• 1 Post By jkaiser20

#1 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Friday, Jan. 16 - WORKOUTS!

Good morning, TEAM LIT!

Julie: So excited for the PATS game!!!

Reg: I hear you on the oversized bike seats on gym bikes. I've been getting in short but intense sessions 2 to 3 times per week, and even though I'm only on for 20 to 25 min, my ass hurts more than it would had I been on a real bike with real road bike seat. I find myself nudging to the tip of the saddle in a two-fold way -- one to generate more power and two because it is more comfortable because there is less surface area.

Tamster: Great job on getting that run in. And keep at it, the lungs will condition for the cold. But you know all of that already. Nice job!

Yoshi: Camden (oldest, now 2 yrs young) is and has been sleeping through the night. But Maddie, the youngest, at almost 7 months is getting much, much better but still not sleeping through the night, and yes, it is killing us. Good news is that we must be right around the corner. The other good news is that we are finally able to get her down for bed at the same hour every night -- and the same hour we put Camden down -- so we get one to two hours to ourselves, which has been really awesome. But the lack of sleep is still festering. I require a lot of sleep, more so than the average person, probably because of my energy output levels, and Heather is mostly the same way, so it really has been hard. I never used to get sleepy during the day, but right now it's a daily occurrence.

As for your run, way to get that in. And hey, once you start revving the engine it is very hard to keep it constrained or even dial back, because your natural tendency is to gravitate back toward that more rapid breathing pattern. So if you tend to die at the end of those types of runs, make sure to keep the first two miles, perhaps even three, more constrained. And that doesn't mean run easy. It just means don't push as much. Saving that extra push doesn't slow the pace down nearly as much as you might think, mainly because you need to exert more and more energy to go yet faster.

Me...

4.5 mile easy run early this morning. Nearly done with the run, I slipped on black ice and nearly couldn't get up. It was my own fault. I'm typically good in icy conditions, knowing where to run and not turning hard so that my body weight is always underneath me. Not so this morning. I had a solid-footed run up until a quarter mile remaining when I got sloppy and turned onto my street as if it were summer. Boom. I went down hard. My left upper arm dislocated. I was in immense pain, lost my breath and thought I would throw up. But I collected myself, popped my arm back in, and knew to shake it off and get moving. I have always had a weakness in that arm which was caused by working out in the gym and lifting a heavier weight than I should have, and it was getting better... until this morning. That undid the past 4 years of strengthening it. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Just means that I will need to be extra careful on trails this weekend because a fall could dislocate in a bad way.

Great day, friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
Yoshiko - That was actually a very useful run for you yesterday. One of the things I really liked about when I was at the top of my running game was I could feel exactly when I was running below, at or above my red line. I knew that I could jump above the line for a short period of time then drop back down to recover. The only way you really develop that feel is by going over it sometimes and then figuring out how to recover from that. You'll get to the point where you don't even look at the watch when you run a marathon, you just constantly readjust based on what your body is telling you.

Thor - dayum friend, be careful! That hurt just reading it. Maybe its just because you push yourself, but you sure have a lot of interesting injury stories.

I waited to do my run yesterday in the afternoon, when it had warmed up and I could do it outside. It was an east-west loop, heading out I felt great and smooth. Miles were consistently in the 7:30 to 8 min range, I was thinking that my fitness was starting to come around. Then the route turned west and I realized I'd been running with a tailwind. The run back wasn't nearly as smooth, but I still managed to keep my average at 8 min miles. 12.4 miles total.

Today is a recovery day. I'll just do my minimum 1 mile run. Planning to go long tomorrow.

TGIF tri-peeps!

Mike
#3 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
Thor: Oww!! Be careful and take care of that.

Me: 60' at Masters in the predawn hours. Plan to get on the trainer after work. I can't wait for the Pats game.
Happy Friday to all!

#4 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149
Thor- DUDE! That made me wanna pass out and vomit just reading it. Be careful out there!!!
Yosh- I'd say that was an awesome run! Great job!
Julie- Your menu looks great. We go over to a friends house and watch the games. I've been making all kinds of things. I haven't decided on this weekend yet though.
Mike- Nice to see you back at it!
Reg- Those bike seats hurt!!! I much prefer my own saddle!

Today I'll head out for a run/walk again. I've realized that I have missed two things- running and being on my bike. Why can't I feel that way about the pool??? lol

Happy Friday and.... Go Hawks and Pats!!!
#5 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 136
Likes Given: 1
Thor ow ow ow
and darn now I can't complain! I planned to ride yesterday and had bike and swim gear in my car but various events intervened and it was rush hour in an area of town I'm not familiar with before I could get going. A friend who does live in that area offered a 6 mile brisk walk instead so I did that but my shoes are old and somehow I ended up with big blisters on the balls of my feet.

Today I must either ride or swim. I have another demo saddle (fizik Antares) that needs one more ride before I decide and is due back tomorrow. I'm not sure which will be better for the blisters. It seems all my swim partners are sick now we also have a measles issue and the one swimmer who isn't sick is tangled up with a contact/quarantine issue.

I look forward to these big football games because the streets are empty!

Have a great Friday!
#6 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 361
Likes Given: 3
Thor - hope your shoulder heals quickly. Be careful. I experienced the same kind fall a few years ago, upon turning to my street, bam, I slipped on the ice. Before you know it, Maddie will start sleeping like an angel for a long time. Thx for your input on my run!
Mike - A solid run! And thank you for your feedback on my run as well.
TT/ksurp - sounds like an exciting football weekend for you!
SB - for you too (about football game), for a totally different reason! You are funny!

