3Likes
  • 2 Post By cak73
  • 1 Post By juliemboyle

#1 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 07:10 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Tuesday, Dec. 23 - WORKOUTS!

December 23rd?! December 23rd! Christmas just TWO days away!

Been thinking of TASM a lot over the last few days. Really sad. Cannot believe all that went down.

Lots of rain here in the Boston area...

7+ mile run early this morning with two others doing our typical Tuesday run. I added distance to get up over 7 miles and run for about an hour. More than I have been doing, and although it's still not feeling like days of yonder, it is feeling better than it had been. Just trying to get in some "safe" (easy, short but longer than I had been getting) miles to better prepare the body for New Years.

Great day, friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
I'm thinking that, going forward, I'm gonna send "New Year's Gifts" instead of aiming to get things to folks by December 25.

Had a fantastic trip to MI over last weekend to visit with my brother and his family. I saw my folks, too, but the trip was focused on spending some time with my nephew, Lucas. He'll be 7mo on Dec 26! (see attached selfie)

Watching our friends' two dogs through Saturday and that's been a lot of fun.

Ksurp...you are going to love your trip to Uganda! I went to Tanzania for 3 weeks in 2006 and it was the trip of a lifetime. Really fell in love with Africa.

MQ...::waving hello::

Robin Williams films...don't forget some of his darker rolls...One Hour Photo, The Final Cut, World's Greatest Dad (still need to see this one)

Unbroken...picked it up at the airport and read it during my trip to MI over the weekend. A very good read.

Been running a bit, swimming a bit, and on the trainer a bit. Had another awesome brick on Saturday (2 hour group trainer ride and a 2.65 mile super hilly run). Aiming to get on the trainer later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LucasSelfie-Dec2014.jpg (129.8 KB, 5 views)
Muffin Queen and regiolanthe like this.

Cheryl (aka cake)
#3 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 362
Likes Given: 3
Totally missing TASM. She always brightened up the the threads here.

Cak - what a cutie! You visited MI during a period of decent weather!

6miles including 4x1200m speed work. Hope nobody at DS's school saw me climbing over the fence to the track and huffin and puffin! The target pace was 8min/m but ended up getting a good rhythm at 7:25-ish pace so went with it. I wasn't slowing down at each lap so decided to maintain. Felt strong. Still not sure where that comes from each Tuesday when I hit the harder pace. Something is working. Back doesn't get as tight as when I run at 9:30-10 pace. Go figure.

More Wrapping to do!

#4 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 223
Likes Given: 177
Ellipticated vigorously. Couldn't avoid the rain on the way home yesterday - didn't feel like running in it today. Just kind of wiped, and waiting for the long break.

Yes - Barb did brighten up the day, very naturally. Some people (looking at you, Thor!) just naturally know how to share their joy of life ... Barb was definitely one of them. I admire those people to no end - even though I don't think I'll ever be part of the club! Speaking of, Thor - did you ever have a memoriam run gathering? Don't think I'll be making your New Years' day one, but yes - would still like to get together as a group. Must try to make it happen....

Probably signing off for the week (unless we magically get our Internet and phone line restored during the holiday season ... It'll be 4 FREAKING WEEKS as of tomorrow...grrrrrrr to Fairpoint). So - have a wonderful holiday season one and all.

George.
#5 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Special Member

Geo - whaaaaat?!?! You didn't have an internet/phone access all these time?!?! I didn't know the damage from the storm was that extensive. Well, what do you say, make lemonade out of lemon (or something - I like old saying/proverbs). Enjoy old style entertainment over the holidays!
#6 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 223
Likes Given: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
Geo - whaaaaat?!?! You didn't have an internet/phone access all these time?!?! I didn't know the damage from the storm was that extensive. Well, what do you say, make lemonade out of lemon (or something - I like old saying/proverbs). Enjoy old style entertainment over the holidays!

An ice/heavy snow mix took out down the power and phone line from our house the Wednesday before Thanksgiving ... Power was back the Saturday after T-giving; phone line is still down. Unfortunately, our landline provider is an outfit from North Carolina (Fairpoint) that took over Verizon's landlines in New England. We never had cable, so have no competitor to switch to. To be fair, we haven't had any problems in 5-10 years until now ... but at the moment, the Fairpoint union workers are on strike - so they're trying to plug a significant hole with contractors. The company really did bite off more than they could chew when they bought Verizon's infrastructure (and they've had various growing pains and significant losses ever since the purchase!).

The rest of the family have all had smartphones for a year or two; figured I didn't really need/want one... But it really is a pain not having the Internet at home (without relying on a wireless play and not being able to use it on the computer).

Giving "Settlers of Catan" to DS for an Xmas present. Hopefully we'll all have fun learning how to play that! It seems to have good reviews...
#7 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak73 View Post
Ksurp...you are going to love your trip to Uganda! I went to Tanzania for 3 weeks in 2006 and it was the trip of a lifetime. Really fell in love with Africa.
This what everyone who has traveled to East Africa has told me. I am now totally preoccupied by finding out as much as I can about the people and country.

60' masters swim this am with the 12 Days of Christmas workout. Then survived the grocery store and getting my hair cut.

My outseason EN training plan has imploded so I asked my coach for a reboot of my season plan. Will restart the outseason plan on Jan 5th. With no IM this year, there is less urgency on my part. I do need to get something going if I'm going to survive the Quassy Oly in early June.
#8 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Ksurp: where is quassy?
Cak: You looked like a proud Auntie in the photos

Everyone: Wishing everyone joy and happiness now and in the next year. I have had a great year and am very blessed in many ways. Life for sure isn't perfect but perfection is boring anyway!

XO LIT!
Muffin Queen likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 12-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
A crisp 3.5 miles with a coworker after work in a cold drizzle. Tried to get out of it, but the trail kept calling.

I was thinking about TASM while skimming through a couple daily threads before Thor brought her up.
#10 of 12 Old 12-24-2014, 01:57 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 0
1400 yard swim, hoping to make it more of a habit in the new year.

Yes, 2 more days, well, 1 now since it's the 24th as I type. Up too early, mind turning over all our travel plans. Heading to SC to visit family Christmas Day.

Been thinking of TASM too and others that have died too young recently; our tenant at the condo, car accident and not even 30; and my SIL's sister's husband, mesothelioma, another awful cancer. Counting my blessings, trying to enjoy the moments.

Happy holidays all!
#11 of 12 Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Special Member

Good morning Team!!

Beth - indeed

Made to another non-running day in one piece. Last week was 44miles I think. Coughing for the last few days and feeling a bit warm. Swam 1100m just not to forget how to swim. Will do some hip exercises. And head out to Cleveland for Xmas day get together with DH's family.

Safe travel to all!
#12 of 12 Old 12-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Class in a.m. with hubster then prepping for the 24th all day and into the wee hours of the night.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page