1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thor

#1 of 4 Old 09-06-2016, 06:49 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Tuesday, Sept. 6 - WORKOUTS!

Good morning, TEAM LIT!

Some seriously awesome cycling over the Labor Day weekend. I will be tuning up my bike (likely the mountain bike first) very soon.

Had a great Labor Day weekend here hanging with LeftRightRepeat (aka Snoop Dawg; aka John) and MuffinQueen and Daysman up at LRR's lake house. Spent a lot of quality time (quality because it was sans kids, meaning we could actually socialize on a fun adult level without divided attention on the kids). Discovered a new love in Kayaking. Yes, I will be getting a kayak at some point.

In an effort to continue my mental shift away from thinking -- and living as if -- I will return to running competitively one day and toward that of just exercising (this is a bigger challenge than I thought, as I've never been an "exerciser" though that is all I am doing right now -- hard to explain, but I think you guys get it), I will try NOT posting workouts any longer, as they really aren't workouts in my mind because they do not move me toward anything. But I'll continue posting every day because, well, you are my friends and I cannot live without knowing what you're up to and being involved. So I'll try it this way instead. I am committed to "exercising" and will be walking (or running if I can) at least a mile every day. My "streak", while not officially a running streak any longer, is my baby, and I will honor it and the original reasons I started it, only now with a walk. I'll be 13 years in December of a mile a day walking or running.

Great day, friends!
zojmn151 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 362
Likes Given: 3
Thor - I read your post with a bit of sadness, but I know it's all good. You will be here and give us your usual support and we will be here to hear your day! Like the one you just had - great pics! Yeah you do need some adult time! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure in a kayak in the near future.

HOT HOT! 5 miles drenched in sweat. Misty (Dad's dog) is giving me some issues... she is so attached to me and doesn't want to sleep anywhere else but near me. The trouble is I am a very light sleeper and her movements (walking, scratching, etc) wakes me up. I tried to lock her up in DS's room and sleep with him, but she cried and scratched the door in the middle of the night to wake him up to let her go. Forget about putting her in a cage.... Even during a day, she tends to get in a garbage can so I need to try to put her in a cage and she refuses to go in. I hate to force her into the cage...

Will try to do some strength exercises which I have been ignoring, between chauffeuring and cooking.
#3 of 4 Old 09-06-2016, 03:22 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Funny (sort of) story about Misty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
Thor - I read your post with a bit of sadness, but I know it's all good. You will be here and give us your usual support and we will be here to hear your day! Like the one you just had - great pics! Yeah you do need some adult time! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure in a kayak in the near future.
It is more a mental shift for me. I will do nothing physically different. I will still walk; I will still work core 2 to 3 times per week; and I will still do the other "exercise" stuff I've always done. And I am not giving up on getting my health issues resolved. I'm just going to try a more concerted effort to shift my mind from being of the thought that I'm just in my current state (which isn't bad; mentally I'm doing good) temporarily. I think having the thoughts that I will one day return to running front and center in my mind, this to me is not as productive as it could be, because it is taking away (I think) energies towards other activities. I've been gradually developing other hobbies, and I want to get to the point where I give myself "permission" to let them take priority. For example, you should see the patio I've been building! I think a new hobby is growing, and I'd hate to keep it on the side while I continue to focus all of my mental capacity on getting better so that I can get back to competing. I want more energy put on my whole life, including getting better for my health and my hobbies, regardless of what they might be, but to not blindside myself with notions that may or may not be real. I've never been one to need that carrot. I have always been self motivated, so it's not like I need the carrot of maybe running competitively again some day. But what I am missing is the "permission" to let that go so that other things can more readily take over into hobbies, etc. This isn't to say my life revolves around running competitively; it does not. But in my mind and thoughts, I'm still waiting for the switch to flip so that I can get back to running competitively and living that lifestyle. I am not living the lifestyle of some of my other interests (DIY projects: patio, finishing basement, bathrooms, other construction, etc.). My thoughts are that maybe if I truly look at and even talk about my "exercise" as just that -- exercise -- and not keeping fit for when I finally get better, I think mentally I might settle the constant quest in my brain for getting better. It consumes me, and so I want to be proactive in finding more balance. I'm good right now, but I am worried this will lead to no good -- consumed with thinking I will be better and living my life that way. Hard to explain. Obviously.

#4 of 4 Old 09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
70 min on elliptical. I just did not and do not right now have it in me to keep going hard. This substituted for the speed work on the TM I was supposed to do today. Something is better than nothing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page