• 4 Post By Tri-Tammy
  • 2 Post By Muffin Queen

#1 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Thursday, Aug. 28 - WORKOUTS!

Good morning, TEAM LIT!

Where has the summer gone? Wow. Already Labor Day weekend...

Alaska Mike: You're still welcome to join us for the Grand Canyon R2R2R. October 11th is the date with the 12th as fall back in case of odd weather. We are flying in and out of Vegas (in Thurs, out Monday on red eye). You can crash in our hotel/motels in Vegas, GC, and again in Vegas. We're all splitting costs. Will be 3 guys in Vegas, 5 at GC, and three back to Vegas.

TASM: And we're psyched for your trip out!

Me...

4 mile run early this morning. Legs tired from hills yesterday, the double, and Iron Strength the day before. Another IS day today and then rest through the weekend. Getting those quads and muscles ready for 6 mile descents of the Grand Canyon. Next week will start TM incline workouts. Final month of training!

Great day, gang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
1 mile run and a 3800yd swim this morning. Swim was 400 warm up, 3000 straight, 400 cool down. Fairly consistent on the 3000, but I did slow a little by the end. I made a conscious effort to not push the pace, even though I realized I was slowing. Goal was just a long easy swim and I accomplished that. Time for the 3000 was 46:55, so still under the time I thought I would get.

Have a great day!!
Muffin Queen and ksurp like this.
#3 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 223
Likes Given: 177
Yup - hard to believe it's the end of the summer. Figures the last week is about the ONLY perfect summer week we've had in New England so far this year!

The usual for me ... a solid mid-19's coming in (yay). Caught a woman going up a hill in the last couple of miles, who proceeded to settle behind me for the next mile or so and keep up easily ... Thank god I turned off at a stop sign before the ignonimy of being chicked (kidding ... several kick-ass women do the group ride).

Going to be a solid week - as it looks like I'll be riding in every day, and probably on Saturday as well. Guessing it'll be close to 300 miles...

Great day all!

#4 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Track workout for me today with Kitty pacing me. That Kitty is the picture of awesome! Splits for me were:
10 min warm up
4:10
4:12
4:11
4:13
4:14
4:15
Cool down 800 at 4:40 Total about 6 miles I believe.
The overall goal pace was 4:45 but I was trying out the 4:15 as the coach and I discussed and I nailed it I think on average. I feel that I could have done the 10th at 4:15ish pace too even with the awful manure smell that would sometimes assault our noses. Goal for Chicago is 4:45. I feel more confident that I can get there.

Hubster saw LRR and GG DS2 who was there for soccer as we were leaving. He is an excellent human being like DS1 and so reflective of both LRR and GG.

AMike: Like Cak I'm looking to avoid hair on my chest. my upper lip is another thing altogether though since, you know, I am Italian. lol Chicago LIT meet up for sure with Ronbo and maybe X??
X: Killing it in the swim. Will be so exciting to follow you for IMFL. I also have a friend racing IMFL this year, Bryan Lyons, who is taking over for Dick Hoyt at the Boston Marathon going forward. Should try to hook you guys up if interested. He's a great guy.
1Top: Great race! Enjoy the down time and the rest.

Guess I have to get back to work now. Great day peeps!
Gator Girl likes this.
#5 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
You guys kill me with the end of summer talk! When I moved from Alaska to downtown Chicago, I was dumbfounded that after Labor Day the lakefront emptied out. It was still 80 degrees! There is still loads of running, biking and swimming (and sailing!) to do before the fall weather arrives.

Thor - I would absolutely kill to go with you guys, it's going to be an epic adventure. But it won't happen for me, for numerous reasons, one of which is that I'm simply not in shape for it. I really did take this summer off from running and while I'm ramping up for the late summer/fall racing season, even I know that would be too much. I'll just have to live vicariously.

Geo - I love that you bike commute to work. I'm only 5 miles from the office, but I still haven't made the effort.

