sized squares, banana (but not before a hill). Most of this is old school stuff that you can make at home and carry in a pocket. I've made my own re-creation of the original powerbars (used to get those in the late 70's) powdered milk, peanut butter or almond butter, some salt and honey use enough powdered milk to form into balls and roll in a little cornstarch and again eat out of a bag in your pocket. I am interested in real foods we can keep in our pockets or belts and eat and higher electrolyte are a big plus!
#9 of 11 Old 03-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 112
Likes Given: 227
Honey stinger chews
uncrustables (frozen when you start, defrosted and ready to eat when you need them)
vanilla double stuffed oreos
Poptarts (my husband swears by them)
Gu
pretzels stuffed with PB
rice crispy treats

any combination of the above...tho HS chews and GU are always part of my long rides.
#10 of 11 Old 03-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
my magic combo for 6+ hour rides/events was to do 200cal/hr in drink (1 bottle PB) and 2 gels (every 30) and 1/2 - 1 bar every 60. So about 400-500/hr depending on how spot on I am

The bar I would do
Powerbar cookies and cream - the flat ones not any of the newer fancier stuff that didn't sit well well
Sweet and Salty Bars - THESE work REALLY well and they are a flavor/texture change that made my mouth and tummy happy
Honey stinger waffles - but they dont have as many calories, so usually a whole one

NOTE: What works for me during cold or inside was not the same as HOT. Nothing with liquid protein in hot for me or I am screwed. The Sweet and Salty worked, but limited. I had to take a bit every once in a while instead of throwing down half of one in a single shot

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#11 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
I've been using Tailwind or VFuel with minimal chews (skratch labs).

They weren't long rides by any means, but for Battle of Waterloo and for Survival of the Shawangunks, I used Tailwind or VFuel on the bike (with skratch labs chews as I felt...especially during last bike at BoW), water and a gel during the runs, grabbed a sip or 2 of on course liquid fuel as I felt or needed (which was not often).

I'd have to go back and look at photos to remember what exactly I did at Vineman.

Haven't been riding long yet this year, but have been liking B-Line natural energy gels.
https://blinenaturalenergy.com/
Honey, Blackstrap Molasses, Maple Syrup, Raspberry and Chia Seeds
Pomegranate, Banana, Maple, Honey, Coconut

Cheryl (aka cake)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page