OT: Changing gyms - KickRunners.com

#1 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 03:42 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
OK, so am I nuts or anything wrong with my?
Since I started working out 6 years ago, I've been going to the same and only gym... which was getting old and run down... dirty, malfunctioning machines. I was always looking for another one, something close, and with a pool, and not too expensive.
Now a LA Fitness opened in my neighborhood, I tried it, it was awesome, and decided to switch. Only that I didn't realize how hard a mental problem this is. Decided to pull the plug on the old gym was such a consuming decision... I told DW that doing this is what divorcing your wife and getting remarried probably feel like. She didn't even try to respond.
So am I just a freak? Or did anybody else experience that? Any advice on how to cope with withdrawal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
CHANGE?!?!?!?!?! ACK!!! Why do you think I am still at the same gym? I have my routines. Why ever would I want to change? Yah, it's run down. They did just do a "renovation"--changed out lockers (replaced with used lockers), and painted (took 3 months and they still aren't done!). But, it just feels comfortable. So, yah, I get it!
#3 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Chris-I KWYM about feeling like "breaking up." Change is good. LA Fitness is CLEAN and not run down.

Testing!

#4 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 8
My LA Fitness was a dump. It was always flooding in the locker room and I got plantar warts in the pool.

I hope your is better.
#5 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 7
i use 3 diferent gyms for my workouts, 1 has cool TM's that i like and the bikes have water bottle holders and is 5 minutes from work, #2 is 2 minutes from work and has the slow pool and new/crappy TMs, #3 is 15 minutes from the house and has cool TM's and the fast pool and crappy bikes with no waterbottle holders. I am just lucky they are all 24 hour fitness gyms.
#6 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
I totally get it. I love my gym. Clean. Well kept. Awesome kid care.

Price is a bit steep (99/mo for family full access) but tons of free classes easily make up for it

Buit lately my eyes have drifted a bit... Price a little, bust mostly for one single reason.

My boys cannot swim in the lap pool.

They don't staff it with lifeguards and the boys are getting to big for the zero depth pool (not to mention 6ys exposure can get a bit old?). Now that my guys can both swim for "real" the little pool no longer has the appeal.

It will be 10yrs before my little one can use the lap pool.

That kind of sucks.

Ps tell them why you are leaving

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#7 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 PM

For being w/ATL Tri club I have access to all the city of atlanta gyms and rec centers. Too bad they're too far for me to make good use of on a regular basis. Lifetime is a little more $.

Hey-if anyone wants to use lifetime for their gym...use me as a referral and you will get $100 Lifetime bucks to use in your gym. I used them for 4 private swim lessons...I learned how to swim all 4 strokes and can make butterfly across the pool w/o getting out of breath! Money well earned/spent!

PM me for more details!

Testing!
#8 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

OK, I did it, I served them the papers. The front desk girl that has known me for 6 years was so sentimental that I almost changed my mind. I couldn't tell her the truth, I told her I'm moving.

Good thing is that most of the people I knew at the old gym are now at LA, so it's a familiar atmosphere. It's $70 for 2.
#9 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
I'd hate to have to leave my gym - I got in before the branch opened up in my hometown and after a steep entry fee, got a $19/mo for life contract. I imagine I'd have to pay a whole lot more if I had to reboot

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#10 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Now Chris...now why would a good republican lie to the gym receptionist? Wait till you run into her at the local pizza joint

Testing!
#11 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoonptdeux View Post
I'd hate to have to leave my gym - I got in before the branch opened up in my hometown and after a steep entry fee, got a $19/mo for life contract. I imagine I'd have to pay a whole lot more if I had to reboot

actually I used the fact that I paid one of those big entry fees for the first gym to get the next gym to give me a free "joining " fee. Since then I've been through a number of gyms, my needs change, so the gym changes. They make their money on all those peopel who join and then dont' even go but are embarassed to cancel or switch. I would tell the old gym why you left though.
#12 of 13 Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 3
I met once a couple at the gym, who had not been to the gym in 23 years. They kept the membership because they were grandfathered in at something like $20 a year for the family.

Switching up your routine is always good
#13 of 13 Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I don't use my gym much AT ALL, but I like to keep the membership for those days when the weather is bad and I have to run. My gym has no locker rooms, showers, or a pool, BUT it has child care for a small fee ($2 each time), AND it is about a 5 minute walk from my house. The best part is I only pay $10/month. For the price, it is AWESOME! I don't need a pool because the city pool, which is heated, is located just behind the gym in the park. Unfortunately, because of budget cuts, it wasn't open this winter. I haven't been swimming anyway, but that's a bummer. I can swim for $5 daily fee at another pool almost as close, though, so that's what I'll do once my marathon is over.

It would be hard to switch gyms if you are a regular there. I'm not that regular anymore, but I used to be.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page