BCC - nice job on your 8 mile run yesterday, holding just under 7 min/mi pace!

TT - I absolutely believe that hills are 50% mental, whether you are riding them or running them. If you dread them, then you won't ever be a hill beast.

TASM - Good to hear about the improvements in the scans! Please let the group know what we can do to continue to support you.

1Top - Make sure you take plenty of time to let your body recover, you've earned it!

As for my workout today ... Met Rick and Tim at the usual god-awful hour and swung back around after 30 min to pick up Jay. Planned our route to take us past a local eating establishment that had a fire yesterday, not much to see after that. Rick had started off whining about how we needed to keep the pace reasonable, then 3/4 of the way through he and Tim dropped Jay and myself. 12.6 miles.

On a side note, we had our Wed night beer can sailing races last night and both our normal drivers weren't there, so I ended up driving. It was my first time driving in a race and I didn't do horrible. We finished solid and have a 5 point lead in the beer can standings with only one week remaining. That's fantastic. Only getting 4 hours of sleep, not so much.

Have a great day, tri-peeps!

Mike
TriAndStopMe likes this.
#6 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
Thor, our treadmill has a decline feature - I know logistics might be challenging, but if you want to get in a run with a sustained downhill, you are welcome to come over whenever.
#7 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
Track workout for me today with Kitty pacing me. That Kitty is the picture of awesome! Splits for me were:
10 min warm up
4:12
4:11
4:14
4:15
Cool down 800 at 4:40 Total about 6 miles I believe.
The overall goal pace was 4:45 but I was trying out the 4:15 as the coach and I discussed and I nailed it I think on average. I feel that I could have done the 10th at 4:15ish pace too even with the awful manure smell that would sometimes assault our noses. Goal for Chicago is 4:45. I feel more confident that I can get there.
MQ, those were all 800s? Nice consistent pacing!

I taught a Guts & Butts class yesterday morning, biked 19+ miles last night, and ran bleachers this morning. My legs are DEAD. Hoping to swim tomorrow in a salt water pool!
#8 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 7
Likes Given: 0
Wk 1 Day 3 after work today then off to Tahoe for a long weekend with the new wife and NO KIDS!!!!!

Oh incase you missed it on FB I got remarried on Aug1.
ksurp and SpartyGirl like this.
#9 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd256 View Post
Wk 1 Day 3 after work today then off to Tahoe for a long weekend with the new wife and NO KIDS!!!!!

Oh incase you missed it on FB I got remarried on Aug1.
Congrats!!!! Glad to have you back, stick around
#10 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
So exciting with so many more peeps around! I am having a hard time keeping up!

X: Nice job on the run and the race last night
Moco: Consistent training, when is the big race?
MQ: Really good splits! I am sure the speedwork is helping you!
Geo: 300 miles is what I try to hit on a good bike MONTH! Really inspiring!
TASM: So glad the tests look good. Sorry it wasn't the ultimate to do surgery but it also sounds like things are coming along nicely. Cheers to kinder gentler chemo (is there such a thing?)

Me: PiYo buns today and 4.5 mile run/walk. Knees ok. Crossing fingers the PT exercises are working and I can finally deal with this stupid knee issue once and or all!
#11 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
#12 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Hi all! I'm just going to go ahead and call August a complete wash and start fresh on the 1st. Been sick all freakin' month.

In happier news, we added another nephew to the mix this morning.
Tri-Tammy likes this.
#13 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 136
Likes Given: 1
Today is Christmas in august
I was headed out the door with my bicycle for a morning ride when I was intercepted by the fire department's brush inspector. [ Some of you will recall my memorial day brush clearing extravaganza because the city wanted to inspec.t Its been a summer of balancing water use in a drought vs. fire requirements to irrigate and issues with trimming brush on a steep slope. My goal was to make the view from the yard so good no one would worry about the minor details and to reduce fire risk within reason. ] I took the brush inspector to the back she glanced around and announced this is perfect, you are the only house that passed you should be very proud and show all your neighbors. So that was the first "present" I can train and just do upkeep no more major brush clearing and a reward for the hard work.

