• 2 Post By Yo Sake
  • 4 Post By Muffin Queen
  • 1 Post By SpartyGirl

#1 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Race Anxiety

I'm signed up for a few races this year and I am starting to get very anxious about them for very strange (new to me) reasons. Since getting back to running in February every single workout has been a run-walk-run. It keeps me going longer (and yes, slower) and I am just so happy to be able to cover distance again.

For my 8 mile run this past weekend I averaged a 12:10 pace, which for me is great. My hip/pelvis held up and recovered quickly and easily after. My workout approach for long runs is 1min run/1min walk...for the whole time. My run pace is right around 10:00 pace which doesn't spike my HR much and allows for a very comfortable stride. If I slow down the run pace my hip gets aggravated. My walk pace is incredibly pedestrian, though same concept - if I walk too fast my stride changes and my hip hurts.

All of this to say, I am nervous about races. I feel like everyone (in the back of the pack) will be judging me. My 'run' looks good, but I'm not able to maintain that pace without walk breaks for more than a 5k and my goal isn't to run a bunch of 5k races. There is a duathlon that I was thinking of doing at the end of May and I am signed up for a half marathon this summer. My goal is to finish and get a medal, but I'm getting very caught up in what other people may or may not think and/or perceive about me and feel like wearing a sign warning that I will be run-walk! It's so silly and stupid, but it is what it is.

I need my team to tell me to get over myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 06:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 32
Likes Given: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyGirl View Post

I need my team to tell me to get over myself!
Get over it!

I use to have a lot of issues with this, so I know what you are going through, but honestly when you think about it, its kind of silly, screw what everyone else things. You are going to waste a lot of energy thinking about it, it will drain you, so best to take that energy and just focus on yourself, like your pace, your comfort, your hips, your breathing, etc. You've been racing a long time (I still remember seeing you in 2008 Steelhead! or was it 2009?), so just be confident in yourself no matter what.
theia, regiolanthe and SpartyGirl like this.
#3 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
Um, the back of packers are certainly NOT the group that will be judging you. it's all in your head.

Also your speed is fine. I'm doing 14min pace averages right now and I'm perfectly happy with that. I'm up to 10/2 run/walk. Just takes a long time.

Clearly though you have some bio mechanical issues going on with your gait, see keep working that angle as that will unlock to inner runner in you and allow you to change up the interfaces. when I started running again in Dec (basically 2 full years off) I was doing 6min WALK 30s-45s RUN. And my run was MAYBE a 13min pace. I first added DURATION - 30min of this, then 45, then 60 and then I started dropping the walk time... 6....5....4... while adding RUN time... 30s...45s...1min.... it takes time, lots of time, to build smart. If you run too much or too hard you're not allowing that hip to adapt to the stresses. The fact the hip complains when you are running slower tells me the gait needs to be tweaked. I wish you were nearby! I'd have you visit my run coach, she'll figure it out for you!

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#4 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Scott & RonBo have it right.

Who cares what other people think? You shouldn't. Why? Because you do this for yourself, not for others. If someone is so petty to judge, flick them. They aren't worth it. They don't live in your shoes or house or skin.

But it's not just that. It's about doing. Experiencing. And by trusting in yourself, tempting personal greatness by just getting on the starting line, that's where the win is. Once the gun fires, none of this matters. If you're walking, there will be someone to walk with. You can exchange smiles. If there's nobody there, don't feel bad. You're being great. You are tempting both success and failure, and by doing so, you win. And because you know yourself to stick to the steady pacing strategy, mark my words that you'll have tons of people coming back to you in the later stages, and then YOU will be the one to pick them up. Because you raced within yourself. Because you were smart. Because you wanted it. So stop thinking too much about it, and just go out there and focus on having fun.

And by the way, nerves are normal. But it's in your head what you think others might think.
theia, regiolanthe and SpartyGirl like this.
#5 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
I hear you. Pretty much all of my friends and training partners are faster than me. They drop me in groups runs/rides and crush me in races. It crushed my spirit - because I let it.

Now I am selective about who I train with and when/where I race. I simply don't participate in the big races where I know I will compare myself to my friends. It's not worth it. It creates anxiety and makes me get down on myself. Screw that! This is supposed to be FUN. So concentrate on the fun aspect of it. Regardless of your pace, you are doing something that the VAST majority of people would never even attempt. That makes you a bada$$! Try not to worry about your pace or how you look, and instead focus on how great it feels to BE OUT THERE doing this sport that we love (and love to hate, haha). We do this for fun. We're not going pro or trying to earn a living. We're doing it to be healthy and active and fit. Pace has nothing to do with any of those goals.

