Tuesday, July 16 - Workouts! - The Bomb - KickRunners.com

#1 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
On this day in 1945, at 5:29:45 a.m., the Manhattan Project comes to an explosive end as the first atom bomb is successfully tested in Alamogordo, New Mexico. (history.com)

Thor - Great job at the Vert race! Are you biking in preparation for something or just for fun?
Bannon - camping sounds like a blast!
Yoshiko - My DD will be taking her driving test today. In her mom's car. biggrin.gif
KSup - In the home stretch? LP, right?
Sparty - good advice from Geo. Nice job on the swim.
Hobey - Good job with the cross-training, I need to get back to that.
Adam - sweet ride! How long until LT?

Did a Burgers and Beer 5k last night. 3.2 mi warmup and I was dripping in sweat. Then I stood around for 25 min tightening up. First mile was 5:40, Garmin told me the 2nd mile was 6:17 and mile 3 was 6:22. Garmin read 3.02 mi, so not sure if its just Garmin error or if the course was short. Lakefront course that was dead flat, and unfortunately not closed, so we had to dodge the Segway-riding tourists. I finished in 18:26 according to the clock, so I was 24th overall and 3rd masters male. Got chicked once. wink.gif

Then up this morning for a track workout. The Blerch was telling me to sleep in, and I did get up an hour later than I intended. The garmin was dead, so distances were approximate. Ran the usual 4 to 5 mi warmup, then did skips, high knees, butt-kicks, crossovers and strides. Main set was 8 x 400m with 200m recovery. Instructions were that the 400s were to be 3 to 5 seconds/400 faster than 5k pace. Since my 5k pace last night was 6:06 (assuming my Garmin was correct and the course was short), that means the 5k pace would be 1:31-1:32/400. I did the 400's in 1:26, 1:27, 1:25, 1:25, 1:25, 1:25, 1:20, 1:22. Didn't really turn up the burner until the last 2. Easy run home for a total of about 12 miles.

And, I signed up for the Boston 2 Big Sur yesterday. 2 marathons, 2 coasts, 6 days apart. Can't wait for it!

Blow it up, tri-peeps!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 218
Likes Given: 165

That's a study in contrasts, Mike (Boston to Big Sur).. Sounds like it'll be quite the experience! Does it combine THE marathon, or is it another marathon in Mass?

Some guy blew by me on my commute home last night (looked like a CAT racer ... shaved legs and calves of iron). Motivated me to pick it up a bit for a stretch, and then I was possessed by T's mighty hammer for the morning commute smile.gif. Avgd 19.9 over the first 16 miles, and then eased up for the last 4 to end up at 19.6 (1:02 over 20.3 miles). I was pleased - but think the ride home will be a little easier.

Great Tuesday all!

Geo. 

#3 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2

Good morning, TEAM LIT!

Mike: You will LOVE Boston2BigSur. I fell in love with it, the course, the idea of running back to backs... all of it. Good brewpub located at one of the host hotels, too! And hey, solid racing yesterday and great workout today. Jealous, actually! Can't wait to get my legs back under me to start up track workouts.

TriTammy: re: what does recovery really look like? Good question. It would look a lot like what I'm doing right now minus the races. But... but... well, I registered for the last three races before the 100. One was a friend's race in honor of his wife... wanted to be there. One was 4th of July... hey, it's a holiday and family wanted to run! And one was a race I will not miss! No more races on the schedule. Recovery in full!

ksurp: Taper Time!!! All that is left is the party.

Me...

5.65 mile run early this morning with the usual suspects.

Great day, friends!

#4 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 11
Geo.,

The first half is indeed The Boston Marathon. I'm assuming I'll get in since I have a qualifying time that's 15 min under the standard. That makes me the 2nd group to register, 2 days after those who qualified by 20 min under their standard.

Mike
#5 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264

Mike:  2 Marathons in 6 days......wow!  Here I am all proud of my 5 mile run on a very humid day!  I cannot take running in the heat at all anymore, I absolutely die!

I need to read up on what everyone is doing.......Ksurp and Adam I know you are doing IM soon, just wow.  I cannot imagine it.  Good for you :)

#6 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
Julie it is great to see you here!
#7 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Howdy speedsters! I did a wee bit of speed work this morning on the treadmill. 10min w/u FIB 8x1 min repeats at 8:34 pace with 1min recovery at 12:00 pace, cool down. Total of 3.25 miles of sweating to the point of wringing out my socks.

Hard workout for me, but the attitude is that I'm not going to get faster by staying in my comfort zone!

Happy Tuesday all!
#8 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20

Some impressive workouts going on around here lately.

I am fully into the taper, so yesterday was just a swim workout, pretty solid.  Today is looking to be a short-ish bike ride followed by a short brick run.  Will probably add a short, recovery-style swim in there somewhere, just to stay busy and keep the arms moving.

