• 2 Post By Yo Sake
  • 2 Post By em73
  • 1 Post By AdCo
  • 3 Post By pcsronbo

#1 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 04:14 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
Question for the Peanut Gallery! another 140.6... this year?

So I've been toying with the idea of doing another 140.6 this year. IMOO or Cedar Point.

p.s. I would still be at CP Maine either way.

So, curious what you guys think. I came back from Germany sick. Sleeping like 11 hours days (8 at night 3 hours of naps) and it wasn't getting better so I finally got some antibiotics and it's rapidly improving. This has slowed my ability really think about it and make a solid decision.

On one hand, I feel incomplete that I couldn't finish ROTH.

On the other hand, what do I really have to prove? To Whom?

So it's a bit of a struggle.

You guys have known me longer than most so... I am curious what YOUR thoughts are. CoachCarole is OK either way. Doctor is OK either way. DW is OK either way.

do I put my family and body and work through 2 more months of training to complete another one or do I shorten the goals and rock a 70.3 or two and call it a season. Why?

Thanks everyone.. please, unfiltered thoughts is really what I would love to see!

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 05:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
For selfish (and screwed up) reasons I want you to go do IMoo and crush the bike course because it's your home course and I realized last night that I likely can't do 140.6 until 2018.

That said, how much of a monkey wrench would it throw into the rest of your summer? Significant impact on time or finances?

BUT...imagine your finish lines. Which one gets you excited? Does the idea of a potential 70.3 PR feel better than another IM?
#3 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 359
I think you want to do another 140.6. Just to take care of the unfinished business. That's what I feel from your post.
Muffin Queen and ksurp like this.

#4 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
I wouldn't think that you'd do another 140.6 this year to "prove" anything to anyone. I think it's more that YOU set a goal to finish, and you weren't able to do that (stupid lungs!), so it feels unfinished in your head.

If you can, and your family and coach support it, go for it.

As to which one, I feel like you'd have more fun at CP, between the stuff to do for your family, and getting to hang out with your Challenge teammates.
Muffin Queen and cak73 like this.
#5 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
I think that you are looking to prove something to yourself. Really that is the only person we can prove anything to anyway in any real sense. If your family and body will support it then I'd say you should go for it. I read that you want to cross a finish line at that distance in 2015 in your post. You have the fitness and you need to show that to you to make all those hours already in the bank useful in your own head. In other words, use what your family has already given you for time away from them to train to complete the distance you set in your mind to do, 140.6. We'll virtual with you again bud!
#6 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
So, if you really want to finish one. why not take advantage of your training" CP is flat and a great bike for you. You could bring the kids, and schedule pending, maybe a "cohen visit"

If you really wnt to do another 140.6, why not take the hay in the barn from a training and go for it. If you don't feel you want to, that's a different story, you have nothing to prove to anyone.

There may be spots at Tremblant, very pretty up there
ksurp likes this.

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
#7 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19
You certainly don't have anything to prove. You ARE an Ironman! But, that nagging feeling of unfinished business may keep calling your name. Here would be my questions. Are you "there" mentally to take on another 2 months of training? Is your body willing?

If CC and the family are onboard...and unfinished business is calling your name...then I say go for it!
#8 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 08:45 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks. I spent some more time talking to CC and my run coach and we've decided that NO decisions shall be made until next week. Especially since I am fighting this cold (and winning, thanks to Antibiotics now!) and I need to get through 2x swim, 2x bike, 2x run. See if I'm really recovered, or not. If not, that answers that.

finances - check
family - I have 90% confirmation, still working through something I want to be 100% sure on
mental - I am still not sure. Maybe. Yes. No. Depends when you ask. Hence why I need to wait.
work - I have my managers thinking on it to decide how bad I would f- things up if I did 2 more months of training. I've REALLY been working on working myself out of a job So for the last 4 months they've been doing pretty well without me interfering on the day to day and letting me focus more on the big picture. Will know by end of week.

Madison is currently winning the mental battle. More shade, closer, etc. I will miss my teammates at CP dearly, but I wasn't planning to go this year because I have several first time peeps I've been mentoring over the years who are doing their first at IMOO. So although it costs more (foundation spot) the piggy bank is solid right now. ROTH was a surprisingly cheap trip (FF miles to get there helped a ton! not paying for 3 days due to my host was also unexpected)

So I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Yes I do feel I have unfinished business but the question is am I being TOO selfish shooting for another. I already know all of this stuff is selfish. But how selfish it too selfish, that's tough.

Keep the ideas coming!

www.fatman2ironman.com

#9 of 15 Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
I think you should go for it, especially if the stars continue to align. Either way, you know that all of us here support you 100%.
#10 of 15 Old 07-23-2015, 05:05 AM
Special Member

Or, if you don't want to spend two months training, just sign up for Tremblant.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/eve...#axzz3giQJ7Yi0

There will be a ton of us there, so you can have a super fun trip.
#11 of 15 Old 07-23-2015, 05:37 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I thought about it, but DW is already nervous about me going somewhere myself - so the idea of my flying somewhere? Ya that is not going to sit well. However, I've heard this is an awesome course and that would be super fun because not only do I know you guys but also there are several locals going up there too!
But alas I think that is probably not in the cards.

Last night a Madison hotel room fell into my lap (ouch!) from nowhere... 1.5 blocks from the finish. That is what DW is talking about. Knowing I only have to make it that far makes her feel much better.
Muffin Queen, SpartyGirl and cak73 like this.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#12 of 15 Old 07-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Special Member

Well, if you do go to Tremblant Cheryl and I will sag your ass, so you just have to get there. I bet there's a certain LIT Montreal'er who might be convinced to come visit, too...

Besides, it's only a 14 hour drive. Bring the family.
#13 of 15 Old 07-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Special Member

I was about to reply (then saw monica's post).. We've got the sag covered. I'd love to see you out there with us. There prob 10 people we know who will be in town and all more than willing to help/assist/sag.

#14 of 15 Old 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsronbo View Post
But how selfish it too selfish, that's tough.
yep, never ending question in my 10+ years at this stuff
#15 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
yep, never ending question in my 10+ years at this stuff
See, i'm just a selfish prick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page