• 1 Post By Thor
  • 1 Post By Yo Sake

#1 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 353
Likes Given: 3
Glass City Marathon RR

Goal: Min – Qualify for Boston (3:55). Reach – 3:45

<Training> I followed the Hansons Marathon Method,starting from mid Nov. This is my 2ndtime doing so, after having a good success at 2011 Boston (my 3rd Boston). That was my last marathon. I got injured in early winter of 2012 during a spring marathon training. Running 70 miles was just too much for me. My psoas injury lingered for a long time (actually it hasn’t completely cleared yet) and I thought I would never run a marathon again. For some reasons, I got a Boston bug again in 2014 fall. I had a constant doubt in my head about this psoas issue coming back bad enough to make me stop running. But pre-plan ramp up for a few weeks went ok,so I jumped right in.

Training really went well. One workout (=run) per day wasn’t too stressful,x 6 days/wk. I paid a careful attention not to run too much faster than the prescribed paces for each run with a specific purpose. It was hard at the beginning as the volume ramped up to 50mpw. It wasn’t uncommon I could barely finish each run, dragging my feet. But repeatedly I was surprised how human body adapted to new level of stress. I could feel my body was getting to the next level, then to the next,just getting used to all the volumes and intensity demand. I had my share of discomforts, tightness, and soreness around my back, hip, etc., but two things kept those concerns at bay; weekly 30min massage/stretch session with a therapist and no crazy long run (in relation to the weekly volume). My longest run was 17, just once, during 60-mile wk. Only two 16miles. The long run didn’t break me as they did in the past (following different programs). The Hansons’ “cumulative fatigue” theory did enough to prepare me for running 26.2.

My race plan was derailed when I got a stomach bug 3 days before the Circular Logic Marathon I had signed up, at the end of March. Tapering for this marathon, recovering from the illness followed immediately by 9-day vacation made a big dent to my running volume. But I made the best out of the situation. Looking back, the reduced volume with the frequent MP intensity runs helped me to stay fresh and fit. I ran 5K a few days after recovering from the illness, at 22:49, which was a good confidence booster. Though my marathon times were always way short of predicted times based on the 5K times, I thought 3:55 was more than reasonable goal.

<Race morning> I was determined to drink more & take carbs more. I couldn’t believe the suggested carb intake for my weight was 160-200g. You know how many grams of carbs two packets of oatmeal contain? 60g. Oatmeal is my go-to race morning food, but no way am I consuming 6 packets of it! Also, a suggested water intake with this meal was 36oz of water, about 3hrs before the race start. Then another 24oz 2hrs before and 12oz 1hr before. I didn’t even finish the first 36oz water before the race. I was already feeling the familiar gassy sickness in my stomach. But I knew hydration/calorie intake would be the key to run well to the end, after realizing how little I was taking all these years. So I tried my best in spite of discomfort. While being in a corral, I even finished 12oz of Hammer sports drink. That was a good idea, I am sure. I felt I needed to go to bathroom then, and all the way to the end.

<Race> I lined just infront of 3:55 pace group. I was planning to run a few miles with them and slowly picking up the pace to my 8:45 target. The first mile was so congested that I just went with the flow, listening the pacer yapping. 9:03 – great, exactly what I needed. Here is what happened for the first 13miles;

9:03
8:25 (got too excited to run with more space!)
8:34
8:28
8:35
8:34
8:40
8:38
8:27
8:39
8:26
8:46 (1:52:01). Half way mark: 1:52:53

I tried to slow down to 8:45 pace but wasn’t successful. My HR was 159-160 consistently (which seemed too high) but I felt just right, so I stayed with it. To get to 13miles felt a bit long and never really felt light & springy. But I hada good rhythm going and nothing was hurting. Important thing to note – I took Gatorade every single station except the first one. And already took TWO GU’sby mile 13 followed with water! (Thanks Thor & MQ) as planned. I was sofocused on my plan. This was the only marathon in which I didn’t talk to anybody.

Onto the “no-man’s land” (13 to 20miles)
This is often a rough section. So I was focused to keep a good pace. And as the wind (not as strong as I thought it would be, luckily) hit, Isped up just to catch big runners to tuck behind.
8:47
8:41
8:33
8:41

To my surprise, this part of the marathon went quickly, kind a blur. I just put head down and ran. In the process I lost a few men I was following behind. For a while there wasa pace line of 4. I am sure the guy infront of me didn’t like me running & breathing right behind him.

Saw mile 20 and I was still feeling pretty good (considering having run20 miles!) and was ready to get to the real part of the race. Nothing hurt, which was rare for me,especially considering my back, and hip and hammy sometimes made noise during my much shorter runs. Still taking Gatorade and GU’s as planned. I focused my running forms and some spectators were calling ‘look how she is running so smoothly’ or something. That put a smile on me, and even 20 steps to run tall and graciously (or so tried) made a difference. Giving kids high-fives was always fun and give me an extra ounce of boost.

8:59 (I do recall I was zonedout, and lost focus here and there for the last several miles)
8:38
8:50
8:59
10:36 (8:50 pace)

I felt a twinge to my calf about 1mile away. Other than that, nothing was concerning and I tried to run faster but legs just couldn’t to any faster. It’s amazing people who can negative split. My second half was about 1min 40sec slower than the first, which is pretty good for me. I clearly remember around mile 22-23,thinking ‘this is very similar to the end of long runs during the training….Hansons really knows what they are talking about when they say their long runs simulate the last 16miles of the marathon, not the first 16mile (by having yougoing to 16mile run with very tired legs). I knew the finish line was in the Univ. of Toledo’s football field and I was able to see the stadium but it took forever to actually get to the inside. Once got inside, the finish line was right there – boy, I wish it had given me a bit more to run there to finish strong and soak up the attention. Great to see the final time of 3:47:26!

