What to Wear in Cooler Temps - KickRunners.com

#1 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19

Hi Kicksters!

Once again I turn to you for help!  I am doing the Great Ghost Rider Ramble in IN this Saturday (anyone else??).  My distance, 50M, starts at 9:30am.  The high for the day is supposed to be 64.  If I were running I would be good to go.  However, I am feeling a bit out of sorts on the bike.

Is this tights and jacket weather?  I don't usually wear bike gloves.  Would this be a good day to start? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0

You will need to dress slightly warmer than you would for a run.  I'd probably go tights or leg warmers.  Long sleeve jersey with zipper.  Light weight jacket.  You probably won't need them, but light weight gloves wouldn't be bad to keep in a pocket.  Oh, and remember a hanky unless you wanna be blowing snot rockets.

#3 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21

assuming it's say 55 at start and will warm into low 60's, I'd wear arm warmers, knee warmers, light gloves or no gloves and a nylon vest and figure I'd finish with the vest and gloves stuffed in my jersey. Any chance of rain put a plastic or nylon rain jacket in your jersey pocket.

If it's real damp or windy, add a layer like a wicking top or second jersey and even a light hat if it's quite rainy.  I like a wool jersey for that type of weather, it keep you warm when wet and isn't too hot when it warms up.

#4 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22

I tend to not wear a hat until it gets below about 40*.  Even though my helmet is adjustable, it never fits right with a hat.  Just a personal preference!

Also, I tend to wear a base layer that is skin tight.  I think it holds in heat better.

#5 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysmom View Post

I tend to not wear a hat until it gets below about 40*.  Even though my helmet is adjustable, it never fits right with a hat.  Just a personal preference!

Also, I tend to wear a base layer that is skin tight.  I think it holds in heat better.

I have some old helmets that I keep around just for winter use.  I remove a couple of pads so the helmet fits over my various nanook of the north hats.  I have a lot of friends who just skip the helmets in the winter but I try to set an example for my kids.

#6 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the suggestions!  This will be my longest ride so far and I am really excited.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page