RR: Sturgis Falls HM - KickRunners.com

#1 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2

Certainly one thing missing around here is the practice of writing a race report for every race. I am guilty, and know some others are also. I can't commit to improving, but I will post this one....

short version: 1:36:40. Very happy as this was simply an inline training run. I am signed up for the Des Moines marathon in October, and this was a good fitness check. Held really consistent splits, though I missed a few markers going through some water stops.

Longer: This is a local race, right downtown. I did it last year as my first longer race since getting back into running (knee issues), and fell in with an evil companion and burned out a bit at mile 11 cruising in at 1:40. Since I am signed up for an October marathon the goal for this one was to stay consistent, protect against the fade, and beat a bunch of people. Due to heavy rains over the last month, a bunch of the course was flooded. Now problem, they have been doing the race for 30+ years so had an contingency route. Normal pre-race routine of milling around and doing a little warm-up. Lined up 20 yards or so back from the start line and shuffled out with the masses. Pretty much just cruised along latching on to various small groups looking for someone running a comfortable pace. Hit the first mile in 7:53, which was right at my low end target. Cool. Linked up with some folks from the local running club and we hit mile two in 7:25. Hmm, that is just the type of thing that can break a man at mile 10. Couldn't really settle in with anyone and kept creeping from person to person. I chatter non-stop during halfs, so maybe people were avoiding me. Hit the third mile at 7:33, then up a gentle hill to a turnaround and back down for mile four at 7:31. Had a pack of sportbeans at this point. By now I was feeling pretty good and figured locking into this pace should be pretty good. The trek for the next two miles was pretty lonely, but did them in 7:20 and 7:25. Mile seven came and went without fanfare at 7:24. Moving into mile eight we emerged from a park and I missed that mile, backed it up by missing mile nine, and finally hit mile 10 averaging 7:20 for the three missed miles. Not bad. I ate some more sportbeans just before a water stop at about 9.5 miles. At this point I caught up to a guy I had followed early on. I chatted him up for a few strides, then he told me to go ahead he couldn't keep up. Oh no you don't, I told him to stay on my wing. I missed mile 11, but we knocked out two miles averaging 6:51. He then faded a bit. I suppose he hates me for dragging him so fast, but it worked good for me. I settled back in for mile 13 at 7:37, feeling it a bit. I passed a couple people right about then. One of them was whining a bit so I told her there is no whining at mile 13 and moved on. I did the last 0.1 at just under 7:00 pace.

I came in right at 1:36:40, and felt really good about it. I had maybe another couple minutes in me, but since I had to hit the street again today for training I was glad I didn't push it.

So, nutrition: peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Two packs of sportbeans during the race and took Gatorade twice and water five times during the race.

Fashion: none noted.

-Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 358
Likes Given: 3
What a way to get back into posting! Sounds like your marathon training is going well. Stay healthy! btw, Where do you live these days?
#3 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315

Dang Kaiser - you like to make an entrance (or re-entrance).  Nice race!  Sounds like you are well on your way to a strong full in DM.

#4 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117

Yay! A Kaiser post! You're quite right, more RRs would do this forum good. If I were up to racing, I'd definitely contribute. 

Sounds like you'll be in good form for your marathon! What else to you have on the books between now and then?

#5 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168

der Kaiser!

Awesome seeing you around here, and I agree about the race reports. Maybe I'll craft a better one up for my last race.

Solid race for you. It's always motivating when you know you have a few more minutes in you. It's the teaser, because it'll keep you dreaming about the next.

Love this part:

"Fashion: none noted."

#6 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260

Congrats on a well done race! Nice to see you back here.

#7 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20

Whoa, solid race!

- Le Bannon
#8 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149

Nice Race der Kaiser!

And thanks for the report.  I definitely miss seeing them!!! 

#9 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
WTG! Seems like perfect pacing to me, definitely an art form, IMHO!

"No whining at mile 13"
will have to remember that one
biggrin.gif

Cheryl (aka cake)
#10 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post

What a way to get back into posting! Sounds like your marathon training is going well. Stay healthy! btw, Where do you live these days?

I hang my hat in east central Iowa these days. We left metro Detroit for greener fields.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAndStopMe View Post

Yay! A Kaiser post! You're quite right, more RRs would do this forum good. If I were up to racing, I'd definitely contribute. 

Sounds like you'll be in good form for your marathon! What else to you have on the books between now and then?

Oh maybe a couple 5ks and one more local half that fits nicely in the training plan.

You know, it only took me about 10 minutes to tap out the RR. Just sayin' is all.

Thanks for the comments.
#11 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaiser20 View Post

You know, it only took me about 10 minutes to tap out the RR. Just sayin' is all.

What's your point?  That you can type almost as fast as you can run?

- Le Bannon
#12 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48

speedy all around.

hmm, maybe I'll put together a RR for my last Sprint (non)Spectacular.

#13 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by em73 View Post

hmm, maybe I'll put together a RR for my last Sprint (non)Spectacular.

Ooooo! Cohen RR Haiku!

Cheryl (aka cake)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page