• 3 Post By cak73
  • 2 Post By Muffin Queen
  • 1 Post By cak73

#1 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
Thursday, July 17 - WORKOUTS!

Today my little Mad Girl is 3 weeks young!

Most of you know this, but for those who do not, Maddie, a nickname for Madison, gets her name from where Heather and I got engaged. During the marathon of Ironman Wisconsin, in of course Madison, Wisconsin, I got down on a knee and proposed to Heather. In the days after, we agreed that if we ever had a daughter, her name would be Madison. And there it is!

MQ: Your marathon plan should work for getting you to that 4:45. You have all of the tools to do it. You will of course need to ramp up the time on the road as time nears, but you can get away with keeping it to only a few days per week as long as you're working fitness the other days. 4:45 gives you room for a lot of walking, so if you minimize (and train for that) the time walking, you'll kill this goal.

Yoshi: Thank you so much for chiming in on my FB thread on the Rogue. We are seriously considering it and might even pull the trigger this weekend. Just worried about the CVT transmission and how it performs in stop and go traffic...

Me...

4 mile slow run early this morning. Still feeling Iron Strength workouts, plus yesterday at noon I added a 6 mile hill workout including 8 repeats of a 2+ minute hill, so understandably stiff and sore, but purposely kept it slow.

Great day, friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
Hi folks! Time for me to get caught up again.

Thor: I am so glad that Maddie is ok and that you are all home together.
Sparty: Keeping my fingers crossed!
Cake: So sorry about Kaya.
MQ: You captured everything perfectly yesterday.
Tammy: Have fun with the new wetsuit.
Julie: Hope your mom is recovering well.
X: Glad to read that your dad is home.
Topo: Hope you feel better soon.

Things around here have been rather busy. DH is struggling with a severe outbreak of shingles and is completely miserable. His doctor took one look at him and said, “wow… that’s really bad.” He now has 2 painkillers and Ambien to provide some relief and he is out of work this week. I have no idea how long it will take for him to recover and I feel so bad that I can’t do anything to make him feel better.

Training recap:
Last Thursday: Did 3800m in the pool in 83’ which I was happy about. I seem to be getting a little faster. Drove to Mont Tremblant for Team Endurance Nation training camp.
Friday: Rode 105 of the IM course and survived fib 20 minute run. Felt really out of my comfort zone for most of the weekend as the slowest person there but I did what I could do.
Saturday: 20 minute swim.
Rode 1 loop of the IM course trying to keep my HR at an appropriate level, worked on fueling, and became more familiar with the course. I am now wavering between “how am I going to pace appropriately and still make the bike cutoff especially since I am in the last swim wave…” and “ok. I am familiar with the course, be patient and disciplined and I can make the bike cutoff.” Good thing I still have 3 more weeks of long rides. I am really glad that I did the camp and rode the course. My fellow teammates are so nice and I look forward to seeing them again in a month.
Sunday: 2 hour run then drove home to find DH in shingles agony. I do like the run course. Much flatter than the 5.5 mile loop I usually do.
Monday: DOR, caring for DH, and driving 4 hours to get DS2 back and forth to hockey camp (which I will be doing all week...)

Tuesday: Easy 1600m swim
Wednesday: 2.5 hr long run
Today: 75’ trainer ride followed by 40’run on tap for this afternoon. I had planned on riding with my ladies club today but DH still can’t drive to pick up DS from camp so that means trainer for me.
juliemboyle and cak73 like this.
#3 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149
Kirsten- I thought about you a lot while you were on your training weekend. I am proud of you for going, for sticking with it and for staying in the moment. That had to be hard to do and you did it. Keep up the consistency and keep at it. All of this hard work will pay off. I know it. Also, so sorry to hear about your husband. I dread the day that this happens to me. Yikes!!!!

Thor- I love Maddie's name. How's the Cam-man doing? Is he adjusting now?

My adventure last night with my wetsuit sucked ass. lol I dropped one size and should have dropped two sizes. This means that I'm back to the shop tonight to trade it in. And it also means that I either need to go for a quick swim on Friday at the race site or swim in a suit that I haven't tried. Aarrgggh!!!

Shopping, packing and cleaning for me this afternoon so that we can leave tomorrow.

#4 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
Right to it today...
3400yd straight swim this morning of:
400 warm up,
2600 straight,
400 cool down.

