• 1 Post By Muffin Queen
  • 2 Post By Swimmerbee

#1 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Wednesday, Jan. 7 - WORKOUTS!

Good morning, TEAM LIT!

A Mike: NICE to have you back. And hey, have fun with the mile a day streak. It's fun. I swear. You'll have a few times early on when it's hard to get out. But after a few months it'll just become what you do -- like brushing your teeth in the morning. I wake up extra early so that I have my time before everyone wakes up and I have to fall back into daddy duty.

Julie: re: TM & knees. If it works, and if your motivated, you go girl! Love your consistency. If you step back to assess yourself in the span of years, you've actually been very consistent. Rock on, girl!

Bannon: Nice to have you back! Please stay.

Muffie: Nice, nice day for you yesterday! I should convince Heather to join you at FitRev. She likes Michelle, and she's done some classes there, so it might be an easy sell.

Yoshi: Nice run!

Sparty: Father's Day is set aside!!! Think I missed it, and sorry if I did, but give me deets. When, where in Boston, and for how long?

Me...

4.5 mile easy run early this very, very cold morning (10F). Funny thing that with my weekend tummy bug and all the time I spent laying down, my lower back got a twitch, and then yesterday my boy went into his terrible-two phase where I had to carry him, and that twitch turned into something far more as I held him for almost a half hour. Had trouble sleeping last night, so any quality I wanted this morning was out the window because my back just couldn't handle it. I have chronic lower back issues that I mostly dealt with by strengthening my core -- so the episodes of those twitches have been reduced to just times like when I'm laying in bed for 24 of 26 hours. Still comes around now and then. Should be gone in a day or two.

Great day, friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Thor: Please tell Heather to join me. We are still on the 10 class special we got on groupon but are thinking seriously about becoming monthly members. I still hate spinning but the strength classes are what is keeping me going.

Nothing yet for me today. Slept in and will hit the stationary bike at the gym for lunch.

Opted out of swim last night. When I got there I was late due to work and traffic, then the showers were going to be cold and the pool was packed. It was a level of crazy I just did not want to deal with yesterday. I went home and ate soup with hubster. Soup was the better choice.
juliemboyle likes this.
#3 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149
MQ- I love that... "it was a level of crazy I just did not want to deal with..." I gotta remember that... especially at work. lol

Mike- I did a mile a day streak one year between Thanksgiving and New Years. I actually really liked it and had fun as every night was a Christmas light run. Have fun!

Going on another walk today. This time I'm taking Rex to the store for treats!

#4 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
PT this morning where DD entertained the other patients while I was practicing all sorts of balance work. I would like to do a walk on the TM tonight too. It is downright frigid outside today (again), but the sun is shining and the snow makes everything looks pretty. Thankful that the roads are in good condition, unlike near my parents' house where they are experiencing blizzard conditions...

Thor - I'll email you.

Stay safe and warm, friends!
#5 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 354
Likes Given: 3
Thor - back is such an important part of what we do. Take care! Have you rolled yourself on your back over lacross ball lately?
TT - sounds like you are enjoying walking! I bet it is not like here, 10F!
MQ - Indeed you made a better choice!
Sparty - I am impressed you little guy walks to school in this frigd temp.

No running Wednesday! I chose a good week as a rest week - boy, it's cold outside. I am already stressed out where/how I am going to run 9miles tomorrow with 7miles at a certain pace....looks like DM is the only option...
1hr massage - holly cow, my hammy was tight, tight. Glad that he was able to spend 1hr on me, instead of the original appo of 30min. Really like this guy, who knows a lot and willing to share. Funny thing is we speak mix of Japanese and English. All muscle names/medical terms are in English.
Wrestling meet after work. DS is back in Versity!
#6 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 172
Easy 4.5 mile social run with co-worker (outside) - about 9:15 pace.

Tammy - Only conscious experience riding on ice was just before I quit for the season in 2013 (two instant falls in about 20 feet ... I walked the bike and hung it up for the year at that point!). Road tires and ice definitely don't mix. I've been a bit apprehensive about hitting black ice on some mornings (know at least one cyclist who took a nasty black ice spill on a group ride) - but was lucky this past year that it wasn't really an issue. I suspect - given that true cold finally has set in - that the first good snowfall will prevent me from riding until roads clear again. Might be a different story if I had a true commuter bike with wider tires/mud flaps...

Geo.
#7 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiolanthe View Post
Easy 4.5 mile social run with co-worker (outside) - about 9:15 pace.

Might be a different story if I had a true commuter bike with wider tires/mud flaps...

Geo.
It's totally ok to give yourself a late Christmas present!
SpartyGirl likes this.
#8 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 136
Likes Given: 1
I had planned to move my usual Tuesday DOR to Wednesday but now Thursday is looking grim so I am trying to find a place to squeeze in a workout. In the meantime I'll do some neighborhood walking while I take my am teleconference.

Alaska Mile-Yes CI is with the tide even the tankers wait for the tide. The trick is figuring out where it will put us and endless debate about splitting the tide vs going 1 way but I find tides propagate strangely in this area (the table says the tide turned at 2 but the tidal current may not change til 2:45 unless the wind is blowing etc).

