Tracking the God of Thunder - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2

ksurp: Beautiful words. Thank you for sharing that. I feel so good about being able to help my friend. There was one point where I had gained so much distance on my friend (this is also when I ran into a bear, no joke, which was roughly 25 yards to my right, where thankfully the trail went left) that it entered my mind to just go. I am so glad I did not. Then again, I wouldn't allow myself to do that. Though selfishly I thought about it most at that moment, because it was then when I realized that if we didn't start running and stay running, we were in trouble with the 24 hour cut off. In hindsight, the way I did the race was truly the best of all worlds. I have a lasting experience I will never forget, one I am incredibly proud of, one I know was the result of my background in triathlon and running marathons crafted over many, many years; and I got to share this experience with someone else in a way that will bond us forever, and on top of that I was able to help her be all that she could be. Thanks again for your support.

Der Kaiser!

Sparty: Nothing compared to your ultra marathon of pushing out baby. Very happy for you and JA! Hope the other little one is adapting. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 34 Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117
What she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by em73 View Post

you know, it's pretty obvious you're a pretty f*cking spectacular athlete.

I think the thing I take away from this most is the other thing (that's just as obvious to me).

you're a pretty f*cking spectacular person.

What is most impressive is the way you haul that massive heart of yours over mountain after mountain. Great job getting two huge wins out of one race!
#28 of 34 Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Special Member

:)

#29 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 256
Likes Given: 596

Thor:  Have to say that Brian and I hiked Hanging Lake in CO last Sunday and when he looked at the profile of that and the CDR he stated quite emphatically that he thought you were crazy before but after hiking for 1.2 miles something on the scale of what you did for 24 hours that you were assuredly REALLY F*&&ing CRAZY.  He did however say it with love.  smile.gif

#30 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post

Thor:  Have to say that Brian and I hiked Hanging Lake in CO last Sunday and when he looked at the profile of that and the CDR he stated quite emphatically that he thought you were crazy before but after hiking for 1.2 miles something on the scale of what you did for 24 hours that you were assuredly REALLY F*&&ing CRAZY.  He did however say it with love.  smile.gif

Takes one to know one! :)

CDR was just nutty. 17,000 feet of ascent. And not only that but since it was a point to point, make that 17,000 feet of descent too. Strong quads? Key to this race.

Thanks for relaying the story!

I got buy-in from Heather on what my next gig might be -- though I must say that Heather is so supportive that it doesn't take much to get buy-in; I think she can just tell the way I talk about certain things.

Western States 100.

I discovered that I qualified two times over with the Canadian Death Race (finish and you qualify) and Pineland Farms 50 (under 10 hours). It is a lottery entry, so there's still no guarantee. Mountains of the race are close enough in California where I could probably get her family to come be my support crew, or at least Heather and baby can stay with them as I do the race. Baby would still be quite small at that point (next June), so we'll see. But I think I could get in the proper training, even with baby and even without missing anything. We plan to split up weekends anyway.

#31 of 34 Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post

Western States 100.

I've been wondering whether this or something like Badwater might pop up on your target screen.  I say go for it!

- Le Bannon
#32 of 34 Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBannon View Post

I've been wondering whether this or something like Badwater might pop up on your target screen.  I say go for it!

Badwater hit my radar AS I was doing the Canadian Death Race. I know I could do it. But... but... there's always a but... Badwater has some stupid (to me) qualification rules. You have to run, like, three 100 mile races in short time. Or something like that. Can't remember, but I do remember that it wasn't realistic. Some people get nutty with certain races and want to run a whole bunch of them. I really enjoyed this ultra. It was so much different than a 50 miler. 50's hurt because I can go out on the aggressive side and if I take care of myself I can hold on to the bitter end. But ultras longer than that, I've found, are easier "mentally", at least to get going and over the first bunch of hours, because you're really just plodding along even if it is hard. But I have no desire to stack multiple 100's in one year. Seems silly to me and a sure way to burn out.

Because of these qualification standards for Badwater, that's how I focused my eye more closely on Western States. I'll have to see how my schedule shifts once Baby K comes along, but at this point I'm really considering signing up for the lottery -- as, again, I've already qualified to at least put in for the lottery. Seems a race I can really get into.

Thanks for the note!

#33 of 34 Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3

Doesn't WS require some volunteer time at Ultras?  I think it has your name all over it. Even if not next summer then after?

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#34 of 34 Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsronbo View Post

Doesn't WS require some volunteer time at Ultras?  I think it has your name all over it. Even if not next summer then after?

YES!

I love that part about it. They require 8 hours of service to either another ultra marathon or in maintaining a trail system. If I get in, I will head to my local favorite place to run and see if they can use my help. I had planned to talk to someone at these trails anyway since I love the land so much.

Lottery opens in December for Western States, so by then I'll have a month or more under my belt as a new-found daddy and hopefully have a slightly better read on what I can and cannot fit in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page