6 mile run after work since I accidentally left my Garmin on yesterday and it was dead when I got home. Only ended up running 1 mile, once it was charged enough for me to get that in yesterday.

The swim went pretty well, and although I was slower this time around than when I did this same workout back in 09, it wasn't by a lot...43 seconds for the timed 2600, which only equates to about 1 second per 100, if my math is right. I can live with that.

Have a great day!
#5 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
Catching up. Been busy, but I missed you folks.

Vibes and stuff for all of you who need it... especially Kirsten's DH. Did they give him valtrex?

Ran 7 (!) on Sunday, 3 on Tuesday, 45 minutes on the bike last night.
cak73 likes this.
#6 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 171
Back to the regular commute - beautiful morning. Managed 19.3 on the way in (luck with lights and cross-roads). Not sure if I'll be returning short or long, so 30+ or 40+ on the day ....

Great day all.

Geo.
#7 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 112
Likes Given: 224
Hi everyone! Been a bit...

Thor - Glad to hear that Maddie is ok and she is doing well! 3 weeks already!
Cake - sorry about Kaya, hope the medicine regimen helps!
MQ - sorry I missed you at Mass State.

Did Mass State Oly as part of Team O. B. S... (I'll let you figure that out) I did the bike portion. As MQ said, never did get a tail wind, and felt like we had a constant head wind on the one loop course! At one point, I commented to another woman..."nice, not only are we climbing a hill, we get a head wind to boot" The new fit gave me my power back, but the jury is still out. Need to ride a bit more before I decide if I need to do some more adjustments, but am pretty happy with my time, given I haven't been able to really get anything out of the bike yet this season. 1:12:15

http://maxperformanceonline.com/mass...:1405613272951

Kind of dragging today as we saw Aerosmith/Slash (and Johnny Depp!!) last night at Great woods...WHAT A SHOW!! plan is to get on the bike after work.
#8 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Kirsten: I am so proud of you! So glad you went to that camp, sounds like you are feeling more confident about the bike. WOW you are one dedicated Mommy and trainee to be doing that drive all week and getting your long workouts in! (Did I read that right DS is in a 5 day a week "day" camp that is a 2 hour drive each way? Mother Teresa lol)

Mo:suhweet!! Awesome long run, scream from the rooftops, so nice to see you back at it again!

Geo: Are you doing Seacoast ridet this year? I am toying with the idea of doing 50/metric century on the Sat.............I always seem to stop riding after labor day and thought that would be a good way to keep me on the bike in Sep.

Me: 23 mile ride. Was supposed to be a 13/2 brick HOWEVER my fu^$^%&^* stupid KNEE decided after my run yesterday that a brick run was not a good idea. I am seriously frustrated with my knees. Both knees have been acting up on/off since Nov. One gets better, the other acts up. I am DONE with it. Ok, rant over thanks for listening.
#9 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemboyle View Post

Geo: Are you doing Seacoast ridet this year? I am toying with the idea of doing 50/metric century on the Sat.............I always seem to stop riding after labor day and thought that would be a good way to keep me on the bike in Sep.
Haven't signed up yet, but suspect I will. Registration cost goes up after July 31 - and it sounds like it's filling faster than usual - so I better get on the stick. And September is the BEST riding weather
#10 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Julie: Have to agree with Geo that Sept. is the best riding weather.
Zoj: Do you remember what that person you spoke to was wearing because I had a similar conversation with a lovely woman I was passing on the bike.
EmCo: 7 miles!!! You'll get there.
X: 43 seconds seems to me like the same thing as 09.
TT: Good luck with wetsuit issues. Swim when you get there and get acclimated to the venue.
Thor: Today was a great 10.6 so I'm feeling like 4:45 is possible. May have N2 do an 800 with me since it was her race in HS track. She of course does it in under 3 minutes.
Ksurp: So very proud of you! Way to get out of the comfort zone. How do they work the bike cutoff with swim waves and ironman? So that means that the 17 hours goes beyond midnight to accommodate the swim waves? How do they know, if they are setting a set cut off, whether or not the time is really the time (i.e. x hours) since there are swim waves now or does that not matter? I know so many questions. I'm thinking Ironman again next year so I'm truly curious since they seem to be implementing wave starts more and more now.

