Slow runner,opinion wanted. - Page 3 - KickRunners.com

#51 of 84 Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow guy View Post

Maybe I need to find a hobby to fill my idle time that running and riding sometimes fills.Thanks.

I recommend Pilates with a good instructor.  :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#52 of 84 Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 4

OK,as I said in my last post,thor's post about this being a lifestyle for me really made sense.I need to make a decision as to train to get faster,or to do it because I love it and for overall health...Its race time,I want to be faster so for the time being Im going for the less fluff,and more quality training to be faster.

I am going to cut out the plyo for now (maybe resume during the winter),and cut my cross training to only basic upper body training (COME ON DONT MAKE ME GIVE UP CORE WORK,PUSHUPS AND PULLUPS!!!) recreational cycling,and just focus on proper running and rest.

. and rest. So point blank,how many days do you run a week,and how many days do you rest completly?

#53 of 84 Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 8

Not to belabor the point but you need to pick a goal and a time frame to reach that goal. Only then can you build a plan that includes adequate rest/recovery and rest/recovery can mean x-training. 

In general, the following things go into getting a PR: base, targeted speedwork, recovery. Newer runners, and I still count myself among that crew even after six years of running, can reap large benefits out of increasing distance. You have to build the engine and build it correctly. I spent 4 years training by HR. It took me that long to nail down my RPE. Most of my runs are Z1/Z2, meaning slow, sometimes so slow that you want to throw yourself in traffic just so something interesting happens. Once the bottom layer of the pyramid is built, you can layer on the speed and strength.

For a 23:59 5K, according to McMillan, you will want to train at the following paces:

Recovery Runs: 10:30-11:00/mile

Easy/Long Runs: 9:30-10:30/mile

Tempo Runs: Typically 10K pace or 8:10-8:20

Intervals: Usually 3-5K pace. Generally, since my 5K PR is in the vicinity of your goal, I usually run 400s around 1:45, 800s at 3:40, 1200s around 5:45, and 1600s around 7:40

JR suggested reading up on the Daniels formula. I've gotten a lot of good results from Pfitzinger's Road Racing For Serious Runners. Both are good resources and help you understand the science of what you are doing and how recovery plays a role. Pfitz's book has plans from the 5K through the marathon and each is broken out by how much you want to run/week (anywhere from <40, 40-60, and >60). 

I set my 5K PR while training for a marathon. At the time I set it, I was running about 35 miles/week and I wasn't doing track since my end goal was the marathon. I was better served doing tempo runs since those helped me far more for the distance I was training for. My week was divided into a LR, a med-long run, a tempo, and a couple of easy runs for that training cycle with 1-2 complete rest days. My last HM PR in May, I peaked around 45 miles and I did have track work built into that cycle but still maintaining at least one complete rest day/week. I've also tried FIRST which is 3 quality runs/week plus 2 x-training days. If you have a large base, it may work or you might get injured. I was training for a 1:50 HM when I tried FIRST but I got injured despite my large base but still managed to pull a 1:56 out on race day.

YMMV. I think what everyone here is telling you is set a goal with a loose time frame. Then do the research to build plan to meet that goal and then execute. If it doesn't work out the first time, you learn from what you did wrong, reset, and try again.

Recovery is a very personal thing. Peeps like Thor and Don are streakers, others like JR and Yoshi like to bike or swim easy. Yet others, like myself, take a complete rest day. Training and racing is an experiment of ONE. You never know how your body is going to respond until you try.

Jump into the daily thread and you'll start getting a feel for how most of us fookin' nut triathletes train...

hobey
Slacker

#54 of 84 Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 0

The typical runners week looks something like:

monday, off or an active recovery like a short bike ride or hike or upper body strength.

tuesday is quality, either track work, road tempo, whatever

weds endurance run, not too long

thurday--something a bit faster if you can tolerate it, tempo is often the counterpoint to tueday intervals

friday--easy run or cycling or whatever, not too lengthy

weekend - generally a longer run on one day and a medium run on the other or a race and medium run.  do you long runs by time and just get them long enough, not too much.

you can add in some extras like yoga, weights for upper body etc. but avoid doing much more leg stuff.