6.3 easy miles. I wish I knew how to read my body. Funny.. I didn't even try - I just went out at comfortable pace. And ended up running exactly 8:45-50pace for the middle 4miles (first and last miles I deal with some snow). What a difference from the yesterday's run.

Have a great weekend! I have.... you guessed it... another wrestling tournament tomorrow!
#7 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 177
Dang - Thor. Hopefully you haven't undone too much! Gets much harder to knit everything back together as you get older - as I'm sure you probably know better than any of us (given your penchant - as Mike says - for interesting injury stories!). And I'm sure Maddie will come around soon, like Yoshi says. Unfortunately - in my limited experience - you may as well throw out all expectations for No. 2 based on your experiences with No. 1. Well worth it in the end though!

What have you tried for saddles so far, SB?

Myself - decided to push myself on a solo 5 miler. Went out way too fast (about 7:00 for the first mile into a headwind), but ended up with a respectable 7:30 pace overall - probably a bit faster taking out the 1/4 mile or so over snow-covered ground.

Also looking forward to the weekend's matchups. Intend to sit on my duff and watch both games from end-to-end, with the talking heads inbetween. Will, unfortunately, probably be rummaging in the fridge for leftovers - unless Julie or Tammy wants to send over a care package

Go Hawks and Pats (for the SB everyone wants except Mike ).

Geo.
Tri-Tammy likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Swapped my appt with an appt for DS instead when he woke up achy and feverish. Half of his class has been out with strep and/or actual influenza. Throat was clear and flu swab care back negative. Big sigh of relief. He had such a rough fall season that I think we have a bit of ptsd when he gets sick now.

PT exercises today and studying for my official duties for tomorrow's track meet. Very excited for the opportunity to officiate college athletes!
juliemboyle likes this.
#9 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 361
Likes Given: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiolanthe View Post
Dang

Myself - decided to push myself on a solo 5 miler. Went out way too fast (about 7:00 for the first mile into a headwind), but ended up with a respectable 7:30 pace overall - probably a bit faster taking out the 1/4 mile or so over snow-covered ground.
I am sure I am not the only who thinks you should fire up your running competitiveness and run some races to collect some cool medals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyGirl View Post
Swapped my appt with an appt for DS instead when he woke up achy and feverish. Half of his class has been out with strep and/or actual influenza. Throat was clear and flu swab care back negative. Big sigh of relief. He had such a rough fall season that I think we have a bit of ptsd when he gets sick now.

PT exercises today and studying for my official duties for tomorrow's track meet. Very excited for the opportunity to officiate college athletes!
Jeez, hope DS feels ok soon. Your household is going through some yucky months. I heard flu is pretty bad this year. Glad he didn't have one. Tell us about 'officiating college athletes'! Sounds exciting. MSU?
#10 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
GEO: Impressive running. I agree with Yoshi...........put a race on the calendar!
TT: Yippee on the good run!
Thor: OMG ouchie. Take care of yourself! Sleeping thru the night must be right around the corner.
Sparty: So hard when the little ones are sick (for them and you!) healing vibes your way.
Yoshi: You are a good Mama
Me: Just got back from a 4.5 mile run walk with Cari and Stacie. They were so sweet to do the run/walk with me, even though they would have been much faster without me. #loverunningbuddies

Go PATS & Seahawks!
Tri-Tammy likes this.
#11 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
Thor, OUCH. Take care of yourself, please.

Mike, that's the exact thing I find most interesting about TrainerRoad - right now my base building program has lots of time just under FTP, and it's really helped me understand the massive difference between "just under" and "just over".

Speaking of, said base building program is still on hold. Going to try for a very easy workout this weekend and see where I am. It's been all of my energy for the day to get through a day at work.

More and different surgery coming up in late February, so I need to finish bouncing back from this and get a pretty intensely focused month in.
cak73 likes this.
#12 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Hello!

Ow, Thor.
Sparty...fingers crossed for absence of illnesses!
Could care less about football...might be a good night to go out to a movie.

MQ...your basement looks awesome! If you've got your garmin vectors on your bike while using TrainerRoad, you may want to check out this SlowTwitch thread about controlling the kickr using an external powermeter
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Sl...sible_P5396505

Haven't been up to much of anything, BUT I had only one coughing fit after I tried to go to bed last night, so progress! Thought about going to masters swim this morning, but just didn't want to badly enough and opted for more sleep.

Tammy, your FB post the other day, "It's not about where I was; it's about where I'm going!" I really needed to hear that. Thanks!

Tue: trainer ride 30 min (TR "twin peaks tc")
Wed: treadmill run while watching Phyllis Diller on The Muppet Show, 2.25 miles, 25:30
Thu: trainer ride 30 min (TR "charybdis tc")
Muffin Queen likes this.

Cheryl (aka cake)
#13 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Nothing for me. I'm Grumpy McGrumpypants today.

Keep healing peeps and loved one peeps.
Keep the rubber side of shoes down.
Hug often love muchly.

Geo: For the love of all that is running give yourself some credit on the run thing! You'd rock in a race setting.

Cak! Thanks for the link. Will ship to hubster a.k.a. my tech guy.
SpartyGirl and cak73 like this.
#14 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Yoshiko - Nope, the 'other' school.
#15 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
Good grief, all kinds of stuff going. Thor, you're an idiot, stay on your feet. Reg, you run too fast. Sparty, the other school? No longer speaking to you. Alaska, to answer a question from another thread, yes dbq bound. I cant remember anything else.

I hit the roads for 3.5 miles or so. Have a friend who started work at Garmin not long ago and sent some fancy watch for Christmas. Ran with it and the hr monitor today. I sort of gave up data a bunch of years ago, but plan to just let it log for awhile just for fun.
juliemboyle likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page