• 1 Post By SpartyGirl
  • 1 Post By Muffin Queen

#1 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 07:03 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Thursday, May 9 - WORKOUTS!

Good morning, TEAM LIT!

RonBo: "Thor I love you can "not" be training for a 55 mile race over a mountain. Hah! Got to love a proper lifestyle to support something like that!"

This point is not at all lost on me. I take great pride in being fit enough to do what I want when I want. I may not always be able to do it as fast as I want, but what I learned a long time back was that the experience and take away comes from the act of doing and not always in how fast you do it. Of course you also need the confidence to tempt failure, because it's always a possible outcome, especially when you're not properly trained for something like this, but I try to look at it as I cannot lose as long as I get out there and have some fun and challenge myself in big ways. For me it comes to a saying I got from our dear friend Barb (TASM): "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Me...

5 mile social trail run early this morning at my favorite set of trails. Watched the sun rise over Boston again this morning. Life is pretty cool.

Great day, friends!
juliemboyle and regiolanthe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
TASM was a wise one indeed. Miss her. Thought about her yesterday when I put on my green M Frame oakleys, she shared similar good style as I. Still have black tape on them as remembrance

Enough sappy stuff, today 1:30 ride for me only 24 miles but I did 4x6min high HR. Wonderful day out.
regiolanthe likes this.

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#3 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 171
Commute day for me again (35+ on the day; mid-17s in).

Like your post, Thor ... takes a while for some of us to reach the point of wisdom that it's the act of doing that matters more than the effort expended at times. I too - am grateful for the opportunity to be drinking it all in every day, and maintaining the health to do so. I can't help but feel that I arrive at work each day more invigorated by "the doing" than not. Truth be told, in an ideal world - there'd be a boombox attached to the bike as well (the one thing I do miss about driving during commute season) - but tranquil is good as well.

Geo.

#4 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Deep thoughts on KR today! DD and I went birding/hiking this morning and saw tons of beautiful herons and cranes (and others). She did great covering 2 miles on the trails with zero complaints! I'll add a couple of miles running later tonight.
juliemboyle likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
TASM <3 She is still alive in all our hearts

Lower fix and abs. Walking later. Giving the knee an extra day before a ride tomorrow.
#6 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 353
Likes Given: 3
Enjoyed reading some wise & thoughtful words. I'm sure TASM is sneezing up there.

Yesterday was DOR. A tech conf all day. Ran into my old boss from about 20 yrs ago. Haven't seen him 10+ yrs. the auto industry in Detroit is a small world.

2500m swim early in the AM. Not as laborious as the workout earlier in the week. Will try am hour run when DS is at the martial arts
#7 of 9 Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I take great pride in being fit enough to do what I want when I want. I may not always be able to do it as fast as I want, but what I learned a long time back was that the experience and take away comes from the act of doing and not always in how fast you do it. Of course you also need the confidence to tempt failure, because it's always a possible outcome . . . but I try to look at it as I cannot lose as long as I get out there and have some fun and challenge myself in big ways.

OMG, I very much needed to hear this!
I have signed up for a very different event for me that's become a bigger, more scary very different event for me. On May 17th, I'll be at the American Zofingen (Mohonk Preserve, Spring Farm Trailhead, New Paltz, High Falls in NY). It's a duathlon with a hilly trail run and a hilly bike. There is a short course (5-29-5), a middle distance F-1 (5-29-5-29-5), and a long course (5-84-15). I'd heard of it, but never really considered it until my coach was all like, "You should come do this with us!" He loves tough courses, but I thought this event would really mix up my training, keep things fresh, get me out of my comfort zone, etc and I've signed up for the short course. My training's been pretty much the same (Vineman Full is on July 25) and I have somehow managed to not get out onto trails as I'd intended when I signed up for this thing. My coach *really* wants me to do the middle distance because he feels it will be more like a half-iron effort than the short course and "will be good" for me (and also he's geared my training plan toward the middle distance).
Am trying to be as positive as possible and lean toward a sense of humor and adventure about the whole thing rather than just plain freaking the eff out...but it's a thin line.

There is a useful race report here that includes things like course profile and elevation gain:
https://swimbikepsych.wordpress.com/...4-race-report/

I also came across this helpful tidbit in the kids section of the spring 2015 USA Triathlon Magazine:
Train Your Brain
Sometimes when we face new challenges, it is easy to get discouraged when things get hard. You have to teach your brain what to do when you're having a hard time with a distance or skill. Say, "OK, brain, I know this is hard. But we've done things that were hard before, and after we worked on the them awhile, they got easier. Let's keep working hard until we get this.

LOL.
I feel like I need all of the help I can get!

Have, as usual, been consistent in my training and I think things are going well even though it feels somewhat strange to be doing this volume this "early" in the season. If you're curious about what I've been up to...
you can catch my TrainerRoad profile here
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/cake73

or my Garmin Connect profile here
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/cake73

Have been swimming 2-3x per week, doing lots of quality work on the trainer (many 2-3 hour efforts), have recently gotten back outside on the bike (sprint du on April 19, long rides of 75 and 81+ miles), and my long runs are up to 15-16 miles. Have been keeping up with my PT exercises, but strength work could use some more dedication (1-2x per week when I'm good about it).

Have been lurking quite a bit, but I'll try to check in more often!

Cheryl (aka cake)

Last edited by cak73; 05-08-2015 at 06:31 AM.
#8 of 9 Old 05-08-2015, 05:38 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak73 View Post
OMG, I very much needed to hear this!
I have signed up for a very different event for me that's become a bigger, more scary very different event for me. On May 17th, I'll be at the American Zofingen (Mohonk Preserve, Spring Farm Trailhead, New Paltz, High Falls in NY). It's a duathlon with a hilly trail run and a hilly bike. There is a short course (5-29-5), a middle distance F-1 (5-29-5-29-5), and a long course (5-84-15). I'd heard of it, but never really considered it until my coach was all like, "You should come do this with us!" He loves tough courses, but I thought this event would really mix up my training, keep things fresh, get me out of my comfort zone, etc and I've signed up for the short course. My training's been pretty much the same (Vineman Full is on July 25) and I have somehow managed to not get out onto trails as I'd intended when I signed up for this thing. My coach *really* wants me to do the middle distance because he feels it will be more like a half-iron effort than the short course and "will be good" for me (and also he's geared my training plan toward the middle distance).
Am trying to be as positive as possible and lean toward a sense of humor and adventure about the whole thing rather than just plain freaking the eff out...but it's a thin line.

I feel like I need all of the help I can get!

Have, as usual, been consistent in my training and I think things are going well even though it feels somewhat strange to be doing this volume this "early" in the season.
See today's daily bread thread (Friday) for a real-world example of my real point -- and that of your coach.
#9 of 9 Old 05-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
I missed a lot of thinking yesterday. Good thoughts all over the place here.

FitRev FIt Cross class in am FIB hill repeats of elliptical. Knees are bothering me a bit so it was the safest course to get in the assigned workout on the elliptical. Better to save the body when I can and still get in the benefits needed for IMMD training.
cak73 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page