On tues and thurs, you are doing a planned, progressive workout, each week is faster, further, less rest, whatever, its part of a plan.

Twice a week do 8 x 100m after your medium or easy runs

That's it, really.  Avoid the hills day in day out if you can, find some soft surfaces if you can, use the track once a week, even use a treadmill once a week if you need the flat surface so you can run a steady tempo workout.

#55 of 84 Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM - Thead Starter

2nd day in a row w/no running...Feels like Im going through with drawls,but Im gonna be disciplined.I did do some basic upper body stuff yesterday,and I woke up early this AM and rode to the college(work) to drop off some paperwork on the bike,but other than that have been taking it easy.Tomorrow its on!!!

#56 of 84 Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Special Member

be wary of two things, the power of hills to make an easy pace run stressful on your body and the tendency for people doing reduced mileage to think everything has to be fast.

I would do everything based on time, maybe 30 mins for your recovery, 1 hour or so for medium and 2 hrs or less for long.  quality days (tu and th) will be a total of 40-60 mins.

A division III college XC runner would train about this volume and run 25-27 minutes for 5 miles, you do not need more.  Counting miles in your terrain will just make your total volume too high.

As you get faster, your total distance will inch up, while your time will stay the same.

Find a flat place for your recovery and tempo runs, even if you have to run some loops on the grass around campus.  If all else fails try a treadmill for tempo.

Slow guy likes this.
#57 of 84 Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks man,Im picking up what you're putting down here.Im gonna "wing it" the rest of this week as far as the rest and schedule that Im currently on and then start on this schedule starting monday,and have my quality days,as you suggest on tu and th.

#58 of 84 Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Special Member

It's really pretty standard for people to structure the training week like that, assuming you race or do a longer run over the weekend.  You can adjust the schedule if there is a weeknight race during the summer, simply use it as a quality day and do your easy day  the week before.

Once you are settled, take about every 4th or 5th week a bit easier, just take about 10 mins off the daily volume, cut the long run down and maybe just do one quality day, or none.  This will be the same schedule you use to taper for a big or long race.  You should be able to reduce volume without getting all jittery.  Feeling like you are going into withdrawl from taking a day off is an indication of overtraining, in my opinion.

I know this because I have all the same tendencies and have improved by learning to train a little smarter and limiting my workload

#59 of 84 Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM - Thead Starter

I know this is an old thread and that I have been VERY inactive on this forum,however just wanted to update and say thanks.I have not gotten to where I want to be,but with the advice and words from some of the posters here,and a garmin that nearly broke me to buy,lol, I have made some remarkable improvements.I am racing about once a month,have PR'd several times in the last few months and am doing a 5K this weekend and my goal race the following weekend at the Kings Mountain Marathon (I am doing the half marathon) in S.C.

Thanks again for the advice and help and I am going to start being a little more active here and hopefully be able to help some fellow runners as you have helped me.

#60 of 84 Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20

Quote:

I am going to start being a little more active here and hopefully be able to help some fellow runners as you have helped me.

All any of us could ever ask for!  :)

- Le Bannon
#61 of 84 Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 PM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBannon View Post

All any of us could ever ask for!  :)

Thanks....I think?

#62 of 84 Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 362
Likes Given: 3

Awesome!  Thanks for getting back here to let us know.  Good luck with the upcoming 5k and half!

#63 of 84 Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post

Awesome!  Thanks for getting back here to let us know.  Good luck with the upcoming 5k and half!

5K went amazing,Just over 23 min(Will get official results after while) and got 1st in my age group :) Half Is next weekend and cant wait,although I wont be "racing"it like I did  this 5K,but just trying to go sub 2hrs,I will keep you updated.Thanks again to all of you.

#64 of 84 Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315

Cool!  Good job out there!

Slow guy likes this.
#65 of 84 Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 223
Likes Given: 177

Nicely done. Looks like you made you 24 minute 5K goal (post 4) - and then some! Congrats - not so slow.