And remember...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lapping.jpg (15.0 KB, 2 views)
#6 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
I understand how you are feeling. When I first started running, I felt it wasn't really "running" if you took walk breaks. My first few races I ran thru every water station. I have since completely gotten over that. There are TONS of people that run/walk. Galloway has legions of fans for that reason. We have both had to scale back and change things due to arthritis and I can tell you that I compare myself (not to others) to how I have been since I got the arthritis. I just can't compare my run pace from 2 years ago when I could do tempo runs and run 25 miles a week no problem. I'm not that person anymore.

Just remind yourself that you are HAPPY to be out there!!! You are doing something that is healthy for you, you are setting a wonderful example to your children. Get out there and enjoy the moment!
Muffin Queen and regiolanthe like this.
#7 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks all!

Scott - you're completely right, it is draining. And silly. There is part of me that gets caught up in what I used to be able to get away with for 'training' and part of me that gets really excited about being smarter and more strategic given my current circumstances. Oh and it was 2008 - the year of the long duathlon.

Ronbo - I definitely have mechanical issues (anterior tilt, dysplasia, labral tear and arthritis - YAY!). Depending on the day the limiter changes. My PTs and I worked hard this winter to release my adductor attachments and find a good working solution and I'm lucky to have access to some good running coaches that specialize in form, but a road trip would be fun! As I work to continue strengthening the small stabilizers and utilize ALL of my muscles the fatigue factors come into play less frequently. The slower run pace finds me collapsing over myself more and plodding which makes the arthritis flare up. If I run engaged and tall, all is well - I just don't have the strength and endurance to hold that pace for more than 30 minutes. And once fatigue sets in, well, I'm screwed. I wasn't terribly pleased that my long run was in the 12s; I tempted fate by not forcing myself to slow down into the 13s where I belong!

Thor - Yup, the doing. In the comfort of my basement I get really pumped about being able to do this. I really do just want to finish some races. I want to keep doing this, experiencing this atmosphere for as long as possible. I also know that we are all fighting our own battles, which is why I am usually kind to others and quite critical of myself!

Theia - You are 100% right. We do this for fun and the sense of accomplishment.

I've had to change my mindset and get over myself for the training part and clearly I need to do that for races too. I am constantly reminding myself that the clock doesn't matter. The beauty of doing a run-walk strategy is that I never get to zone out (has it's drawbacks of course). My mind cannot wander because in 60 seconds the timer beeps and things change. During my run intervals I am always monitoring - hip position, pelvic tilt, etc. If things start to feel wrong I can adjust quickly. The learning curve on the human body is steep, but I'm getting there.

And seriously, thanks for telling me to get over myself!
regiolanthe and cak73 like this.
#8 of 13 Old 05-14-2015, 08:39 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Julie - YES. Exactly. Thank you. And I too used to judge the Galloway folks. Consider me a convert!
#9 of 13 Old 05-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
If someone judges you, feel free to judge them right back for being an *******.
SpartyGirl likes this.
#10 of 13 Old 05-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
woah, we get censored??

*ssholes.
SpartyGirl and cak73 like this.
#11 of 13 Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 351
Likes Given: 3
Alicia,

As you pointed out youself, your anxiety has something to do with how you see yourself, i.e, how you were able to race in the past. Move on, let it go. Your body isn't the same after two major events from the physical point of view. You are doing a great job working with your hips, strengthening, etc.

I know it's easy to say - we all have ever-changing reality to live with, learn from and learn to love. Embrace the process
regiolanthe and SpartyGirl like this.
#12 of 13 Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
I'll hug you hard when I meet you in person and take all those thoughts out of your head with a simple hug.

Basically everyone is right and I do the same thing as you do. We both need to be kinder to ourselves. Let's work on that together this year.
#13 of 13 Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
I'll hug you hard when I meet you in person and take all those thoughts out of your head with a simple hug.

Basically everyone is right and I do the same thing as you do. We both need to be kinder to ourselves. Let's work on that together this year.
You've got yourself a deal.

Again, thank you everyone. I really just need to get out there and get the first race out of the way, like ripping off a band-aid.
cak73 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page