RR Des Moines Marathon - KickRunners.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkaiser20

#1 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
RR Des Moines Marathon

OK, since I was being bullied, here is a RR.

Des Moines IMT Marathon. I did this race last year and had a good race, coming in arund 3:26, a bunch of minute PR. It is close, Des Moines is a cool city, so I signed up again this year.

Training. As noted elsewhere, I had a couple glitches in my training about five weeks out. I missed an entire week, and my last long run. However, I hit some decent workouts late,, and after clammering over my simple logs, I decided I was ready enough. There are 3:30 and 3:25 pace groups, so I working during the last week to figure out which group to go with and just hang on. My floor is 3:30, that is, I have no plan to go slower than that.

Pre-race. Weather was great. Maybe 42 out in the morning. I fretted over what to wear, but ended up with a form fitting short sleeve,, then a performance short sleeve race shirt, my LIT visor, shorts, shoes of course, and thin cotton gloves. Did a light warm-up and worked a bit on my hamstrings and hips, which have annoyed me lately. Wandered down about a half-hour prior to start to find my spot in the start area. The wife did her normal super support things and found a good spot to watch the start, then would dash to the half-way point where she would sneak in a run before seeing be lumber by.

I sized up the two pace groups, and there seemed to be a better crew hovering aroud the 3:25 guy, so I figured why not.

Race. There is a half and full starting at the same time, with the routes splitting at the 2.5 mile point. So it is fairly crowded to start. We went out pretty easy, and I just tried to settle in and stay relaxed.

First three miles are flat, followed by five or so miles of moderate hills, then some easy rolling to 15 miles, then down for 2, then basically flat flat flat the rest of the way home.

At about the four mile point my hamstrings were both feeling pretty tight, so I really focused on taking on fluids early. I also adjusted my stride a bit to try and take some strain off.

Went though 10k on pace, went through the half on pace in 1:41:42, though I had that moment of "holy ****, that is only half of it, I am tired" at about 14. The weather was getting nicely warm, creeping into the low 60's by this point, and a little windy.

We dropped down to the flats for a lap around a big open area that culminates at the 20 mile point. I started losing the group as we approached the 19 mile point, and was about a minute behind at 20.

About this time I noticed I really had a sore foot, and was getting a little close to the wall. That's a problem. I put more focus on drinking, grabbed some bananas and worked to keep things in control. Did some race math and determined 8:15s or so would still let me come in sub 3:30, so I just relaxed and kept it going.

Redoing my math every mile (accounting for that .2 at the end strained my brain) kept me confident that I was going stay sub 3:30 without much problem. I passed a few, and got passed by a few. Every time some passed my, I latched on and used them for as long as I could.

Last couple turns, I just kept trudging, wondering what my foot was going to look like at the end, and broke the tape in 3:29:20 or so. Not bad, I'll take it.

Post race. There is a large spread of food, but I really didn't feel like walking to get it, so I took on some water and Gatorade, linked up with the wife, then headed to the hotel room. Got there just in time to see the Green Bay Packer game kick-off. Watched a couple series, hit the shower, another series, then we headed out. In between I pondered how in the world a blister the size of a bike bottle lid under and on the side of my big toe did not tear. Seems like the altering of my stride to decrease hamstring pressure was enough to annoy my shoe. I also had not practiced good callous maintenance on the side of my toe over the last couple months. And I ran a rain soaked 8 miler 6 days prior.

Post Post race. One hamstring and one quad are tore up. Drained the blister and it is in good shape. Two miles after a day off were rough, but four miler tonight was pretty good.

Post Post Post race. Not sure if going out with the 3:30 group would have allowed me to finish stronger and shave off a minute or not. I plodded a bit in the last few miles, and might have ended up there regardless. I am pleased with the result considering where I was with my training. I want to go significantly faster next time, and know I have to make a couple profound changes to me training plan.

OK, thats it. Oh, nutrition: 2 peanut butter sandwiches 1.5 hours before the start. And maybe 25 ounces of Powerade. That is pretty standard for me. Then I ate some sport beans during the race, drank water and Gatorade every two miles (every mile for the last couple), and had a couple banana chunks.

-Jim
cak73 likes this.

Last edited by jkaiser20; 10-23-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Considering the training, hamstrings and blisters, that is a great outcome!!!! Congrats on another Marathon completed. I've never done one and really admire you marathoners!

ps..........Math during a race is not pretty! LOL
#3 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Cyberbullying for the RR win...or something...

Nice work out there. It's always so crazy to me how just the slightest change in stride can cause such trouble; glad to hear you are recovering well. I'm also so darn impressed with you guys (all of you) that are so keyed in on pace and what you're body is capable of (do I go 3:25 or 3:30). I can tell you when I run my next marathon (I'm not admitting to anything) that regardless of training paces there is no way I could predict my finish time within 5 minutes. More like an hour...

#4 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Great outcome indeed. Nice run, man. And from what you describe, I think you would have wound up in the same situation had you gone out a bit slower, like with the 3:30 group. Think about it though... you were only a few minutes off of your PR.
#5 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Nice work and way to hang in there for the sub-3:30!
Curious about this "good callous maintenance."

Cheryl (aka cake)
#6 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 0
Way to go! Can't believe that blister, glad it didn't slow you down. Yes, I also want to know callous maintenance, because I see problems brewing on my feet. Congratulations on a solid race. Thanks for sharing!
#7 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Re: Calluses. I tend to get a "worthless" callus sort of on the side of my big toe, a little biased to the bottom. It tends to create a problem if it gets too big, as it puts pressure from the side. So it is different from a callus that actually serves to toughen up areas. There are a couple decent sentences here:

http://www.ultrunr.com/footcare.html

(search for callus and see Rob Grant and Kevin Sayers comments. I have been using that site for a long time as a resource)

So I clip, sand, and tear at them on both feet every now and then. Normally I notice it after a long run.

@Thor: Yeah, I have told folks that even going out slower would have netted me maybe a minute, no more.
#8 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaiser20 View Post
@Thor: Yeah, I have told folks that even going out slower would have netted me maybe a minute, no more.
Many times it can net you more, but based on your fitness and your self assessment, I bet with your current goods (fitness) your thinking here is legit.
#9 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 358
Likes Given: 3
Congrats on the solid outcome considering the training hiccup and all other pains. 0.2 mile at the end always makes a math challenging as you struggle mentally toward the end of marathon. Who came up with the 26.2, or worse 43.195km..... I distinctively remember how I felt as I passed the half way mark at each marathon, 'wow, that was quick', or 'OMG it's only half way'... Not sure, though, how that lead to the final result. I would have to make a chart.
Another try in Spring? Let's hope this winter is rather friend to us.
#10 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Way to go! Sounds like you went into this with a good mindset and executed as you thought. Lot to be said for knowing who you are I think. Overall, a great and impressive result and a hearty and heartfelt congratulations to you!
#11 of 11 Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
Nice job gutting it out for the sub 3:30. That blister sound nasty. Glad the training glitches didn't hamper you too much. This sounds like a fun course, and close enough that I may have to put it on my calendar sometime in the future. Maybe I'll see you there eventually.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page