10.6 miles for me this a.m. N2 joined Kitty and I for the first 5.3and N1 and Julie did some interval work together while Kitty and I did a second 5.3 mile loop. Surprisingly the second loop felt like it went by faster than the first and did not hurt like we both thought it was going to. Whoop!!! N2 kept us so involved in her stories we forgot how entertaining she is.
#11 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 352
Likes Given: 3
Thor - I have never noticed anything different/strange/weird about my Rogue's transmission at stop and go traffic. The only thing I have noticed is the sound jr described. I have been driving it since the beginning of March, only 10K. This car gets such great reviews. LIke you said, the best in class for the $. DH drives Infiniti (as you know Nissan's brand) with CVT. His has about 26K (2013MY) on it and never had any issues. I would say go for it! What color? I wanted red but back in March, this car was extremely hard to come by and I had a time constraint (company car), so ended up with black.

some biking later. Accompanied DH for his endscopy. No lunch time workout. He was told nothing that requires balancing and quick decision. He wants me to go with him for MTBking. Nuts.
#12 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
EmCo - 7! Nice!
MQ - intrigued by the marathon training plan, sounds like something my body would adapt to fairly well.
Ksurp - AWESOME training weekend. Have faith in yourself. It IS in you.
Julie - darn knees!
Yoshiko - your DH is as crazy as you are

Big brick for me tonight 12/3. Rode a bit conservative and ran as hard as I could. Surprised myself with 9:17 pace for the 3 miles. DH had a good interview and is guardedly optimistic he will get called for a 2nd. I've been the self esteem police lately and keep reminding him that he rocks. A strong oatmeal stout for both of us tonight.
cak73 likes this.
#13 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Ksurp...awesome work at the EN IMMT training camp! Looking forward to seeing you out there in August! Also, WRT DH's shingles, that really sucks! I'm telling you, I'd totally get vaccinated against shingles before I ever get vaccinated for the flu! Folks I've spoken to who've had shingles have been affected for MONTHS.
MoCo...7 miles!!! WOOT!
Sparty...NICE brick! fingers crossed WRT DH's interview
Julie...my physical therapist/coach often remarks that the knees are hapless bystanders to whatever is going on with the hips and/or feet. You may want to see someone and have them do a functional movement screen. Hope your knees feel better soon!

Thanks, again, everyone for your kind words regarding Kaya. For the past few days, she's enthusiastically greeted us when we come home in the evening, vigorously squeaking her stuffed snake and coaxing us into tugging with her. So far, she approves of the addition of shiitake mushrooms, kelp, sweet potatoes, and watermelon to her diet. Marley got some watermelon, too.

Cooler weather, relatively speaking, today in MA. Last night, however, I just could not get on board with the idea of a solo 53 mile ride outside, so I suggested to my coach an a.m. and a p.m. trainer ride. He complied and suggested a TrainerRoad ride that I did 2x today, with some modified intensity. "Tower" is a "progression workout lasting a total of 90 minutes consisting of 5 zero-recovery, 16-minute steps from 60-100% FTP." In the morning, I backed off 10% for steps 2-5 and in the evening, I backed off 4-6% for steps 2-5. Parked myself in front of Netflix and Orange is the New Black (now done with Season 1).

Hey, it's all about finding a way to keep moving forward and get it done, right?

Cheryl (aka cake)
#14 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 352
Likes Given: 3
Cak - your mental focus and strength is shining too brightly in your post. You got some serious heart into this whole thing, especially in this heart-aching tough times.
TriAndStopMe and ksurp like this.
#15 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
Cak - your mental focus and strength is shining too brightly in your post. You got some serious heart into this whole thing, especially in this heart-aching tough times.
OMG, that is so sweet of you to say and it's gonna make me cry. The training is keeping me from doing a whole host of other waaaaaay less healthy things right now! Focusing on the workout at hand means I'm not dwelling on the inevitable. Plus, it helps get me out of the house. It's been especially helpful to try to meet up with other folks.

When I got my "Kick Cancer" kit from Betty Designs earlier this year, I had no idea I'd be wearing it to honor Kaya in addition to all of the other folks I know whose lives have been affected by cancer. I've been wearing the kit for all of my 100+ mile rides.

Cheryl (aka cake)
#16 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Wear race day too. I'm sure it will serve you well. You rock cak!
TriAndStopMe and cak73 like this.
#17 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post
Wear race day too. I'm sure it will serve you well. You rock cak!
Thought about it, but my tri club kit is "fast" (of this I am convinced). Thought about being just garish and wearing some of each kit...top from one, bottom from other...at least for the bike.
Muffin Queen likes this.

Cheryl (aka cake)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page