Thursday, Sept 25 - Workouts! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
Thursday, Sept 25 - Workouts!

Mike - it's good to get that kind of feedback via the HR monitor. It's a useful tool, but I've moved to the point where I really train and race using PE, but it's good to check it every so often.

Yoshiko - good job with the cross training. That's something we all could use, especially me. Just don't expect to see me in a ballet class anytime soon.

Geo - good consistency, especially with all the turmoil you're experiencing right now.

Bradley - looking forward to seeing you on the starting line in Hopkinton and (hopefully) at MJ O'Connor's after the race!

Another easy recovery day for me. Met Tim and Rick and headed out Western Ave for our normal out and back route. Rick took off right after the turn around for 3 miles at 6:30 pace. Tim and I kept it steady at 7:30 for the entire 8 miles since we both race the marathon on Sunday.

Have a great day, tri-peeps!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
AMike- I hear you. I try to use it as a guide, but in certain situations, I go by PE and I want to know if what I think I'm feeling is true. For the longer races I need to use the HR monitor more so I don't go too fast in the beginning, but I still want to rely on "feel" too.

1 mile run and a perfectly paced 4100yd swim this morning of 300 warm up pull, 3500 straight (hitting the lap button every 700), 300 cool down pull. Splits were as follows:

4:40.40 - 300 warm up pull,
54:13.60 - 3500 straight(10:56.3, 10:53.3, 10:54.7, 10:47.1, 10:42.2),
4:53.20 - 300 cool down pull,
1:03:47.20 - total.

Have a great day!
#3 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Busy so right to it...

4.25 mile run early this morning.

#4 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
X: Consistency is king and I have no doubt who will be king at IMFL Good for you!
AMike: Wow 2 thread starts in a row. Sailing must be over. Ha Ha
Geo: healing thoughts DD's way. Sounds like this though could be the answer vs the compartment syndrome surgery she already had. No wildlife?
Yoshi: Love to see you enjoying the single track so much. Such bravery I do not have to try mtn biking.

5.3 mile run with the peeps this a.m. Followed by 75 minutes on the trainer before I logged into the office after my commute up the stairs. A dust bunny threatened to throw a wrench into the commute but I kept pace.
#5 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 12:02 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Busy so right to it...
Ya know, you don't have to include this on every post during a busy week. We trust you'll be back when life lightens up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
AMike: Wow 2 thread starts in a row. Sailing must be over. Ha Ha
Three. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Not that I'm bragging or anything.

Mike
#6 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 224
Likes Given: 181
The usual for me. Yes - I try to be consistent, but I have to say it's hard some days Much more difficult to get enthusiastic about a cold and dark morning commute, but then you see the fog rising over the bay - and appreciate how much nicer it is to roll slowly past such a view than zip by in a car. About 17 mph in, probably slower back.

My body's definitely overtired (I'll have ridden 600 miles in a two-week span ... not at TDF speeds, but still). I'll be definitely ready to retire the bike for the winter when the snow begins to fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
Geo: healing thoughts DD's way. Sounds like this though could be the answer vs the compartment syndrome surgery she already had. No wildlife?

Hope so .. I'll be happy when/if she gets to enjoy swimming again. Even without the swimming, I suspect this operation was necessary to avoid complications down the line ... All healing thoughts welcome. When she came home last night, we just brought up an old bed from the basement and set it up in the living room. I don't think she'll be tackling stairs for a couple of days! Wildlife is mostly turkeys - although I neglected to say that DW saw a black bear in the yard a couple of weeks ago.

Oh - and if anyone's interested, group ride will visit the Nubble light in York this Saturday AM (60 mile ride from Durham). Departure time pushed back to 7 AM due to early dark
#7 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 364
Likes Given: 3
X - Ok, now I know how you keep track of the # of laps, but how do you stay mentally sane, so many straight swim? You have some serious discipline. Good for you
MQ - thx, riding singletrack never gets boring. We have many great trails within 40min of driving.
Geo - good to hear she is back home and camping out in the middle of everything. Black bear, yikes.