As she moved off , the mail worker walked up to hand me a package he had forgotten from yesterday. A package from MQ! 3 jerseys that fit perfectly. A great replacement for the one I gave up to the crash. SO I put a nice red one on, put my keys and wallet etc into the pockets and headed off for my ride!

Of course, I forgot water and its a hot windy dry day but I didn't' have much time left. As I started my warm up lap a car pulled up, a familiar one from a mobile bike repair clinic they usually set up and offer free adjustments and air, today they had cold water!!

So new jerseys, passed brush inspection and water when I needed it!!

The jersey made me super fast (and much more comfortable than trying to carry my stuff in a fanny pack on a tri bike) so I managed to rush through 15 miles with 1 lap (5 1/2 miles) of fartlek work, first time since 2004 it was the jersey I'm sure!
I am I happy and lucky person today. Thank you very much Muffin Queen!
#14 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149
Fun story...
I took DH out last night riding. Our friends who have seen him have commented that it's only a matter of time before I'm consistently following him and not the other way around. He truly does not believe them and since he only wanted to go about 10 miles last night I thought... here's my perfect opportunity to get him to realize his strength and potential. So we did a few 30 sec on intervals. He passed me on all of them. Then we did several 1 min on and he passed me on those as well. The guy looked like a kid in a candy store- big ass grin to go with it! LOL I'm happy to be his rabbit as long as he'll be mine when the time comes. And the good news- I suffered no ill effects after working hard on my bike. Of course I wasn't on my tri bike but for now I'm feeling great and I'll take it!

I did not run this morning, just to give my muscles some time to adapt. I *might* run or walk the doggy dog tonight. Otherwise it's Blue Thursday. #GoHawks!
#15 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Swimmerbee: You are so very welcome. We had more than we could wear and it is so great to have these jerseys be used. I'm also sure the speed was the jersey! We only sent the fast ones you know.

TT: Brian used to Rabbit for me and now we are pretty equal. Hopefully he doesn't become me with the goal to beat you all the time. Seriously though this is such an awesome summer for you both in so many ways. Your earlier clouds were filled with silver linings.
TriAndStopMe and Tri-Tammy like this.
#16 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
Due to travel this weekend, I had to squeeze in a 20 miler after work today. That is not a fun way to do it. Weather was cool, somehow the rain stayed away, just too bad it sucked real bad. Out and back. Went through four and a half bike bottles of water and four packs of sport beans. The last two miles were rough, but I pretty much expected it. Should sleep pretty good tonight though. Made it in just about three hours.

Likely off the net until Monday or so. Enjoy the holiday weekend all.
#17 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 362
Likes Given: 3
Wow lots going on!!

Thor - so excited to hear about r2r2r2!
MQ - nice 800's! How did you come up with the target time? Sounds like you are going to kill it!
SB - what a day with full of smile!
Sparty - congrats, Auntie Alicia (nice sound to it!)
Alaska M - beer can what? Yeah more months are left for sailing too!
TT - nice to hear you both are having such a good time riding! Yay to pain free ride!

About 27miles on my tri bike. Rode to DS's XC TT (first xc race) He ran 21:15 with low energy, cramping, without spikes. Honesty speaking he looked like crap at half way. He still PRed (against road 5k's) After pot luck dinner (first time to eat hot dog in like a year) the ride was AWEFUL with full stomach.
#18 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 3
My running group did it's annual 5K fun run last night, so that was my training for the day! I brought my wife along, and she ran too. Hard course, but I managed to go 19:15 or so! I felt pretty good too!
#19 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 223
Likes Given: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemboyle View Post
Geo: 300 miles is what I try to hit on a good bike MONTH! Really inspiring!
Couple of days left for registration to keep you going into September and hitting that goal (registration closes 8/31)!

https://www.bikereg.com/seacoast-century

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page