George

#66 of 84 Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks,yeah barely made it,lol it took literally everything I had but I feel like im on the right path anyways.

#67 of 84 Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117

Congrats on the 5K! Heck, you may need a new screen name if you keep this up!

Good luck on the half marathon. Soak up every minute of it!

#68 of 84 Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3

Yeah change the screen name icon_geek.gif

I've done an Ironman, but I have not broken 24 min...  U No Slow No  Mo!

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#69 of 84 Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsronbo View Post

Yeah change the screen name icon_geek.gif

I've done an Ironman, but I have not broken 24 min...  U No Slow No  Mo!

LOL,Thanks man,that means a lot and well....I suppose I could? I tell you what,if I go sub 23 Im changing the name!!!

#70 of 84 Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM - Thead Starter

Also I would like to clarify what I changed about my training,I cant say exactly which poster(s)advised me to do what but it was a little bit of info coming in all directions from this thread and some advice from a friend that also got me to where I am at.

1st I ditched the bike altogether,I loved riding but didnt jive with my training.

2nd-I cut out the INSANITY/plyometrics mostly except for days when I am not able to run(Rainy,work,etc) or if I just happen to add a day of training which isnt often.

3rd-I replaced some of my cross training with the bike or plyo with lots of running specific stretching and core training.

4th-I have a garmin now and as much as my friend tells me to rely on"perceived exertion",the garmin allows me to see what I am running at during my races and runs...to each their own of course,but I am in love with the garmin.

5th-I honestly think this has helped me the most,I added more rest to my routine by either less intense cross training(see above)or just resting altogether,and on race weeks I am super resting with very little of anything except lots of carbs,tons of water,and lots of stretching.

I suppose everybody is different,but I have learned that my body really responds to intense training with just as intense resting...sounds silly right?Rest to get faster?Well for this guy it has paid off in spades...err,speed : )

#71 of 84 Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Special Member

that's exactly what you needed to do to get better at running faster, you need to do some weekly time running at a genuine fast pace.  To accomplish this, you need to have fresh legs sometimes.

Anybody knows you need to run when it's cold and rainy to get better, but the real mark of a champion is someone who sits home when it's 70 and sunny.

Slow guy likes this.
#72 of 84 Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroden View Post

that's exactly what you needed to do to get better at running faster, you need to do some weekly time running at a genuine fast pace.  To accomplish this, you need to have fresh legs sometimes.

Anybody knows you need to run when it's cold and rainy to get better, but the real mark of a champion is someone who sits home when it's 70 and sunny.

I wanted to use this quote as my "sig"but I cant figure out how to do so,lol...But "Anybody knows you need to run when it's cold and rainy to get better, but the real mark of a champion is someone who sits home when it's 70 and sunny."...That is just awesome man,words to live by.

#73 of 84 Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM - Thead Starter

2:20 Half Marathon.INCREDIBLY hilly course,almost no flats at all just long,daunting,rolling hills,to put it in perspective the winner won in around 1:49.I "hit the wall"around mile 11 and the last 2 miles were brutal,yet humbling.But that being said,I had a blast!!! I completed a goal,learned what I am made of and am determined to do the race again next year in 2:10...w/out hitting the wall of course!!!

#74 of 84 Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45

For what it's worth, in my opinion a 2:20 1/2 marathon no longer lets you count as a "slow guy" :)

Quote:

2:20 Half Marathon.INCREDIBLY hilly course,almost no flats at all just long,daunting,rolling hills,to put it in perspective the winner won in around 1:49.I "hit the wall"around mile 11 and the last 2 miles were brutal,yet humbling.But that being said,I had a blast!!! I completed a goal,learned what I am made of and am determined to do the race again next year in 2:10...w/out hitting the wall of course!!!

Slow guy likes this.

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
#75 of 84 Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM - Thead Starter

Hey,thanks man! Several people commented about me choosing this one as my 1st,more or less jumping straight to the deep end of the pool,but I did it....The course is about 45min away,Im gonna try and get down there from time to time and train.I train hills,I imagined a hilly race,but nothing like this.

Here is a link to the map from mapmyrun.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/62094392

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page