Last night I enjoyed two hours of singletrack, chick-ing about 5 men. Of course those are usually older, or younger men with no cool jersey. I got passed by a few guys with cool jersey and prob of my age. I was pretty tired from the get go. Here gives you a good picture - first lap ave HR 142 - which is decent considering there are a few areas of very tight twisty turns (can't get any speed) and no major climbs in this course. The second lap ave HR 128. I was just dead tired and couldn't get the legs going.

Today was an early morning day (kids left 6:20 yikes. Homecoming week, DD is a member of student council, busy with the decoration, etc plus she has is chamber chiore practice). 2000m. Focused on techniques, because I knew I just wouldn't be able to push myself to keep any intervals.
Easy run later planned. Achilles is a bit sore, so will see.
#8 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 139
Likes Given: 1
I was awol for a bit on a business trip last week. and here's the tale of the workouts portion of the week. I walked every day several miles after dark and short walks in the very HOT daytime (several times people stopped to try to figure out why I was out, was I lost, no one walks here in the day).
From there I made my way to the southern sierras. I had planned to go north to June Lake but the fire there closed the hotel. The smoke was hanging very heavily over the mountains and valley Thursday afternoon and Friday and making us cough and choke from a fire over 50 miles away. As I drove north it became so dense I couldn't see across the highway. This is the smoke that ended IM Tahoe which was significantly closer to the source of it (the fires). I will pause here to say although many dreams were crushed by that decision the density of the smoke and the many poisons and carcinogens in it would have made it very dangerous both short and long term and I admire the organizers who were able to make the call to protect everyone against the desire to just go and it will "probably" be ok.

Back to me, it was so late on Friday that I actually got away that it was not possible for me to drive home (many hours south) so I decided to go to the hotel I had reserved then check out in the am because there was no way I could hike in that smoke.
I woke up in the am to a strong wind and no smoke (I think it all blew into Tahoe) so I hiked @ 10 miles, 3000 foot gain and loss but starting from nearly 9,000 feet. For someone living at sea level who hasn't been walking more than 3-4 miles at a time this was quite a shock to the system. It did prove my pt is paying off.
For some reason my calves and glutes both cramped badly this hasn't happened to me before and I wonder if it has to do with starting up training on the tri bike (working those areas vs the front of the leg muscles). Finished up as a spectacular thunder storm blew in and overnight there was some snow. Sunday was an easy walk in the hills and a swim in the owens river followed by the long drive home. That doesn't bring us to this week but its a start My calves remained tight and sore for another 3 days and I continue to wonder if its training on a tri vs road bike since usually it would be quads that burned through this sort of fun.
#9 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
X - Ok, now I know how you keep track of the # of laps, but how do you stay mentally sane, so many straight swim?
I never claimed I was sane. Honestly, breaking it up like that helps keep the distance from seeming so bad. I just think 400/500/etc yards to go to the end of this section. I only do 1 straight swim a week, my other 2 are a lot of intervals. I've only got 2 more extremely long swims left before I start tapering. 1 is going to hurt a little since it's a TT of 4225yds (2.4 miles).
#10 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
Ya know, you don't have to include this on every post during a busy week. We trust you'll be back when life lightens up.

Three. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Not that I'm bragging or anything.

Mike
Brag away Mike, brag away.
#11 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 3
A double for me today. Did 7.5 easy at lunch, and then some intervals tonight. Our workout was 9x1000, with a 200m jog. I was around 4:00/km, but my legs were heavy. Workout total was almost 13K.
#12 of 12 Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
This introduction is a comment more reflective of my feelings than anything else. I hate blindy posting without talking with everyone. So it's my way of saying sorry, posting, and being out. Makes me feel better about the quick drop in. I'll write a bit more in the Friday thread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page