Geo-I used to have a mtn bike I made spiked tires for driving small nails though an old tire and using a heavy liner under it, a million years ago when I lived in the Midwest! OTOH an off season for other sports is a good thing too!
#9 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
I did get in stationary bike at the gym at lunch for 45 min. Next time I'll wake up. I'm pretty sure the set up on those things is what is causing me hip stress versus my own bike on the trainer that is fabulous and comfy. Lots of learning for me this year.

Yoshi: I'm using my friend Lisa as a coach. She is a USAT certified coach and a nutritionist and was a nurse in her prior life. Her philosophy and approach are what I need at this stage of athletics for me. No real plan yet but she is pulling together a few guidelines until I need to start my real IMMD plan this year. I'm feeling good about this approach. This is my year of 'why not me' When I start to think I can't do something I'm going to try to insert that mantra in my head to chase away the negative thoughts. There really is no reason why it can't be me doing these things that I want to do, the way I want to do them. I've defied expectations before that others put on me. It is about time I start defying my own low expectations for myself and taking a chance.

Why not you peeps!
SpartyGirl likes this.
#10 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
This is my year of 'why not me' When I start to think I can't do something I'm going to try to insert that mantra in my head to chase away the negative thoughts. There really is no reason why it can't be me doing these things that I want to do, the way I want to do them. I've defied expectations before that others put on me. It is about time I start defying my own low expectations for myself and taking a chance.

Why not you peeps!
You go girl!!!!!!
#11 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Special Member

X3 triometrics, 1 hour hill walking TM workout that had me dripping in sweat!
#12 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Special Member

Love that mantra! You go MQ!!!!
#13 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Looking forward to following you during your "Why Not Me" journey, MQ!

Made it to the pool this morning. Shortened the last set a bit and ended up with 2700y. Felt pretty much ok even though a bit of a cough lingers. Still hitting the neti pot and my supplements arsenal.

600 as 75 free, 25 no free
300 as 75 drill, 25 kick

9x100 on 10 sec rest* as the following
1- 100 free
2- 75 free, 25 fly
3- 50 free, 25 fly, 25 back
4- 25 free, 25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast
5- 25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 back
6- 25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free
7- 25 fly, 25 back, 50 free
8- 25 fly, 75 free
9- 100 free

(*total luxury! coach had up 1:55 but told her how I had been feeling and requested 5 sec rest...she put up 10 yay!)

3x through the following (was supposed to be 5x)
125 free on 2:15, smooth
25 free on :30, odd ez, even fast
150 free on 2:45, descend

Cheryl (aka cake)
#14 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
MQ - I got all teary eyed reading your last post. LOVE IT!
#15 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Special Member

I got a ride in rather late as my schedule moved around again I realized I could go NOW. Except I couldn't find a water bottle that wasn't leaking or cracked
Then I was summoned by my employee who is responsible for security he was worried about a "scary package with suspect labeling" at the front door. I explained it was not suspicious and tore it open to find..water bottles amongst other things which I'll cover in the secret Santa thread. Thank you SS! I took a bottle for a ride of 20 miles during which I explored a new route and adjusted the demo saddle I'm checking out. Still unsure about the saddle (Fizik Vesta) but the bottle and the ride were both great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150107_151603[1].jpg (265.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20150107_181507[1].jpg (163.0 KB, 3 views)
juliemboyle and Muffin Queen like this.
#16 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
Late posting because, well, my workout took place late.

Thor - Thanks, and thanks for the encouragement.
MQ - Great attitude!
SB - Wow, I'd be hesitant about kayaking in that area, let alone swimming! And loved your SS story!

Did the usual lunge warm-up routine then 8 miles on the treadmill. Finished up with my core exercises and mrytle routine. I think the 'extra' work is really helping keep away the strains and pains that have challenged my running the past few months.

Sleep well, tri-peeps!
Mike
#17 of 18 Old 01-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Special Member

AM you are on west coast time I guess!
I hope I'm not the only one who got a laugh out of the "scary box" from my SS!
For Cook Inlet everyone except my sponsor is a bit concerned, I plan to go out a month in advance on the same tide to look at those standing rips. I switched form solo to relay due to my concern about them and we'll have both drift boats and RHIBs with us. Should be an Adventure! I crossed Katchemak Bay on one of the bigger summer tides to get a feel for it. I've talked to lots of fishermen and a few kayakers who know the area but I'm always looking for more people who know more.
#18 of 18 Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerbee View Post
AM you are on west coast time I guess!
I hope I'm not the only one who got a laugh out of the "scary box" from my SS!
For Cook Inlet everyone except my sponsor is a bit concerned, I plan to go out a month in advance on the same tide to look at those standing rips. I switched form solo to relay due to my concern about them and we'll have both drift boats and RHIBs with us. Should be an Adventure! I crossed Katchemak Bay on one of the bigger summer tides to get a feel for it. I've talked to lots of fishermen and a few kayakers who know the area but I'm always looking for more people who know more.
First we had Thor nutz, then GEO nutz and now SB. You are crazy nutz too!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page