RR Sturgis Falls HM - KickRunners.com

#1 of 10 Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
RR Sturgis Falls HM

Did a local HM this morning. I have done this race three years in a row now, and actually wrote up last year's race also. Search on my name for Sturgis and you can find it.

Goal of this race was a 1:35, to be in line with a slight improvement over last year (1:36:40) to go along with my goal of cutting a few minutes off a Oct. marathon.

Short: Didn't hit my goal, cruised in at 1:37:30, so lost 50 seconds over last year. That will happen. I didn't expect greatness due to missing some training and having an absollute terrible last ten days of training. But, it all really come down to hitting mile 8 and needing to cool off a bit, losing all my time between 8 and 10.

Longer: Nice local race. Like last year we have had nasty flooding and had to run a modified route. No biggee since we did that one last year as well. Weather was forecasted to be nasty humid with a chance of showers, but the morning was 3 degrees cooler than planned (67F) and felt not too bad. Took off with 300 HM'ers and about 600 5k'ers who split off about 1/2 mile in. Tried to settle in an ok pace knowing I wanted to try and hit consistent 7:15 to hit the 1:35 goal. Hard to judge since the mile markers varied by around 25-50 yards from last year. Wasn't sure what to believe. Still hit the 4 mile mark in 29:08, just a few seconds off pace, but I was feeling OK and the weather started clouding up which was gong to help when we hit second half. Two more miles right on pace at 14:30, but I was starting to feel a little warm. The water stops weren't optimal for me, being at 3, 5.5 and 8 in this section. That first one was a little long in coming, though I sipped through a small Gatorade while waiting for the start. I like to really hydrate. A group of three caught me at about 6.5 and were going about the pace I wanted so I latched on and let them drag me to the water stop, but I lost 8-12 seconds per mile from 6-8 which explains why they caught me. Hit mile 8 which starts a long gradual uphill and was in rough shape. I grabbed water to drink, then Gatorade to drink, then water to dump on my head. It was looking like rain and I hoping for it from 8-9. Staggered my way through mile 9 and 10, losing :24 then :40. That brought me back to the uphill section....but this time going down. I used that to propel me back on track as the rain and wind started driving. Ah sweet cooldown. I stayed barely on pace the nexy two mile, and had to dig pretty deep to fight off the slow down in the final 1.1. I hit my watch right at the 1:37:30 point (no chips, not sure what they will officially score me at.)

Besides having a better last couple weeks of training, I should have carried some food with me. I read through last year's report when I got home and I had chowed down 2 packs of sport beans (my preferred food) during the race. Not sure why I went with nothing today. Maybe I thought they would have something on course, maybe I simply forgot, maybe I am just stupid. Overall I am happy with the race, the 1:35 goal was pulled about out of a hat. I am toying with a 3:20 or maybe 3:15 marathon goal this year, so I still have some work to do.

OK, that's about it.

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 358
Likes Given: 3
Surprisingly quick RR! The heat/humidity sounds like a bit much to your liking. Considering the terrible 10 days leading up to the race and a few other things, you did well! Looks like a solid stepping stone to get the marathon training in gear for the fall success! Great job!
#3 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
The humidity will kill you. It kills me! Also, yes, you probably would have done better with more calories. Sounds like a good day overall as you almost hit the pace, you know it wasn't optimal for weather and nutrition and yet you were close, so improvements will be easy! ( says the girl whose fastest HM is 1:57:XX)

#4 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
In 1:37 I can cover just over 8 miles...I feel unqualified to analyze. Well done, Kaiser. Next time, grab a gu.
#5 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
I'm with Sparty on this one. My best HM is a 2:05. Way to go!
#6 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
Good job out there! No, you didn't meet your expectations, but you relearned and will hopefully remember to take the nutrition with you and practice your nutrition in training. Trust me, I'm glad I did the IL Marathon this year because it reminded me of what I have to do when I go long. Carry the experience with you into your fall marathon and you will meet your expectations, I am sure of it!
#7 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
I'm with Sparty on this one too. Way to hang in there with the humid conditions and get it done. You still have a lot of training time before your fall marathon!
#8 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xflbk43 View Post
Good job out there! No, you didn't meet your expectations, but you relearned and will hopefully remember to take the nutrition with you and practice your nutrition in training. Trust me, I'm glad I did the IL Marathon this year because it reminded me of what I have to do when I go long. Carry the experience with you into your fall marathon and you will meet your expectations, I am sure of it!
Yeah, I think that is a problem at non A races sometimes. Forgot what I know. I tend to overeat in training, and hydrate good. Lots of excuses with some vacation, pending floods here, etc. bottom line is I know better.
#9 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Shy of your "out of a hat" time goal, but sounds like a solid effort to me! A good "see where you are" sort of race.

Next time, don't forget the beans and maybe carry a small handheld bottle if your usual habit is to hydrate good. I recently saw a small handheld that was like a squishy tube so that it would shrink in size as you drink.

Cheryl (aka cake)
#10 of 10 Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 222
Likes Given: 175
Solid race ... sounds like a few little bumps didn't affect you much at all. Agreed totally on the humidity - definitely an effort sapper. Ditto on X's/CAK's comments about prep. Not that I'm one to speak - I'm a terrible hydrator, and I'd think carrying something for the course of a race would just drive me crazy! I'd be more inclined to have pre-planned stops in training, or have some support-crew hand me the beans at a pre-chosen location (race day). At any rate - well done.

g.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page