- Le Bannon
#9 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149

One hour bike tonight.  Maybe a hill or two but main point is to just keep the legs spinning. 

#10 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596
Hey all! I thought I would try to recap in here since cruise but no way will I remember everything. A brief recap below and some thoughts. Whatever I do this week I did last week too since I get a new plan from coach Jason every 2 weeks. Sat: 10 mile run. 5 with N1 and 4.5 with H2 and .5 with me Sun: 55 mile bike; 24 alone and 31 with H and Jocelyn Mon: DOR Tues: 60 min on trainer big gear interval work; 50 minutes on elliptical; strength work tonight with n1 friend who is a student at Springfield for athletics. He is kicking my butt in a good way. Cruise was awesome. Great time with family. Bermuda was desert hot but a nice experience. I worked out a few times. Did a lot of walking. Did a fair amount of eating and adult beveraging. Only gained 2 lbs which was the best. Lost at bingo but had fun playing. DId not get seasick in rough waters at first sea day out of Boston. All very good things. Prepping for annual day of glutony at my parent's house Saturday. Trying a new recipe for caramel corm whoopie pies. Will report back on test case Monday. Looked at my RTBeach assigned legs and did not die of fright. A good thing overall. Decided to try to get into Chicago marathon for 2014. Thinking about back to back marathons in October with a friend in SC and GA. Raced Whaling City sprint on 7/7 with N1 after getting back from vacation on 7/5. She was close to me in time: I was 1:29:04 and she was 1:29:51. I was 10/28 in my age group. Yes it is a small race. She was awesome and took 2nd in her age group 19 and under. If she swam and biked more for sure she's be competitive. She is a soccer player for WPI though so that comes first. Still thinking about OOB Oly distance in August. Someone convince me of something with that race. It is pretty costly for an Oly. and an ocean swim. 2 negatives. Give me some positives please. I hear Rev 3 has great races. Anything else? OK must get back to work now and catching up on things while I was away.
#11 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post

Still thinking about OOB Oly distance in August. Someone convince me of something with that race. It is pretty costly for an Oly. and an ocean swim. 2 negatives. Give me some positives please. I hear Rev 3 has great races. Anything else? OK must get back to work now and catching up on things while I was away.

Beautiful course.
Calm, warm ocean (was last year, anyway).
Free use of NormaTech boots
Was my first sub 3 hour Oly
Monica, Adam, Ronbo, and I will be there

biggrin.gif

Cheryl (aka cake)
#12 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post

Still thinking about OOB Oly distance in August. Someone convince me of something with that race. It is pretty costly for an Oly. and an ocean swim. 2 negatives. Give me some positives please. I hear Rev 3 has great races.

I'm doing the OOB Oly too!  It is a very nice and well done race with lobster at the finish. 

Today:  60 minutes on the trainer followed by a 30 minute run then a drive to LBS for pre-race bike tune up.

#13 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 8
Rest day...it's been a rough day as those on FB already know. We lost our sweet kitty, Hobey, today. Saturday was just the beginning apparently with the leg abscess and ABX. She crashed in the last 24 hours and was having trouble breathing. They put her on O2 when we went in today to stabilize her for an X-ray and found a huge mass in her lungs, suspected cancerous, plus fluid build up from the start of congestive heart failure. She been with us 15 years and has had a good life but it's never easy.

hobey
Slacker

#14 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 344
Likes Given: 3
Ksurp - enjoy your taper! Woohoo
hobey - sorry about your kitty... RIP

20mile lunch time ride. Heat advisory was on. Legs were still quite tired. Ended up finding time for 5 mile run at 8:30pm. Still crazily hot.humid. But it seemsy body is slowly getting used to it.
#15 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117

Mike: Big Sur is gorgeous. Doing B2BS must take an amazing experience up several notches. You'll love it.  (Also, thanks for making me look up The Blerch... the rotten little troll.)

Thor: Way to "fail" your way to a first place mug. You have clearly perfected the chug the mug routine.

hobey: More hugs for your loss. It's always such a tough loss.

Ksurp: Woohoo, enjoy the taper and look forward to the day long party ahead!

MQ: Welcome back!

Rest day for me Monday, but I managed a fairly pain-free seven hour day in the office. It may not sound like much, but it's progress. The "in the office" days to tend to leave me wiped out though. 

Pretty solid PT day today. Needed to make up for my swim partner being under the weather.  I'm really trying to regain shin and calf muscle. I can squeak by without them swimming, but I'll need them for biking and running. (They come in handy walking, too!) We're planning on getting back in there Thursday. I usually have my in office PT session on Friday, but this week it's on Thursday. It'll be interesting to see how that affects swimming. 

Happy workouts, all!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page