<Note to myself>

1. Hansons marathon method really works. One of the three key workouts is MP run every week.
2. Topping off hydration constantly to the point of‘want to go to bathroom’ feeling is just right.
3. Take more than you think you need as far as calories go. I think I took 5!

My 5K is slowing down but I think I can run a faster marathon than 3:47. The next marathon in Maui in Sept.is just for FUN. But I am looking forward to tackling the marathon training, all over again, next year!

Last edited by Yo Sake; 04-28-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
I am such a sentimental fool, this made me teary eyed! So happy for you! You executed EVERYTHING so well and weren't afraid to ask for help where you needed it. Congratulations all around.
#3 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Yoshiko, Yoshiko, Yoshiko... I've been wanting to write this for a very long time: Very, very, very well done girl. You were a student of the sport. You were an athlete. And you took care of the small things (nutrition, pacing, believing in yourself). And you did it!

Really happy you finally nailed the hydration and gel strategy. Really, really happy. Because it is very important, as you now know.

Also happy you realize that MP workouts are very, very important. It helps the body know what that pace feels like and adapt to it so that it is efficient at that energy output.

One final thing I am very happy to write: I am very, very PROUD of you for changing your ways and learning to get this right.

Smile. You did better than good! And see you in Boston in 2016
regiolanthe likes this.

#4 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Whoop! What a great RR and a great result and learning for you. So, so happy to see you so happy. What a difference believing in yourself can make.. You made this happen for you and that is a win all day long. Congrats! I'll bee looking for you at the Boston finish line in 2016.
#5 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 135
Likes Given: 1
Wohoo! I feel like I was running with you, way to kill it and run smarter!
#6 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
Awesome job!!! I have been a little out of touch, but was really interested to see this report. The marathon is such a cool thing, with all the little pieces that have to come together. It isn't enough to just be in shape, you have to execute a lot of phases of the day. You ran it clean and you should be immensely proud.

We used to have RR protocol where one was supposed to give a super short summary up front. I am so glad you didn't tell us the time until the end. I was on the edge of my seat. I was confident you hit it, then wavered a bit, gained it back, and boom! You nailed it.

Congrats again!
#7 of 13 Old 04-29-2015, 07:08 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thank you all for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyGirl View Post
and weren't afraid to ask for help where you needed it.
I often ask for help. My problem is I often don't follow the help/advice thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
One final thing I am very happy to write: I am very, very PROUD of you for changing your ways and learning to get this right.
Yep, I finally changed my ways. I don't know why it took this many years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
I'll bee looking for you at the Boston finish line in 2016.
Yes, I am very much looking forward to meeting with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaiser20 View Post
The marathon is such a cool thing, with all the little pieces that have to come together. It isn't enough to just be in shape, you have to execute a lot of phases of the day. You ran it clean and you should be immensely proud.

We used to have RR protocol where one was supposed to give a super short summary up front. I am so glad you didn't tell us the time until the end. I was on the edge of my seat. I was confident you hit it, then wavered a bit, gained it back, and boom! You nailed it.

Congrats again!
Indeed, there are so many pieces going into running a decent marathon. I really paid close attention to details this time. Hey, I am glad that I was able to provide some entertainment/excitement! The only reason I didn't put the finish time at the beginning is that I reported that in the weekend thread. Good thing, you were a little bit out of touch
#8 of 13 Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 171
Good thing your friend alerted you!

Not much to say except WELL DONE (and what a nice set of mile splits! Consistent from beginning to end...).

Glad that you found a great plan to work with, managed to overcome your normal GI distress, and nailed nutrition following a lot of good advice.

Agree with Thor's sentiment about being proud that you learned a lot with this race, and in some ways went against your nature to race the race you did....

Woot!
Geo
#9 of 13 Old 05-01-2015, 05:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Awesomesauce!
Huge congrats, Yoshiko, on a marathon that was superbly executed! I am so glad that all of your diligent training (nailed it), patience (having to miss the Circular Logic marathon), willingness to adapt (signing up for Glass City, changing up your fueling strategy, bodywork), and embracing all that is the marathon paid off in a super solid race.
See you in Boston next year!

Cheryl (aka cake)
#10 of 13 Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
I KNEW this was going to be that kind of race for you!!! I have been so impressed with your training and dedication, especially over the long hard winter. Also impressed that you finally listened to the advice LOL. I love how you always ask and usually ignore but in this case you did perfect! You will have to continue working the hydration & nutrition into your training. Also, you usually have a lot of stomach issues in races and it didn't sound like you had that here?

Just a wonderful RR and so great to see someone work so hard and accomplish what they deserved!!!! Happy Dance~
#11 of 13 Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemboyle View Post
I love how you always ask and usually ignore but in this case you did perfect!
This hurts, Julie! Let's put it this way, I wasn't fully committed to follow the advice in the past, but this time it really made sense, clicked, and lead me to fully stick with it.
juliemboyle likes this.
#12 of 13 Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
Thanks all.

This hurts, Julie!
I hope you're not mad Just a pattern I have noticed on occasion
#13 of 13 Old 05-05-2015, 07:14 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member